Will eating less calories alone make you lose weight?

Options
I've been keeping my calorie count under my designated count and I've been losing weight but, will that continue if I don't exercise? Also, on the days I do exercise I have trouble keeping my calorie count above 1200. Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful tips to help me exercise more and keep my calorie count and exercise in check?

Replies

• healthykae
    healthykae Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I feel like that's normal.
    When I exercise, myfitnesspal automatically gives me some extra calories just for that purpose.
  • connamiragna
    Options
    Ive lost almost 30 pounds with NO exersize, but you gotta keep the calories low. But, this makes your arms sticks. As mine are. lol
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight with out exercising. However, it is not recommended. The exercise helps not only to burn the calories, but to boost your metabolism.

Basic idea is calorie in vs calories out.

I personally do not recommend this idea, but in basic ideas yes this can be done.
  • workinprogress12_2
    workinprogress12_2 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had to adjust my eating habits to lose weight so I could exercise. I would guess it would depend on how much you have to lose and how fast you want o lose it. In the beginning I had no plans of exercising, but when some of the weight came off I couldn't help but begin slowly with that too. God bless
  • lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If you reduce calories alone you will lose weight. Its 80% diet 20%excercise but excercising will help. If you are having a hard time eating excercise calories nuts are great and high in calories. Also try doing excercises that are fun to you like swimming, dancing, or maybe going for a walk.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Yep you'll continue to lose weight and muscle.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i lost almost 50 without stepping foot in a gym. i've very active in general, but i don't "work out".... i eat about 1600 a day now, and it's goin well so far :)
  • meka325
    meka325 Posts: 47
    Options
    The simple answer to this question is yes. Most of losing weight is diet. But I know that I, personally, don't want to be just thinner and still feel like c*** and have no muscles, no stamina, no athletic ability and not have alot of the health (not to mention mental health) benefits that come with regular physical activity. I guess its different for everyone, but fitness is an overall thing and I don't see a point in just becoming a weak waif. I once lost 50lb in 2 months when severely depressed, so I've been there. People will tell you you look good, too, but I didn't feel good at all. That's an extreme example, I know, but I'm just saying.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you may end up constantly hungry depending on your food choices. Read 'Why We Get Fat' by Gary Taubes--good explanation of calories and weight.
  • Nike1176
    Nike1176 Posts: 4
    Options
    There are pluses and minuses to that. Yes by all means, eating less calories wil help you lose weight, but also remember that there is a "starvation mode" system set up.. in your body. If you dont eat enough that can work against you and your body will store most of it as fat.

I have a great program I have been using and I am eating less calories, but I am literally eating every 2 hours! I am staying full and I feel great!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    A lot of people say that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I am the opposite, for me it's 80% exercise and 20% diet. I don't lose if I don't exercise no matter how well I eat. As long as I am exercising regularly I can pretty much eat whatever I want (within my calorie goal) and lose consistently.
  • StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump