Always hungry...and feel sick

Options
ok so...I've been on here awhile and down about 20 pds (have another 40 or so to go) anyways...lately I've been finding I'm constantly hungry. I will eat a good breakfast and be hungry 1.5 to 2 hours later. It doesn't matter if I eat protein..carbs..fats.. etc either way I'm hungry. And it continues all day. It's really just sheer will power to not go over my calories. And I'm set to lose 1 pd a week. I'm kind of at a loss here..if I don't eat either because I'm waiting for lunch/dinner time or just busy and can't I end up feeling sick..nauseous and heartburn when I do eat.
Any ideas on overcoming this or what could be causing it would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you!!!

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    How long have you been in a deficit? What are your calories set to? Exercise routine?

I like Intermittant fasting for this reason because I'm not always hungry in the morning.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    As G ^^ says re. time, limit and routine.

How long has it been going on? Have you spoken to your doctor?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    lisah180 wrote: »
    I end up feeling sick..nauseous and heartburn when I do eat.

Gall stones?

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    How aggressive is your deficit? How many calories are you eating per day?

When you say you eat a good breakfast, what are you eating? Foods that are high in fat in protein will keep a person feeling fuller longer. It could be you aren't eating enough of those.

For the heartburn/nausea: are you eating foods that are acidic? Could you potentially have an ulcer/ gall stones?
  • lisah180
    lisah180 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've been counting since May maybe? My calories are set to around 1700 and I have been running 6-8 miles a week and usually a day or two of cycling. I stand and walk all day at my job as well. I usually end up for the day eating about 2000 cals and still within my cal range due to exercise.
    I've been to the dr previously for the same issue she tested for thyroid and blood sugar issues but everything's normal there. Course it's been a year or 2 since than...
  • Azexas
    Options
    What are your fat and protein goals?

Do you eat back your exercise calories? How did you determine your TDEE? If you are that active, it could be that you are not eating enough throughout the day.
  • mikkey
    mikkey Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Reflux, Food intolerance, celiac disease, carcinoid tumors and gallstones can make you feel this way. Any increased thirst? Any family history of diabetes? Also, how much are you eating at once? Are you eating a lot at once?
  • sanjay5674
    sanjay5674 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cute baby - any chance you're pregnant?
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this helps, but I find that I get low blood sugar if I don't eat every few hours. Once I get past a certain point, I feel sick, and just awful. When I do eat, I struggle as until my blood sugar goes up, I just feel ill. You said you tested ok for blood sugar before, but maybe go back and get a fasting blood test done, to just make sure.
  • pwh300
    pwh300 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I end up feeling sick..nauseous and heartburn when I do eat.

Gall stones?

Funny you say that. Just went to the Drs with this same complaint. Gallbladder attack was the diagnoses and off for an ultrasound. I'll have the results Monday or Tuesday.

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    You might need an acid blocker--the nausea/hunger is how I feel if I forget to take mine. I'd definitely talk to your doctor.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    ok so...I've been on here awhile and down about 20 pds (have another 40 or so to go) anyways...lately I've been finding I'm constantly hungry. I will eat a good breakfast and be hungry 1.5 to 2 hours later. It doesn't matter if I eat protein..carbs..fats.. etc either way I'm hungry. And it continues all day. It's really just sheer will power to not go over my calories. And I'm set to lose 1 pd a week. I'm kind of at a loss here..if I don't eat either because I'm waiting for lunch/dinner time or just busy and can't I end up feeling sick..nauseous and heartburn when I do eat.
    Any ideas on overcoming this or what could be causing it would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Thank you!!!

See a doctor. Gallbladder is one possibility. I experienced similar symptoms with kidney stones. It could be any number of things, but you need to get checked out by a physician.

Are you sufficiently hydrated? Drinking more could help a bit with your perception of hunger.
  • lisah180
    Options
    Sorry not sure what tdee is? I just plugged in my weight, height etc and let mfp tell me what it should be?
    No increased thirst and I don't know my family history (adopted) fat and protein are also just whatever mfp defaults to.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm always hungry 2 hours after breakfast. So I usually have a late breakfast 2 hours before lunch. LOL!

I do suspect the acid reflux in your case. Got the same thing with my beginnings of an ulcer.
  • lisah180
    Options
    A normal meal for me is for example this morning I had 1.5 cup of kashi go lean cereal and a cup of blueberries with1/2 cup milk and black coffee. Lunch was a stuffed pepper from last nights dinner and strawberries.. I am planning on a apple with a tbs of peanut butter before my run this afternoon..and not sure what dinner is going to be yet
  • pwh300
    Options
    I did the same let MFP pick my calorie intake to lose weight. Mine is 1000 to 1200 a day.

I agree go to the Dr's
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    pwh300 wrote: »
    I did the same let MFP pick my calorie intake to lose weight. Mine is 1000 to 1200 a day.

I agree go to the Dr's

MFP won't recommend under 1200, so where did the 1000 come from?
  • Azexas
    Options
    A normal meal for me is for example this morning I had 1.5 cup of kashi go lean cereal and a cup of blueberries with1/2 cup milk and black coffee. Lunch was a stuffed pepper from last nights dinner and strawberries.. I am planning on a apple with a tbs of peanut butter before my run this afternoon..and not sure what dinner is going to be yet

Sorry- TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure. Basically how many calories you burn daily.

Your breakfast (to me at least) sounds very carb heavy. Nothing wrong with carbs, but in my experience, I'm don't feel satisfied with too many carbs in a meal. You can try adding some eggs, which are a good source of proteins and fats. Peanut butter is also a great fat/protein source. (make sure to measure it out on a food scale). MFP protein recommendations are low, but think of those macros more as a minimum, not a maximum.

I would also recommend seeing a gastroenterologist for the heart burn/ nausea just to rule out anything major and play it safe.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options

Whatever the brand or type of cereal I eat I too always get hungry very quickly it doesn't work for. When I have things like boiled eggs, feta cheese or some sort of meat with tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers etc they keep me going for longer. Also omelettes are brilliant when packed with veg cooked with cooking spray.
  • pwh300
    Options
    I do Breakfast....snack...lunch snack...dinner....snack...I eat small meals due to the acid reflux and now gallbladder diagnoses. The Dr said the calorie intake I do is fine to continue. Grant it I do not always stay within those #'s.