WHY does drinking lots of water help weight loss?

Options
So, I know from experience that when I drink more water I lose more weight. Also lots of people on the forums recommend drinking more water to assist weightloss. So I want to know, does anyone know scientifically WHY it helps?
(and I don't mean ridiculous amounts of water, just 8-10 glasses a day)

Just wondering...

thanks. :)

Replies

• wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Being hydrated makes your body function more efficiently. Your body holds on to water if you don't give it enough which in effect is not techically your true weight. 5 lbs of water weight drop is not 5 lbs of weight lost. I don't consider my loss to be true until it is at or below the same weight for two weeks or more. My weight fluxuates 1-4 lbs on a given week up then down.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    By definition, a KCalorie, is the amount of energy required to raise a Litre of water by 1 degree. By that account, when you drink ice water, it needs to be raised to body temperature while going through the digestive system.

So the simple act of ingesting and digesting cold water, brings about a secondary calorie burn of its own from the energy required to warm it to body temperature after drinking.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Water is the giver of life. It does many things for us... Here are but three examples of how water helps you lose weight.

1. One of the symptoms of being dehydrated (even mildly so) is that your body thinks its hungry (instead of thirsty). When you are hungry, you'll eat. By drinking water, you prevent dehydration and keep your body from being hungry.

2. Water flushes your system of toxins and helps your body process waste more efficiently.

3. Water volumizes food. If you looked at a can of soup and just ate the solid food part, how long do you think it would be before you were hungry? Now if you made a pot of soup how long before you were hungry again? By adding volume to food, it fills your stomach faster and takes longer for your body to process.

Hope that makes sense?

Cheers and bottoms up on the H20
  • Losershawn
    Losershawn Posts: 152
    Options
    Its not scientific but check out my blog post on water!
  • nmchrist
    nmchrist Posts: 2
    Options
    In addition to keeping you well hydrated, drinking water helps you to feel fuller so you are less inclined to overeat.
  • nmchrist
    nmchrist Posts: 2
    Options
    In addition to keeping you well hydrated, drinking water helps you to feel fuller so you are less inclined to overeat.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Short answer: It helps the plumbing.
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Not only what all the others have said, but it also helps on those days when you eat a lot of sodium filled foods and when TOM is creeping around.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    ^ What everyone else said AND...

If you're drinking water, you're not drinking something else. (Soda! Sugar = bad!)