How did you get into jogging/running?

Options
So I'm not a small girl by any means, I have alot of work to do but believe it or not I found I actually "like" jogging/running. (small short bursts currently. I walk for a bit then jog, then walk, then jog)

I just hate the treadmill or jogging in place. Now that the nice weather is here I'm thinking of taking my walking/jogging outside.
How did you go from being a walker, to a runner? Did you slowly work up to it?

Replies

• sirphilipe
    sirphilipe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The C25k program has been working for me and there are some great apps for it for the iPhone!
  • RoseCoreling
    RoseCoreling Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've always been a runner, but after giving birth to my son (I had stopped running throughout my pregnancy) I started running again when the doc cleared it. OMG was it TOUGH!!!! Before getting pregnant, I was running 4 miles a day, 5 days a week. It was slow to start. I began by starting slow (more of like a jog speed) and only running 2 miles..I didn't care how long it took me, I was going to do at least 2. I eventually just kept plugging at it and it got easier and easier. When I felt comfortable enough, I went up to 2.5 and so on. It's a lot of work initially, but it pays off and become SO much easier!!! Just keep going at it and you'll get there!
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Walk runs like you're doing now are a great way to ease into it. :-) Try to slowly decrease the amount of time you walk and increase the amount of time you run. Eventually your endurance with build and you won't have to walk anymore!
  • Mando55
    Mando55 Posts: 140
    Options
    Nike Plus was a big help when I started.
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I am just now starting to jog. During my 30 min walk, I will walk 4 minutes and then jog 1 minute...until I reach 30 mins. Once I get better I plan to boost it up to 2 minutes, then 3 minutes, etc.... Good luck! I'm looking forward to being able to job/run for the entire 30 minutes
  • Polefit163
    Polefit163 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try the C25K program and it's okay to repeat weeks. Check out Running into Shape, there are some free podcast that have been very helpful.

Good luck!
  • AMSull19
    AMSull19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    totally agree with the intervals of walking/running. thats how i trained for my first 5k w/in a year of having my baby...i was so out of shape and after about 2 weeks of intervals, i was running the full 30 mins.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I never actually followed the c25k program, I kinda made up my own. But there are so many success stories out there for the c25k program. You only increase your mileage by 10% each week. So, if you ran 1 mile one week, only run 1.1 miles the next week. You will learn to love it. And I still do walk/run intervals, it's part of the training. Since I started running 1 year ago, I have completed 3 5k's, a 10k that I did at home, 1 half marathon, and a 5 mile run and bruch with olympic marathon Ryan Hall and his marathoner wife, Sara. I have a 5k planned mid June, and will be doing another half in November. I really want my first full to be in Chicago, so I'm shooting for Oct 2012. You will become addicted, enjoy it.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I started with a 3K (just over 1.5 miles) route last spring. I would run what I could and walk when I had to. Everytime I went out I tried to run a little bit further than the last time. After 2 months I was running the whole 3K without stopping, so then I expanded it to a 5K (3 mile) and did the same thing.
    I increased my distance pretty quickly this way and ran a half marathon in September. You will get there. Don't hurt yourself though. Once you get running, don't increase your miles run per week by more than 10 percent. That way you will avoid injuries. I went out too much too soon (too many days) and hurt my knee. I'm still fighting that injury.
    Have fun with it and be patient, you'll get there!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm also a big fan of the C25K program. I used the Podrunner Intervals podcasts that you can find on iTunes. Remember to take a day off between runs, usually I run three days a week and do weight training and elliptical/bike the other days. Overuse injuries are so easy to get when you start out doing too much too fast.

I had never ran a mile before in my life until last spring. I was 38 years old!!! Now I'm 39 and training for my first half marathon (for September) and maybe a 25k next spring!!! Running ROCKS!
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound really dumb but I thought the C25K was only for the treadmill, but I printed off the treadmill version!
    DUH!
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    Is there a local running store near you? They frequently have 'beginning' training groups similar to C25k, but you get to work together as a group. I did that and met a few ladies who adopted me and we went from 'can't' to our first 1/2 marathon last week.
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I started running/jogging basically because I was bored with the cardio machine at the gym and it was a challenge. I'd always hated having to run in gym at school and never did it unless I was forced to, but I saw this as a new challenge.

I highly recommend the couch to 5k challenge. It's a push, but do-able and completely rewarding. Then, I slowly upped my distance. Ran a couple of 5Ks, then a 10k, a half- marathon, and I'm about to run my second half-marathon next weekend.

I did the c25k program on the treadmill. I rarely run on it now because it's super boring and enjoy being outdoors so much better. I found the treadmill helpful though at the beginning, because it helped with my pacing-- when I had first tried to do it outdoors I had no idea what my comfort pace felt like. Now I know.
  • Slow_Wisco_Runner
    Slow_Wisco_Runner Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a 5K race, then started the Couch to 5K program! It works!! Good luck!
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I decided last year to just start doing it.

I'm not fully there yet but I've made progress each time I start it back up (then life gets int eh way and I ahve to stop)
  • Sara2525
    Sara2525 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about the C25K but I personally don't like watching the time when I'm running outside. It's ok for the TM but I'd rather watch the scenery when outside. I started by running as far as I could and walked when I couldn't run any more. When I caught my breath, I would run again until I couldn't. Don't try to start out too fast and eventually you will be running further than you imagined you could! Signing up for a 5K could also add motivation.

Good luck and have fun!
  • CyborgDreamSt8
    Options
    I got into jogging when I was trying to join the Navy. I had about 40 pounds to lose just to get to the top of the chart of eligibility. I started jogging as part of a pre-boot camp workout and I fell in love with it. In my opinion it is the best type of exercise ever and I feel so good after doing it. However, I will admit that jogging/running is NOT for everyone. Some people really do just hate it so you will have to figure out if you are one of those people. Gotta get out there and give it a try to figure it out.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    I walked around the little block here for 10 minutes.
    I was so exhausted I actually took a nap, really fell Asleep.
    Yup
    So I walked some more, every day, at my own pace, at my own pace of improvement
    and there it went.
    Added 5 second of jogging in the middle of my half hour.
    then added 5 minutes of slow jogwalking in the middle of my 35 min walk.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html