Throwing Up While Running - Why?

Options
I did a fairly slow run today -- about a 10 min/mile pace. I haven't run in about a week because I've been sick, but I was feeling fine this morning. All that was wrong with me was a slightly stuffed up nose. Anyway, about 20 minutes into my run, I had to completely stop and sit down because I started gagging and feeling like I was going to throw up. I didn't throw up and finished my run (I only had a minute or so left), but I've never felt like throwing up when I wasn't trying to run full speed. This wasn't full speed. Has anyone experienced this before? Do you know what causes it and how to prevent it?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Definitely testicular cancer
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Try to avoid running, if you can. Oh and HAPPY SATURDAY!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    • How many calories are you eating daily?
    • Do you eat before your runs? Examples?
    • Are you properly hydrated?
  • kittykaida
    kittykaida Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If my nose is stuffed up, I start feeling like I'm going to urf, too. I don't have any answers, but know that you are not alone!
  • TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
    Options
    So this may not be it at all, but I'm throwing out a different idea.

I see in your profile that you're 5'4". I am 5'3". Due to stride, I could not comfortably run past 5mph. Are you sure that you are not over-exerting yourself? Unless you are competing, I know many aim for a conversational pace. You should be able to comfortably talk while running. If you slow yourself down to this pace, do you vomit?

Consider this after all the typical: Are you hydrated, did you eat before, etc.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You may have been dehydrated or possibly just running too hard. I know you said you were running slow for you, but you still may have been pushing your heart rate too high- mine tends to stay high when I'm sick. That + not breathing easily could have meant you were pushing yourself beyond what you were really up for.
    Isaack is right too, it also could have been something you ate or your hydration.
    Take your next run super easy- based of perceived exertion or HR instead of pace, and see what happens.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    Feeding the baby birds when there aren't any. Nice! :-)
  • AbbyStrong115
    AbbyStrong115 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm 5"4' and can run a 6:15 min mile. Height has little to do with it. It's training. I've been running and doing speed work 2-3 times a week for 4 years. Anybody could do it. I started out slow! (10 min miles or slower for long runs) now I have 4 halves under my belt and absolutely love it!

1. Check your diet the day before and even the night before if your doing long runs. I run early morning on an empty stomach or I get side cramps or nauseous. Some people can eat pb sandwich or all sorts of things but I'd experiment with what and how close to your run to figure out your limits.
    2. Watch the weather. If it's too warm I'll get nauseous as well, which is why I'm up at 4:30am during the week and 6 or 7 on weekends to run in the summer, before it warms up.

Don't let this minor set back get you down. My husband pushed me to keep it up when I wanted to give up running several times and the last few years I'm loving it. You can get over the hump just monitor what works for you. And know you're a rockstar! Running will only get easier and faster with time! I promise!

Check out the book The Complete Book of Running for Women by Claire Kowalchik. It answers all sorts of questions and has lots of good tips.
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    AbbysAbs wrote: »
    Okay I'm 5"4' and can run a 6:15 min mile. Height has little to do with it. It's training. I've been running and doing speed work 2-3 times a week for 4 years. Anybody could do it. I started out slow! (10 min miles or slower for long runs) now I have 4 halves under my belt and absolutely love it!

1. Check your diet the day before and even the night before if your doing long runs. I run early morning on an empty stomach or I get side cramps or nauseous. Some people can eat pb sandwich or all sorts of things but I'd experiment with what and how close to your run to figure out your limits.
    2. Watch the weather. If it's too warm I'll get nauseous as well, which is why I'm up at 4:30am during the week and 6 or 7 on weekends to run in the summer, before it warms up.

Don't let this minor set back get you down. My husband pushed me to keep it up when I wanted to give up running several times and the last few years I'm loving it. You can get over the hump just monitor what works for you. And know you're a rockstar! Running will only get easier and faster with time! I promise!

Check out the book The Complete Book of Running for Women by Claire Kowalchik. It answers all sorts of questions and has lots of good tips.

Great advice. I used to get nauseous too but now I carry water with me if I run longer than 45 minutes and I don't get nauseous any more.

• Rogue_Esq
    Rogue_Esq Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies.

I didn't eat anything before the run and I drank about 8 oz of water a few minutes before going out. I can normally handle only a banana, at most, before a run or I get cramps.

I considered the weather too, especially because I run with my dog, who has insane amounts of energy even after a run, and even she started lagging a bit before that time, but it was like 72 degrees. Not too bad.

As for distance, it was short. Just a little over 2 miles.

Maybe it WAS my inability to properly breath, since I was mostly breathing through my mouth. Although, I am terrible at monitoring my breathing in general.

I hope it was a one time thing. I've been running on and off for fun/sport since I was a teen. It's pretty much the only "sport" I do, so that's why I am confused. This isn't something that I'm trying to do for the first time. It was a bit of a peculiar issue for me.
  • Rogue_Esq
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Try to avoid running, if you can. Oh and HAPPY SATURDAY!
    LOL! Forever?! ;)
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'll try to avoid being gross here, but, if you were just getting off a cold, you might of still had a lot of mucus in your nose/throat, and that set off your gag reflex as it started running towards your stomach. I find that running really shifts any mucus I have in my nose no matter my health, so this might have been it.

As you didn't actually throw up, I wouldn't worry to much. If it happens another 2 or 3 times, then I'd go to the doctor just in case, but I'd say it was your cold.
  • Rogue_Esq
    Options
    I'll try to avoid being gross here, but, if you were just getting off a cold, you might of still had a lot of mucus in your nose/throat, and that set off your gag reflex as it started running towards your stomach. I find that running really shifts any mucus I have in my nose no matter my health, so this might have been it.

As you didn't actually throw up, I wouldn't worry to much. If it happens another 2 or 3 times, then I'd go to the doctor just in case, but I'd say it was your cold.

Hmm, that's interesting. I'll chalk it up to the cold too, although the cold was mostly from last week. The stuffy nose is kind of the remnants of it. Poor little body got beat up I guess.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you're hydrated and as long as you aren't getting dizzy or fainting or anything, I think you're fine. You might have just ran a day or two too early.

Hopefully it's gone!
    Good luck!!!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    novaTess wrote: »
    Maybe it WAS my inability to properly breath, since I was mostly breathing through my mouth.

I pretty much always breath through my mouth when running except for running through a cloud of insects.

Don't worry about a one-off problem. Everyone has a bad day or off tummy once in a while. If it becomes a regular thing, then we can all worry with you and figure it out.

• wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that if you were feeling sick and stuffed up, you may also be clogged up in your ears. If your ears are filled with mucus as well, that can cause you to feel dizzy more easily. Perhaps that made you feel more nauseous once you started moving. Idk if that's the case or not, but if it is, you may just need your sinuses to clear out before you go full steam again.
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I first started running for distance. My mistake was going too fast. I know 10min/mile seems slow, but it's actually kind of fast when first starting jogging. Try jogging even slower 12-15min/mile (4-5 mph), essentially at a "fast walking" pace. Learn to control and pace your breathing, not faster than 1 breath in every 2 steps, and 1 breath out every 2 steps. Don't be afraid to stop when you need to. Gradually increase your distance, and then speed.