1,200 calories per day

Options
I'm new to this. Can someone tell me where I can get recipes to eat at this low calorie intake and not be starving??? I need help

Replies

• Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love yummly.com. Amazing website filled with lots of recipes and most have the calorie/nutrition count. 1200 calories a day isn't easy. MFP has me set at 1290 to lose 1lbs/week. To make it easier eat lots of vegetables! Super filling, looks like a lot when layed on the plate and low in calories! I avoid eating a lot of fruit because they are generally higher in calories than vegetables, but still some fruit is good and great for sugar cravings! Switch to high fiber grains (brown bread/pasta etc). Again, these will keep you fuller for longer and don't have as much an impact on blood sugar levels compared to white carbs. Make sure to include protein in every meal! My go too breakfast is eggs and my lunch and dinner always nearly include chicken. Planning really is the key to sticking to your calorie limit. Plan all your meals in advance. I plan all my dinners for the week ahead on a friday (thats when I do my food shop) and then plan my breakfast and lunch around what calories I have left, usually the night before.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Planning the night before is key for me to stay on track.
  • khizargoraya69
    khizargoraya69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Anyone there
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Another major thing for me is to allow yourself a cheat meal! Not every day of course, but every now and then. Personally I don't really plan mine. But I listen to my body and when it's really craving a treat I'll have one. It usually ends up being every 2-3 weeks.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    What maquillage said, plus exercise to give yourself more calories to play with. My go to breakfast is Greek yogurt and 1/2 cup of fruit. At my morning break, I eat a packet of instant oatmeal. At lunch I ate salad with tuna or chicken and use salsa for dressing. I eat whatever is on the family menu for dinner, just a smaller portion. I have been been at my goal weight for 18 months now, so I eat more now, but it worked. I promise.
  • Dholland5219
    Dholland5219 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's really hard. I just some some chips and dip. At work stressed out. Felt bad about what I ate, so I just climb 6 flights of stairs lol. I try again for the rest of the day.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com is also a good one. I second Maquillage_'s post. Veggies and lean proteins are pretty much key to not feeling hungry on a high deficit. Tinned tuna is one of my staples, along with white meat chicken and eggs. If you're used to eating big meals, you're going to have a bit of an adjustment period ahead of you, amd drinking lots and lots of calorie free liquids really helps with hunger.

I found that planning/logging my meals in advance and trying to eat them at scheduled times helped keep me from cheating when I started out too. I had a habit of eating all my calories early in the day and then going way over at night because I felt bad about it, haha.
  • Soyviz
    Soyviz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat; 1232 daily, with a little wiggle room due to exercise. Try Explore Asian's high protein low carb bean pastas. With tasty tomato sauce one serving is very filling. Not as good as regular pasta, but still :)
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I love yummly.com. Amazing website filled with lots of recipes and most have the calorie/nutrition count. 1200 calories a day isn't easy. MFP has me set at 1290 to lose 1lbs/week. To make it easier eat lots of vegetables! Super filling, looks like a lot when layed on the plate and low in calories! I avoid eating a lot of fruit because they are generally higher in calories than vegetables, but still some fruit is good and great for sugar cravings! Switch to high fiber grains (brown bread/pasta etc). Again, these will keep you fuller for longer and don't have as much an impact on blood sugar levels compared to white carbs. Make sure to include protein in every meal! My go too breakfast is eggs and my lunch and dinner always nearly include chicken. Planning really is the key to sticking to your calorie limit. Plan all your meals in advance. I plan all my dinners for the week ahead on a friday (thats when I do my food shop) and then plan my breakfast and lunch around what calories I have left, usually the night before.

I did not ask the question, but thank you for the advice of planning a week ahead! I plan 1 day ahead, sometimes 2, but a week makes a lot more sense. I find myself at work on day 3, trying to eat "fast" and staying within macros, which never happens. Best!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I average 1200/day. It was 1147 last month, I think.

I am never, ever starving. I get hungry, I eat.

Try eating healthier foods. It's very difficult to go hungry when you eat a lot of fruits and veggies. Whole grain breads are pretty filling, too, where white ones leave you wondering if there is even food down there, lol.

Nature Valley Crunchy Granola bars! They may not be the healthiest things on the planet, but they are so extremely filling. They come 2 to a pack and even one is nice and filling, especially with a little cottage cheese. Yummy, too!

It's okay to be hungry when you're dieting, but it isn't necessary! :)
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    1200 seems a little low - you could probably afford to eat a few hundred calories more; I eat 1600-2000 calories a day depending on exercise, and have been consistently losing weight (7 lbs in 5 weeks). As a guide, try eating 350-400 calories per meal, and allow yourself 200 calories for snacks in between.

For recipes, I would suggest skinnytaste or eat-yourself-skinny.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a meal plan menu I've saved. It's too low calorie for me, but I liked that it included everyday food- nothing special or weird. I get quite a bit of exercise so I average out to 1700 calories per day.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/advice/a20559/lose-weight-meals-oct04/
  • kittyjj1983
    kittyjj1983 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! Planning ahead of time is a struggle due to having a new born...lol.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! Planning ahead of time is a struggle due to having a new born...lol.
    Just FYI, if you are breastfeeding, you will need more than 1200. And congrats!

• JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat at that caloric level. Before I always gave up because I was always hungry. This time I am eating a lot of greens and sprouts (I like them, not out of "dietary duty"). After a salad with oil or fatty dressing I am satisfied with smaller portions of carbs and protein. And as usual, lots of water, especially after eating all that fiber.

As for recipes, Eating Light is a good source. I eat/cook almost any recipe. I just look for ways to reduce the calories. For example, I just made pasta sauce that called for 4 tablespoons of oil plus I forget how much butter. Eliminated the butter and used only 1 T oil. Maybe not as yummy but, hey I can still have some pasta or homemade pizza and stay below my calorie goal.

• Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    OP, what's your height and weight? 1200 calories could be too low for you...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com is also a good one. I second Maquillage_'s post. Veggies and lean proteins are pretty much key to not feeling hungry on a high deficit. Tinned tuna is one of my staples, along with white meat chicken and eggs. If you're used to eating big meals, you're going to have a bit of an adjustment period ahead of you, amd drinking lots and lots of calorie free liquids really helps with hunger.

I found that planning/logging my meals in advance and trying to eat them at scheduled times helped keep me from cheating when I started out too. I had a habit of eating all my calories early in the day and then going way over at night because I felt bad about it, haha.

Yep!

I ate at 1200 for a couple of years and was not starving at all. I am a large, active person, but needed to go that low for medical reasons.

It can be done.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Congrats! Once you have a few staple meals under your belt, planning ahead gets a lot easier. Then it's just a matter of mixing and matching meals based on what you're doing that day, and what you have in the fridge.
  • momma_4boys
    momma_4boys Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to lose weight please ignore the advice that says "a little wiggle room with exercise" You do not eat back your exercise burn until you are at maintenance or gain mode. If you eat back the calories that you burned then whats the point? And you risk that the burn number you're using is off so you think you burned 500 calories and eat back 300. Well you likely burned less than 500 (how do we really know the most accurate number? if we did the exact same exercise right next to each other and at the same pace etc. One of us is likely to burn more than the other) so you may eat back more than your truly accurate burn amount.
    Eat 1200 calories, burn 600 and you will lose weight!! Take your measurements too because if you increase your activity level you will start burning fat but building muscle and that's difficult to see on the scale. You can however see it much easier on the tape measure and with how your clothes start to fit you.
    Good Luck!!
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people only eat 1200 calories. Are you real short? I am 5'5 and eat 1500 a day and still lose 2 pounds or more a week..I do walk a lot,but nothing earth shattering.Just curious,not bashing. I would be eating my arm at only 1200 calories.