The scales ain't moving

Options
ive stuck to below 1200 Cals per day and exercised 500 Cals but no weight loss ????? Anyone any idea why?

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    How long have you done this for?

So basically you're netting 700 cals. Bad idea, the body needs more than that.
  • plaffo786
    plaffo786 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've been slowly increasing exercise for two weeks I've lost 10lbs in 4 weeks ( with some pigging out) I see toning but the scales have stopped moving
  • plaffo786
    Options
    Thanks for the reply btw
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    • Starting Weight
    • Current Weight
    • Goal Weight
    • How long since the scales haven't moved
    • Open your diary
  • plaffo786
    Options
    37, 5'9, 11.3 goal 10.7, current 11.7, 4 days, lost the initial 8 lbs consistently but since I started exercising its slowed down
  • skinnyinnotime
    Options
    You said you've had no weight loss, then say you've lost 10lbs in 4 weeks?! That's a very good loss!

If you've just started exercising your body will need to adjust to that. Make sure you're netting at least 1200 cals a day. Weight loss won't be the same every week, just be patient, keep at a sensible deficit and you'll see the results.
  • plaffo786
    Options
    Yeah sorry I wasn't clear, I'd lost that and then stopped, think I need to get my mind around slow and steady thanks for the advice
  • apocketofcelery
    apocketofcelery Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You've probably lost fat and gained some muscle! Especially since you're exercising so much and have noticed toning. The scales might not move because muscle is denser than fat, so you should use a tape measure to help figure out how much fat you're losing!
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    4 days is nothing honestly. I'll go days without losing and then one day I'll step on the scale and it will be down. Be consistent with your logging (please use a food scale) and it will happen. This doesn't happen very quickly..
  • skinnyinnotime
    Options
    plaffo786 wrote: »
    Yeah sorry I wasn't clear, I'd lost that and then stopped, think I need to get my mind around slow and steady thanks for the advice

Please don't apologise, I know only too well how impatient we can be to get those desired results!

Good luck!

• liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    How long have you done this for?

So basically you're netting 700 cals. Bad idea, the body needs more than that.
    plaffo786 wrote: »
    ive stuck to below 1200 Cals per day and exercised 500 Cals but no weight loss ????? Anyone any idea why?

I'm also on a 1200 cal day diet, but I do eat 75% of my exercise calories back now, but only clean food. I remember when I started, I ate 1200 of frozen sodium meals, and kept a lot of water weight. Do you eat clean (outer isles of grocery only)?

• plaffo786
    Options
    Thanks ladies much appreciated
  • kjspurr1
    kjspurr1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    10 lbs in 4 weeks is phenomenal. It's taken me over 5 months to lose 15 lbs. Expect the scale to go up and down (especially if you weigh every day), but on the whole if you are exercising and eating 1200 calories/day you should lose at least 1 lb/week.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    kali31337 wrote: »
    4 days is nothing honestly. I'll go days without losing and then one day I'll step on the scale and it will be down. Be consistent with your logging (please use a food scale) and it will happen. This doesn't happen very quickly..

Quoted this for the food scale advice. Wow. 8 ounces of protein isn't much. Even after you cook it... :(

• plaffo786
    Options
    Thanks liftingheavy think I'll rejig to cleaner greener options, will start focusing on what I see rather than the scales, cheers girls feeling motivated again :D
  • stm712015
    stm712015 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is like stair steps. Drop, plateau, drop, plateau. A lot of times when someone firsts starts dieting there's an initial big loss that's mostly water weight. This isn't a bad thing, it's just that your body burns glycogen which is your immediate energy source. Glycogen is stored in water (4 grams for every 1 gram of glycogen). When your body starts burning fat which requires much less water to store, the weight loss slows. Also, changes in hormones throughout the month can make a big difference. I retain weight the week of my period for instance. Did you take measurements? They're great for keeping your spirits up when you're having a slow week. I like to get out the measuring tape and see the progress when I don't see it on the scale. Hang in there. You've already had a super loss, and slow and steady is what's going to get you there.
  • plaffo786
    Options
    Cheers stm that may very well be playing a part great advice here really motivating Support