Early morning run

Options
Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you run first thing in the morning after you get up. I was thinking of doing this, but I don't know if it would "work" considering I wouldn't have had anything to eat since the night before.

I'd be doing this at 5 am.

Thanks,

Replies

• Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Nutrition wise, you can grab something when you get up before you go. Something that will give you a quick burst of energy is best since your body won't have time to digest it much. Dried fruit works well. If you can, try to eat about 20 minutes before you go. Also, make sure you stretch really well! Morning runners get injured more often than afternoon or evening runners since your body hasn't had time to warm up and become more flexible. :-)
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's almost the only time I run. I brush my teeth, down a glass of water, fill a bottle for the run and go. If I wake up feeling hungry, I will grab a banana. I make sure I eat immediately after I am done - usually a protein shake. I don't have time to do it any other time. I actually find I prefer to run on an empty stomach although I am sure some will disagree. I don't "power out" the way some say can happen.
  • erinnicolette
    Options
    Good luck to you! UGH! I could never imagine getting up THAT early to go running- why so early???
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    I don't personally like to run first thing in the morning, but I know a lot of people who do. On Saturdays when I do get ups at o'dark hundred to run I grab something warm to drink and half a power bar while I'm waking up, or a piece of toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Never had any stomach problems with those 2 options. I have a friend who has exactly 3 sips of coffee, 1/2 banana and a teaspoon of peanut butter. I don't think I could do it with nothing in my system, but it could depend on how far you are planning on running.
    You never know what will work for you until you try it!
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    Eat a piece of toast or fruit or even a drink of milk before your run.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I do most of my workouts in the morning. I like to get it out of the way....I have been on vacation this week at the beach and have run first thing every day. During normal days, I get up at 5 am and do either Insanity workouts or weight work outs with The Firm or the DVD's.......If I don't, I dread my workout all day!!
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! UGH! I could never imagine getting up THAT early to go running- why so early???

I'm up every day at 5 to leave for work by 7. Most of the time I'm either come home late from work, or I have plans in the evening. I figure the only time I know I'm not going to be doing anything at all is from 5 to 6. Well, I guess I could still be sleeping....LOL!!
  • lauristewart
    Options
    I normally don't eat before I work out in the AM but drink water!
  • fleureiffel
    fleureiffel Posts: 17
    Options
    i don't like to eat before a morning run. makes me feel nausea. afterward i will have a protein shake and lots of water. of course i'm running 2-3mi max at this point. if you're running longer distance, may want something light to eat (pb & toast) 20 min like others said
  • Rach911
    Rach911 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts in the morning. When I first wake up I have a glass of water, 1 TBSP of peanut butter on a slice of bread. Then I go about getting ready (bathroom, changing, etc) and then go! It gives me enough to get my body moving, but not so much that my stomach hurts from being too full. Then within 30 mins of finishing my workout I have my full breakfast. Good luck!
  • buckyswider
    Options
    I bike well before sunrise. Before the weather broke it was the gym at the same time. I bike 35-40 miles and am home by the time The Kid gets up at 7AM! I always have a diet mountain dew and a fiber plus chocolate chip bar before I start. Not so much because I'm worried about lack of energy, but because I've always heard that your body needs a little something to break out of "starvation mode" in order to start burning more fat. I've also read that caffeine helps get the fat burning. Now, both those factoids might be Urban Legends, but it really works for me....
  • Hotlanta123
    Hotlanta123 Posts: 12
    Options
    My weekend runs are early morning. I get up at 5 and head to the woods to get in some trail miles. I eat before I get in the car to drive to the forest, so I have plenty of time for it to digest. Generally, for a shorter run, I don't eat before. And for longer runs, I try to eat 30 minutes prior to running so that it digests a little.
  • lauristewart
    Options
    I bike well before sunrise. Before the weather broke it was the gym at the same time. I bike 35-40 miles and am home by the time The Kid gets up at 7AM! I always have a diet mountain dew and a fiber plus chocolate chip bar before I start. Not so much because I'm worried about lack of energy, but because I've always heard that your body needs a little something to break out of "starvation mode" in order to start burning more fat. I've also read that caffeine helps get the fat burning. Now, both those factoids might be Urban Legends, but it really works for me....

Someone after my own heart!! Dt mt dew and a "chiP bar" (that is what we call them!) A GREAT pair!
  • carolynhaywood
    Options
    I run in the morning. I get up at 5 and eat a small bowl of cereal, oatmeal or an omelet with a cup of coffee. I warm up with back, ab exercises and stretches for 30 min starting around 6. Then I run for 30. I am new to running an am increasing my time each week by 5 min.

I love running in the morning. It is so nice to hear the birds singing and very nice not to hear the sound of people. It's also so much cooler. I get a great start to my day - full of energy and raring to go!

I have never had problems from eating. Never felt sick, etc.