The scale keeps going up but I look skinnier in the mirror

Options
Everytime, I get on the scale it goes up. Now, I know muscle ways more than fat but I went from 148 lbs to 159 lbs in a day and ate the same but my body just grew. Now the scale won't stop going up. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    kmlonchar wrote: »
    Everytime, I get on the scale it goes up. Now, I know muscle ways more than fat but I went from 148 lbs to 159 lbs in a day and ate the same but my body just grew. Now the scale won't stop going up. Anyone have any suggestions?

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1lb of muscle is the same as 1lb of fat. Muscle is more DENSE than fat.

What kind of time frame is this happening in? How accurate is your scale? Are you weighing under the exact same parameters every day? (Scale on hard surface, same clothing or naked, post bathroom, etc)
  • katepace1
    katepace1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    At this point, I'd gauge my success by the way my clothes fit rather than what the scale says. Don't even step on it for a while. :)
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    10lbs in a day? What do you mean your body just grew? Sounds like a scale error or you forgot to take off your shoes one day

Edited...why does MFP keep dropping parts of my comments after posting?? Anyways if it continues to climb significantly each day you need a doc...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It sounds like natural weight fluctuation. I weight 5pounds more on Monday morning than I did last Friday, but today I was five pounds down. It's not fat gain/loss, but water and natural weight fluctuation that can result from a variety of factors.
  • kmlonchar
    kmlonchar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The scale is on a hard surface and I weight the exact same time everyday with the same weight of clothes. I weigh at 8 in the morning after using the bathroom and working out for thirty minutes. I know for a fact I don't drink enough water so it could just be fluctuating. Thank you for all the advice though!! ☺️
  • Mrj183
    Mrj183 Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    scales are useless. They measure yiur fat, muscle, bones, water and food. This will fluctuate all day. If youre gonna weigh yourself do so once a month at the same time like right whEdn u wake up. Use a measuring tape. Use the mirror or get a bio scan. Scales will either motivate you or motihate you. Dont rely too much on it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    An 11lb weight increase in a single day amounting to almost 7% of your body weight?

With no sodium, carb re-feed, change in exercise, change in elimination pattern, or hormonal explanation out of the blue and with no indication that the scale may be off (bad battery/ uneven or non flat location)?

Have you had such large variations before? I mean if you regularly have 8lb variations 11lbs doesn't sound as extreme as it would if you never have more than 3-5lb variations.

I would definitely consider a doctor's visit...
  • merunkamac
    merunkamac Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I look like I lost 50 lbs, but at this point, the number on the scale doesn't matter. I am stronger, faster, happier, and my clothes aren't fitting anymore!

I can fluctuate 10lbs or so in a day too (I'm 6'1" 230# male) but I've never thought I should seek medical attention for that...
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar problem. Fluctuations of 3-6 pounds. Nothing like 10 pounds, but still, a lot of factors play into that. It's hard not to get disappointed, but a lot of factors play into it: what you ate before, bowel movements, water weight, women's menstrual cycles, workouts, etc. My problem is not getting discouraged even though I know all those reasons.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    You don't drink too little water unless your pee is a very dark color.

Check measurements and how clothes fit.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You put on 11lbs of muscle in one day? Wow lol
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I sometimes judge how my clothes fit, but what I think I look like in the mirror is completely misleading. I can go on vacation or otherwise be away from my scale for a period of time and then be a little hesitant to get back on and learn my weight. I will stand in front of the mirror and convince myself that maybe I've even lost weight. Then I step on and boom. . . surprise couple of pounds.