Losing the Weight Vol. 2 - The Baby Weight Struggle

Options
Three years ago I decided I was tired of feeling so uncomfortable in my body. I logged onto this site, looked up a C25k program, and seven months later I had lost almost 70 pounds and run a 5k, 8k, and a half marathon. At my smallest I was around 145 when in full swing training. When not my weight was around 155 and I was happy and comfortable with that. I felt healthy and in shape. Below is my first before and after:

5z2wph.jpg

Then, in March of last year shortly after running my second half, I found out I was pregnant. While he was definitely a surprise I was so ecstatic about it. I stayed active throughout most of my pregnancy and was so glad I was in such good shape when I got pregnant and was putting on weight safely and healthily.

1fkdtv.jpg

When I was seven months pregnant I developed an extensive blood clot in my left leg. Thanks to the weight of my son and an unknown clotting disorder a clot formed down the entire length of my left leg and it took almost 5 days before the doctors knew what was happening and I landed in the hospital. It was extremely painful and I could barely walk (just getting up and going to the bathroom left me in tears). With blood thinners and other changes, I slowly got better. But it sure knocked me down for a bit. I went from a normal, easy going pregnancy to a high risk one and was at the doctor multiple times a week. And that's when the weight started to come. I could no longer be nearly as active and let's just say my parents (who came and stayed with me to help take care of me) fed me very well during those last two months and for several weeks after my son was born. Thankfully his delivery was routine and we both made it through with flying colors. Here is my most recent picture, of course with my beautiful baby boy.

mtrqcm.jpg

I now weigh more than I did before I lost weight the first time. While I don't feel I look as big, I certainly feel like I do. I'm still wearing maternity clothes and I just feel so uncomfortable. And while the complications from the blood clot didn't help, my food choices since then certainly haven't helped. And while I can't run like I used to, I know I can get back to that place wear I felt healthy and happy in my skin.

Thankfully I've had very faithful friends up here who have stayed with me despite absences and continue to be supportive. It's just that much harder this time around to lose weight as I can't just throw on my shoes and run and eating is often whatever I can grab. So just looking for a little support and motivation to get back on track!

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I had two babies back to back, and was on a feeding tube, bedrest from conception to delivery with both. So, I was in bed for two years pretty much! My youngest is now one and I'm back to my old self. Admittedly I had to gain to get to prepregnancy weight, but my stamina and strength were GONE. You can do it!
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    "And while I can't run like I used to, I know I can get back to that place wear I felt healthy and happy in my skin."

You bet you can. You have done it once. Except, maybe you will not be able to rely as much as you did on exercising. But remember: there are plenty of thin people who never exercise!

Also, may I give you an advice? A friendly one (I swear)? Stop talking about "baby weight", or "mommy's weight", etc., unless you are talking of the first 20 lbs or so you gained when you were pregnant. The rest have nothing, nothing, nothing to do with the adorable angel I see on your last picture. I would say the same thing to those who talk about the "weight they gained because they lost their job, or because of their divorce, or because of stress, or....". We gain weight because we eat too much/not well. Period.

Don't include your baby in the equation when it comes to weight loss, unless it is to think that he gives you yet another reason to take care of yourself and live a long and healthy life !

So good luck, try to enjoy the journey, and take care.