Stress eating

Options
Curious are any of you stress eaters? Or am I the only one. Lol.

Replies

• charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one :) the general advice seems to be to divert yourself to something else but I find it hard to do. The something else being going for a walk or whatever.
  • robinswanagan
    robinswanagan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Guess it depends on how severe the situation is. Glad to know im not alone. Thank you
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lot's do it and the key was mentioned above. Get moving when it hits.
  • ttidwell81
    ttidwell81 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm so a stress eater especially at work.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I take it easy, baby. I'm chill like that, eat cause it tastes good. I'll admit sometimes eating too much causes me stress the next day.
  • onthemesa
    onthemesa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes I am and yes it does happen. I have had to come to terms with a couple things in relation to this:

1. Sometimes the stress of holding out is not worth the holding out, i.e. the craving is so powerful it invades every thought process throughout my day. I just give in and get it over with.
    2. Forgive myself and remember that on average I am losing weight.

If possible I try to keep it from snowballing into days of bad eating, as can happen. Also if I'm in a good / highly motivated mood in the following days, I try and come in a little under my limit each day.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    This my default but I have made progress that I am proud of. I still do have lapses but they are far less frequent.

At the moment, I'm having a tough time at work where I have been bullied for the last 2.5 months. I'm considering moving to the other side of the world. A loved one is ill.

Normally this would put me on a track of shoving junk into my mouth daily. Yet, for the most part, practicing mindfulness is doing wonders for me. I stop and say "What am I feeling? Ok, let's just take a minute to feel this and then move on instead of buying that bag of chips". It doesn't have 100% success rate but it is better than before!
  • srujana_kanneganti
    srujana_kanneganti Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I try to pop in some gum or make tea. Sipping hot tea really helps me.
  • BeLisaMarie
    BeLisaMarie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »
    This my default but I have made progress that I am proud of. I still do have lapses but they are far less frequent.

At the moment, I'm having a tough time at work where I have been bullied for the last 2.5 months. I'm considering moving to the other side of the world. A loved one is ill.

Normally this would put me on a track of shoving junk into my mouth daily. Yet, for the most part, practicing mindfulness is doing wonders for me. I stop and say "What am I feeling? Ok, let's just take a minute to feel this and then move on instead of buying that bag of chips". It doesn't have 100% success rate but it is better than before!

Love this!
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    YES!

I do stress eating and anxiety eating.

It's alot more under control now, but my last anxiety eating attack was during a time I had a dispute with a person working in my energy provider company and long story short he maliciously hacked into my energy account and caused the power in my household to go out. I had a very important work project I needed to prepare for first thing the next morning and needed my PC, access to cloud storage, etc. While I knew I could just go to my local library to access the internet and do my work from there, there was a bigger problem.

The worse of it being that weekend was next since it was friday the next day so if it wasn't resolved I'd have no power for the entire weekend as they don't do activations on weekends.

Even worse - my husband was overseas at the time and i'm not proud to say this but I'm absolutely useless without his wisdom and his guidance.

I came back early from work to sort it out and had already had a healthy lunch prior which I couldn't finish and had left half of it for the next day.

I went straight to the fridge, pulled out 2-3 tubs of dips, cut myself a massive few slices of sourdough bread, honey, cream cheese, olives and antipasti, opened up what was left of my healthy lunch - and proceeded to mindlessly bulldoze into these to soothe my frazzled nerves.

Completely destroyed my day. I felt somewhat guilty, but honestly at that point, it really did help. But it's not a good way to go about dealing with stress and anxiety. It was a really raw moment as normally I know and am consciously in control of what I'm doing when I choose to eat whether due to stress or what not.

But this was so raw and automated. I was rather taken aback by it.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Livgetfit wrote: »

I've been doing this too recently. :smile:
    Mindful eating has really been a great boon to me coping with these things.
  • robinswanagan
    Options
    onthemesa wrote: »
    Yes I am and yes it does happen. I have had to come to terms with a couple things in relation to this:

1. Sometimes the stress of holding out is not worth the holding out, i.e. the craving is so powerful it invades every thought process throughout my day. I just give in and get it over with.
    2. Forgive myself and remember that on average I am losing weight.

If possible I try to keep it from snowballing into days of bad eating, as can happen. Also if I'm in a good / highly motivated mood in the following days, I try and come in a little under my limit each day.

Thanks for sharing it helps me alot something to think about
  • robinswanagan
    Options
    I try to pop in some gum or make tea. Sipping hot tea really helps me.

Thanks good idea
  • robinswanagan
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »
    YES!

I do stress eating and anxiety eating.

It's alot more under control now, but my last anxiety eating attack was during a time I had a dispute with a person working in my energy provider company and long story short he maliciously hacked into my energy account and caused the power in my household to go out. I had a very important work project I needed to prepare for first thing the next morning and needed my PC, access to cloud storage, etc. While I knew I could just go to my local library to access the internet and do my work from there, there was a bigger problem.

The worse of it being that weekend was next since it was friday the next day so if it wasn't resolved I'd have no power for the entire weekend as they don't do activations on weekends.

Even worse - my husband was overseas at the time and i'm not proud to say this but I'm absolutely useless without his wisdom and his guidance.

I came back early from work to sort it out and had already had a healthy lunch prior which I couldn't finish and had left half of it for the next day.

I went straight to the fridge, pulled out 2-3 tubs of dips, cut myself a massive few slices of sourdough bread, honey, cream cheese, olives and antipasti, opened up what was left of my healthy lunch - and proceeded to mindlessly bulldoze into these to soothe my frazzled nerves.

Completely destroyed my day. I felt somewhat guilty, but honestly at that point, it really did help. But it's not a good way to go about dealing with stress and anxiety. It was a really raw moment as normally I know and am consciously in control of what I'm doing when I choose to eat whether due to stress or what not.

But this was so raw and automated. I was rather taken aback by it.

Hang in there . Girl.. send me a friend request im here if you wanna vent.. .. thanks for sharing... meant alot
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Could have done it just now at work, actually. Got ripped into at work, left my perfectly healthy meal that I brought for lunch in the fridge at work and when to get an extra large bowl of pho with a co-worker. On the drive there, and calmed down, and ended up ordering a sensible lunch (an order of spring rolls and meatball soup with pho broth). Now, I know the sodium from the soup will cause some bloat, but the calories stayed reasonable so I wouldn't have to ditch dinner tonight. I kept my eye on the prize and didn't falter. It was a win for me :)
  • robinswanagan
    Options
    Could have done it just now at work, actually. Got ripped into at work, left my perfectly healthy meal that I brought for lunch in the fridge at work and when to get an extra large bowl of pho with a co-worker. On the drive there, and calmed down, and ended up ordering a sensible lunch (an order of spring rolls and meatball soup with pho broth). Now, I know the sodium from the soup will cause some bloat, but the calories stayed reasonable so I wouldn't have to ditch dinner tonight. I kept my eye on the prize and didn't falter. It was a win for me :)

Im new at this but getting the hang of it for the most part.im learning to look at each day as a clean slate. THANKS FOR SHARING.
  • JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm a stress eater too. It sucks. When it strikes, I keep reminding myself that stuffing my face with food will only cause me even more stress later on. I drink water, take a walk around the office (because I'm usually at work when the stress hits), make a tea.
  • matuskap
    matuskap Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I personally stress drink green tea (just sacks so its weaker, not the original brewed leafs). Fills me up a little before the next meal. If the hunger is greater and distracts me from work i just get one coffee with milk. That gives me about an hour of peace time :).