21 day fix AFTER Lo Carb

Options
I'm currently doing LC --- have been on maintenance for 5 years .. thinking of switching to 21 day fix program - concerned about adding the carbs back in .... anyone done this or have info on it?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Specifically what is making you concerned about adding carbs back into your diet? Medical reasons?

If not, don't instantly add them back in. Increase your carbohydrate intake slowly over a matter of weeks. I'd say adding 25-30g of carbs per week would be fine (otherwise your glycogen and water weight shoot up).
  • faithgirlfl
    faithgirlfl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    the weight gain is my concern ...
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Yeah. Gradually increase your carbohydrate intake by 25-30g per week.
  • faithgirlfl
    Options
    thx
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have only done slightly low carb (100g) so I can't be too helpful with transitioning to the 21 day fix. I can tell you that the the fix is low glycemic eating and doesn't allow for a ton of carbs (outside of veggies). I'm in the lowest calorie bracket (1200-1599) so I'm only allowed a cup of grains and pasta, or however many slices of bread that means. I typically didn't eat all my yellow (carb) containers because I just preferred to eat less of that stuff. Not sure that helps you at all!

Disclaimer - I'm not a coach, don't particularly care for beach body's pyramid scheme, and did this in order to get my friend to stop talking at me about it (now she just talks about shakeology - eye roll). I have PCOS and like low glycemic eating, but am switching to a lower carb WOE. The workouts are pretty intense though and I like the strength training ones the best!
  • Uneeknitter
    Uneeknitter Posts: 134 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Depends on the carbs. Also, if you are working out harder, you will need more carbs to help fuel your workouts. I try to keep my carbs at 30% of my total calorie intake. But on days when I workout harder I eat more simple carbs such as rice and potatoes, as recommended by my personal trainer and nutritionist several years ago. She always said not to worry about vegetable carbs and that the fruit ones typically are ok too. At one point she put me on a carb deficit, only 80 grams a day, to change up my routine. That was "fun."
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Just how many carbs are you planning on eating?

• faithgirlfl
    Options
    I currently eat 40-50 carbs a day -- I'm just not sure what the "allowance" would be like on the 21 day fix!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Then I don't understand the question - how is 40g of carbs going to cause you to gain weight?
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I currently eat 40-50 carbs a day -- I'm just not sure what the "allowance" would be like on the 21 day fix!

As far as I know from reading the book there is no set amount of carbs that you are told to eat each day. It's all a matter of how much you can fit into the Carb container and how many containers you are allowed to eat each day.
  • faithgirlfl
    Options
    got it .. thanks Eileen_S

Mr_Knight -- I would be adding carbs back into my diet ..
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with doing the 21 day fix. It's just a really expensive portion control system. Why not just get a food scale and start using MFP to set a calorie limit. If you don't like the whole "eat back the exercise calories" then you can switch to the TDEE method. If you want to transition off of LC or add in more carbs for personal choice, just realize you might gain a few lbs of water weight from the additional glycogen stored.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with doing the 21 day fix. It's just a really expensive portion control system. Why not just get a food scale and start using MFP to set a calorie limit. If you don't like the whole "eat back the exercise calories" then you can switch to the TDEE method. If you want to transition off of LC or add in more carbs for personal choice, just realize you might gain a few lbs of water weight from the additional glycogen stored.

^This.
  • faithgirlfl
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

^ interesting - that's kinda been the thought in the back of my head! HA