Need advice about metabolism and quitting smoking

Options
Hi all, hoping some people can help me as I'm getting very frustrated and really want to lose weight (and need to! ) but can't! (seemingly)

I stopped smoking 6 weeks ago using nrt,had a couple of weeks eating normally and have began logging again. I eat around 1500-1700 calories a day, mostly healthy, and aim to do 10000 steps a day using my fitbit, don't always reach it but around 5 days out of 7 I do.

I'm female, 5 foot 2 and 250+ pounds. Previously when logging and at this exercise level I've steadily lost weight, however this time it's just not moving! My weight has barely changed since I stopped smoking and it's very annoying. I've read online that stopping smoking can slow your metabolism, now I'm wondering if this is what the problem is?

If so, what can I do to get it going again? Was thinking about starting stronglifts 5x5, I've started trying to always hit my steps, my diet is pretty damn good. Not sure what else! Any help or above is hugely appreciated, I have a long way to go, am feeling great since quitting smoking so it's infuriating me that I'm not losing! (Apologies for the book!)

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    youre eating more than you think you are
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    youre eating more than you think you are

This...weigh and measure your food accurately before you cook/eat it. Log everything that goes into your mouth, etc. Be accurate or you'll just be frustrated.
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I weigh mostly everything, I say mostly as in the spirit of being honest, occasionally I don't. But 95% I weigh, or have weighed so know a portion, but I'll make sure I weigh everything. Does both of your answers indicate that this isn't a problem? A lot of people (according to the Internet of course) have had this, part of the reason people usually gain weight when then stop maybe? I'm lucky I've not put any on of course, it's just frustrating to be working hard and nada, barely a pound in weeks. Anyone else have advice for speeding up a slow metabolism or is this just nonsense?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Your hunger is greater without smoking, so you're unconsciously serving yourself just a biiiiit more. :) Smoking's effect is 95%+ just plain hunger suppression.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    nicotine has a slight influence on metabolism (marginally up) and on appetite (marginally suppresses it). i've read that smoking (i think a full pack) burns 200 cals in addition to your tdee. so maybe factor that in
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Your hunger is greater without smoking, so you're unconsciously serving yourself just a biiiiit more. :) Smoking's effect is 95%+ just plain hunger suppression.

+1 to this. Plus the boredom and reaching for more snacks-and it's super easy to overestimate a portion. Try weighing absolutely everything and see if it helps.

When I quit smoking, I had all this energy for a few days-but then I got super tired! Perhaps you're simply not expending as much energy in your daily activities. Make it a point to get up and move more. And starting a 5x5 program is a fabulous idea. Quitting smoking is what moved me to run and eventually lift! You'll love it
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    i've read that smoking (i think a full pack) burns 200 cals in addition to your tdee.

If you're Keith Richards smoking on stage while playing guitar and then having sex with 18 year old groupies after the show....maybe.

Everybody else? Nah....
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    i've read that smoking (i think a full pack) burns 200 cals in addition to your tdee.

If you're Keith Richards smoking on stage while playing guitar and then having sex with 18 year old groupies after the show....maybe.

Everybody else? Nah....

"Nicotine reduces body weight by raising the resting metabolic rate while blunting the expected increase in food intake in response to the increase in metabolic rate. Like many antiobesity drugs, nicotine is a sympathomimetic agent. Sympathomimetic drugs increase energy expenditure via action on peripheral tissue and through regulation of metabolism in the brain. Nicotine promotes the local release of norepinephrine within body tissues and systemic release of epinephrine from the adrenal glands. Nicotine increases thermogenesis in adipose tissue, partly by increasing lipolysis and subsequent recycling of fatty acids into triglycerides.16,17 Smoking increases 24-h energy expenditure by ~10%18 and increases energy expenditure more during exercise and after eating than while at rest.19 A 10% increase in metabolic rate, corresponding to an expenditure of 200 kcal per 24 h, seems small; however, assuming that there is no change in caloric intake, this increase in energy expenditure caused by nicotine can result in the loss of 10 kg in body weight over 1 year."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195407/
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking, then lost 83 pounds.

My recommendation is to tighten up your logging. I peeked at your diary, and it looks like you're using lots of cups, where weights would be more accurate. Weigh all solids, measure all liquids.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There are *many* studies that dispute that.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    There are *many* studies that dispute that.

Ok. I don't want to get into a citation battle though if that's cool :) It's more or less the consensus, as I understand it. Whether you like that bit of consensus or not, or have another explanation you prefer, typical result is quitters tend to gain 5-10 lbs on quitting. It's not inevitable, though, obviously. Just has to be accounted for one way or another when planning to lose.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Weight gain is not the same claim as decreased RMR.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    No, it's not. I said the net result of whatever happens, however you want to look at it, is usually a gain. If OP wants to lose and is stalling, the answer (whatever the cause) is to reduce intake and/or increase burn.

But I don't know why the idea that nicotine could affect metabolism is so controversial....
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    i got fat smoking. quit a year ago. have lost 50+ pounds since january. if you want to do something, you do it. gained minimal weight after i quit.

just sayin'..... LOL
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Just up your exercise or decrease your intake... Or both. That's really the best way to go about it. [I do 1200/day]
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

Everybody else? Nah....

"Nicotine reduces body weight by raising the resting metabolic rate while blunting the expected increase in food intake in response to the increase in metabolic rate. Like many antiobesity drugs, nicotine is a sympathomimetic agent. Sympathomimetic drugs increase energy expenditure via action on peripheral tissue and through regulation of metabolism in the brain. Nicotine promotes the local release of norepinephrine within body tissues and systemic release of epinephrine from the adrenal glands. Nicotine increases thermogenesis in adipose tissue, partly by increasing lipolysis and subsequent recycling of fatty acids into triglycerides.16,17 Smoking increases 24-h energy expenditure by ~10%18 and increases energy expenditure more during exercise and after eating than while at rest.19 A 10% increase in metabolic rate, corresponding to an expenditure of 200 kcal per 24 h, seems small; however, assuming that there is no change in caloric intake, this increase in energy expenditure caused by nicotine can result in the loss of 10 kg in body weight over 1 year."

Nicotine is not the only chemical in cigarettes. Not by a long shot.

Vaping (e-cig), and other forms of nicotine replacement do not impair wound healing like cigarettes. At a biochemical level, cigarettes are profoundly different from straight nicotine, so I'm not inclined to attribute 100% of the impact on weight to nicotine alone.

People who smoke for 20 years don't lose 10kg per year, as the author above suggests or implies.

OP, congrats on quitting smoking. Losing weight should be a piece of cake by comparison.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options

Everybody else? Nah....

Who said it was? And have there been controlled studies comparing wound healing in vapers and smokers? I'm not saying it's just nicotine, I'm not an authority of any kind on smoking or nicotine, but although it's not perfectly well understood, people who are authorities seem to feel it matters, across human and animal studies.

Everything I've read about vaping suggests it's almost certainly safer than smoking cigarettes, though, agree on that.

Everybody else? Nah....

People who smoke for 20 years don't lose 10kg per year, as the author above suggests or implies.

Yeah, that doesn't usually happen, and I agree it was a weird thing to include. They said, "assuming there is no change in caloric intake" and "can result". Practically speaking, what most likely happens is there is a change in caloric intake, given bodies' general inclination towards homeostasis / energy balance. I.e. they can get away with eating more than they otherwise would have. If they continue to consume the same amount after quitting, they're going to see a gain (and they often do). Ergo they should eat less.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Everybody else? Nah....

Who said it was? And have there been controlled studies comparing wound healing in vapers and smokers? I'm not saying it's just nicotine, I'm not an authority of any kind on smoking or nicotine, but although it's not perfectly well understood, people who are authorities seem to feel it matters, across human and animal studies.

Everything I've read about vaping suggests it's almost certainly safer than smoking cigarettes, though, agree on that.

Everybody else? Nah....

Yeah, that doesn't usually happen, and I agree it was a weird thing to include. They said, "assuming there is no change in caloric intake" and "can result". Practically speaking, what most likely happens is there is a change in caloric intake, given bodies' general inclination towards homeostasis / energy balance. I.e. they can get away with eating more than they otherwise would have. If they continue to consume the same amount after quitting, they're going to see a gain (and they often do). Ergo they should eat less.

I have searched for nicotine replacement vs cigarette in studies for years and I think I came up with one that's over 2 decades old, and very little in humans. The problem is compliance. I don't foresee anyone doing that study in the future, either. The most practical way to test to see if someone is using cigarettes is via a urine cotinine test, which is very sensitive and will show if someone's had nicotine exposure over the six weeks prior. But it can't distinguish between nicotine from cigarette smoke and vaping.

My point was nicotine, when isolated, has less of a biochemical impact. So much so that I am willing to completely disregard any theoretical chance in metabolism that is attributed to nicotine. I think it's a red herring altogether.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart_zps3s3xqead.jpg
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options

Everybody else? Nah....

Everybody else? Nah....

I have searched for nicotine replacement vs cigarette in studies for years and I think I came up with one that's over 2 decades old, and very little in humans. The problem is compliance. I don't foresee anyone doing that study in the future, either. The most practical way to test to see if someone is using cigarettes is via a urine cotinine test, which is very sensitive and will show if someone's had nicotine exposure over the six weeks prior. But it can't distinguish between nicotine from cigarette smoke and vaping.

My point was nicotine, when isolated, has less of a biochemical impact. So much so that I am willing to completely disregard any theoretical chance in metabolism that is attributed to nicotine. I think it's a red herring altogether.

Sorry - you searched for studies comparing the influence of nicotine replacement vs cigarette on what, weight gain, or some particular metabolic process?

Compliance, yeah, it's a concern. But if participants are recruited from smokers who are motivated to quit (i.e. outpatients who have voluntarily signed up for a smoking cessation program in a clinical setting, with a wait list control group), I think they're not as likely to lie as smokers whose doctors ask them how they're doing when they're not actually ready to quit. Slipping is something most motivated quitters feel pretty anxious about and actually want to address ("How do I handle slip ups? Have I screwed this up?"). Some might fib, I think more would just drop out, but I think even more would want to talk about it in their group therapy or whatever, so they could learn to deal with it, because they'd be motivated to quit.

I think the issue is separating out the influence of the various chemicals in cigarettes and their effects in humans. But I mean, the influence of nicotine, specifically, on weight (through various metabolic processes), seems to have been pretty well established in animal studies.

Anyway, I just found this study, which seems to provide some support for what you're saying (different design than what you have in mind, though)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3749100/