Are some people naturally bad at pushups?

Options
mgreen10
mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
I think I am one of those people...I could never do even one pushup. I mean the real kind...I can do the one where I am on my knees. I am a girl and I guess I've never been very athletic. But, I don't get why I'm not able to do them. Are there others out there like me?

Replies

• twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    You're ahead of me - I'm still doing the wall ones!!! I think this is more about upper body strength...
  • erinnicolette
    Options
    I can do a few "regular" push ups, but it hurts like hell, and I don't care to do them unless I was pushed to do so- I can find better arm exercises and weight lifting. I'm more of a cardio exerciser though.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I USED to be able to do pushups.

Apparently I've lost a lot of upper arm strength, because I had to go back to 'knee' push ups when I started this programs... Hopefully eventually I can get back to the real thing!
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes. It would seem as though I have absolutely NO upper body strength because I truly suck at them! I can pick up my 32 pound son with no problem. I can bring in a ton of grocery bags at once, but I can't lift my upper body up off the ground. You are not alone :smile:
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    Could NEVER do 'em.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Try doing a plank for 30 seconds. Then the next day again, and again. Try to increase to 1 min. After a week of planks, try a push up. Not only is upper body strength needed for pushups, but left/right balance and core stability is required too! Pushups are a fabulous exercise! Everyone can do it, but yeah, some folks need a bit more time practicing for it:)
  • NurdCore
    NurdCore Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I manage to crank out two properly formed push ups, but it takes almost all the energy I can muster to do it.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can't do real ones either. I've gotten better at doing the knee ones, but still not great. I like to think it's because I am rather well endowed and the extra weight up top makes it difficult!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    There's an online program that helps you work up to the real pushups. It's a progressive program where you slowly add disipline until you are doing 100 real pushups....it's kinda like C25K for girlie wimpy upper boby chicas like us. It's a good challenge for a group to take on here - I started once......upon a time....here's the link:

http://www.hundredpushups.com/
  • ursula0601k
    ursula0601k Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I work out regularly and while I improve in other areas I can't do a proper "real" push up. I can do the ones on my knees but even that is a struggle after 10. So, u r not alone and we may just be naturally bad at it.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    P90X will solve that...you build up to it...it's reps...no one is pre-disposed to not being able to do them (unless you have no arms or are paraplegic). I have seen amazing results of folks that cannot do pushups crank out 20 or more easily after doing P90X. I am a guy and could barely do three when I started and can now crank them out (just finished my first round).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    This is just an indication of your lack of upper body strength. First make sure you are doing them correctly. The following video will give you probably the best training on proper form that I have found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwRLWMcOdwI

Next, realize you will have to work up to it. The wall is probably the lowest difficulty way to do it, but I would suggest placing your hands a step or two up the stairs instead, as the height your hands will be up the wall will probably not do enough to build your chest and triceps. So try them at 3 or 2 or 1 step up the stairs using the regular form, not from the knees.

I would suggest to build up the number you can do try ladders. You can find them described on this page:

http://www.marklauren.com/20-minute-workouts-details.html#ladders

Even if your ladder is repeatedly doing only one repetition then resting then doing one then resting and so on, you will still find an increase in your strength.

As I said, the problem is lack of upper body strength, in particular in your chest and triceps. Both are areas that when strengthened will really help you look better, so don't get up on push-ups.
  • Noonoo757
    Noonoo757 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My Core used to be so weak and I couldn't do not one now I do 20 at a time just joined a challenge on here to increase that number so keep at it Girly.
  • jataijah
    jataijah Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    P90X will solve that...you build up to it...it's reps...no one is pre-disposed to not being able to do them (unless you have no arms or are paraplegic). I have seen amazing results of folks that cannot do pushups crank out 20 or more easily after doing P90X. I am a guy and could barely do three when I started and can now crank them out (just finished my first round).

So true Bob. When I started P90X I couldn't do one push up. But each week I got stronger and stronger . Its still hard but I do 20 with no problem now! Just keep do a little at a time it will get easier. :)
  • sunflowermom2
    Options
    I suck at them I have never in my life been able to do but 1 at a time. So you are not alone.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I am horrid at pull ups...I try to lift from my shoulders not by bending my arms...try doing them from your knees first then move up
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I could kick a Caddy over because my legs are so strong.... But getting in a plank....and push my body up and down repeatly.... Naaaaa.... But I started Insanity a week ago..... And I can actually do about 10 "girl" push ups.... No it's not alot but it's about progress....and it's definately more than I used to do...
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    I'm naturally horrible at them. i can give you a good 1/2 lol.
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I could not do push ups, but is getting better everyday. I do my push ups with my feet on the couch or chair to keep the.correct form :tongue: