College Student Struggles

Hi.

I've been here for a while. But I'm also pretty new here! This will be my first post and possibly my last. I have so many questions at the moment.

I weight 249 lbs. And I want to lose weight by July of next year...I want to be at least near 190 somewhere there. When I get around that area I want to tone up a bit, not to where I look like a man tho, lol. This is all basically for my cosplay dreams and I want to start ASAP.

Unfortunately, I'm in the very sad category on money...poor college student, so (I can't do a lot of stuff...thats why I can't really do anything...)Like shopping at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. So if someone can guide me to where I need to be and how I can handle it on such a tight budget I would love it. If you're curious about the rest of my questions...I think I can send a message or something? Whats a good start off plan?

Thanks again!

Replies

• andreamulhall
    andreamulhall Posts: 81 Member
    Try stick to your calorie goals , even if your food isn't the best if you stick to your Cals you can lose weight . You will need a food scale , other than that your good to go .
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Your goal is completely doable. You don't have to buy special food or only organic in order to lose weight, or spend money on a gym membership. It all comes down to calories in being less than the calories you burn (CI/CO). There is a good website called budgetbytes.com that has affordable recipe ideas. Weigh and log all your food, stay at a calorie deficit, walk, do free exercise videos from YouTube if you want to work out. Weight loss is made in the kitchen, while working out will help you retain more lean muscle and you will be smoking hot in your cosplay outfits this time next year :) good luck
  • mezzoacro
    mezzoacro Posts: 3 Member
    Im in the same boat! Woo grad school. I try my best to stick to whole grains and low fat items. I also cut out snack foods in favor for yogurt and snakable veggies (like baby carrots) and fruits.

If you have a kitchen make as much food as you can by yourself! Also if youre a drinker, try to eliminate booze. I say try, because i myself need to enjoy some wine at least once a week.

Good luck!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    I agre with andrea you can easily lose 60 pounds in a year. That's totally reasonable. Get a good plan, fine tune as you go along but stick to yoru program. Eat three meals a day, four if you get hungry. Ditch the junk for your daily life.

Eat as healthy as you can. Get your carbs down to around 120 but no more than 150.
    Get your protein up.
    Let the fats fall anywhere in between. Fat doesn't make you fat. Overeating makes you fat.

You don't need gym memberships. Take up walking. Just walk about in your life as much as possible. Walk faster. When you are slimmer you can run if you want. Do your housework vigorously. Go out dancing from time to time or do it at home. Whatever, there's lots of way to exercise without spending moeny if you put your mind to it.

Learn about nutrition from reliable sources. and if you have time, read from a wide variety of sources and don't fall for things that are hyped. Eat uncontroversial food and uncontroversial style. eg olive oil is not controversial. coconut oil is.

Keep a food diary separate from here on a spread sheet so that you can go back over it easily and see where you might be able to improve etc. When i keep a food diary, i don't even need to count calories.

Weigh yourself often but don't stress about what the scale says. It will fluctuate a lot all the time. YOu want a steady downward trend. If its not going down, your food diary should be the place to give you clues.

Don't cut your calories too severely. Don't allow yourself to go hungry. Put your meals close together (3-4-5) hours apart)and then if you can avoid eating after dinner you will lose overnight. Don't drink too much alcohol because you lose judgement when you get drunk.

How much money have you got?

Cheap nutritious food is all the legumes lentils, chickpeas. They take more effort to prepare but they are economical on many fronts and can be really really delicious. Learn how to make hummus, lentil burgers, bean salads, red lentil soup indian dal. If you follow my blog, you can read my food diary and I put up recipes sometimes. Yesterday I made a lentil and beetroot soup which was so delicious. It will give me four serves of 1 cup each.

You absolutely don't need to eat organic but you do need to eat vegetables and fruit. You need to eat 2-3 cups of vegetables every day - from 5 different types and 2-3 pieces of fruit. Buy whatever is in season and buy frozen things like peas.

Don't waste your money on white bread. You might as well throw your money in the toilet. White spaghetti on the other hand is high in protein so its not bad at all. Don't buy packet cereals - eat oats. Processed foods cost more than whole foods. You will get much more bang for your buck if you eat whole food.

If you are buying meat, buy the cheaper stewing meats. Don't buy sausages.

if you have more questions you can message me. You can befriend me if you find what i'm saying might be helpful.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    People lose weight by reducing what they eat. What you choose to reduce is up to you.
    Inexpensive foods include eggs, rice, oatmeal, beans, raisins, lentils, peanut butter, cabbage, apples, onions. Fruits and vegetables can be purchased canned or frozen. Also check in the dollar stores because some of them have groceries.