Exercise for people with Plantar Faciaitis.

Options
ember34
ember34 Posts: 19 Member
Does anyone have plantar Faciaitis? If so what exercises can you do? Walking kills my foot!

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Swim. Pool running. Aquaerobics/aquacize. Maybe cycling? Stationary bike or recumbent bike (try both; one might be better than another). Yoga. Strengthening and stretching exercises to help the PF.
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    To help stretch the foot and ease the pain freeze a bottle of water then roll your foot over it with a sock on. Be careful not to damage the skin with the ice, especially if you have any neuropathy/diabetes etc.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yoga and proper foot wear.

I was suffering with horrible foot pain for months. I bought orthopedic insoles for my sneakers, and a few pairs of orthaheel dress shoes for work. I made sure I did at least 5-10 sun salutations every other day. Within a couple weeks, my foot was nearly good as new.

Also key for me is to never walk around barefoot. I even put on my orthopedic slippers to use the bathroom at night.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    ember34 wrote: »
    Does anyone have plantar Faciaitis?

I used to. Slip in a good insole, like Superfeet or Powerstep, and then go walking or whatever. Only wear the insoles when your arches actually hurt, otherwise the arch will become less flexible, which in turn causes plantar fasciitis. Stretch your arch hourly to build more flexibility into it. :+1:
  • lmlilly
    lmlilly Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you do cycle be sure to pedal from the ball of your foot, rather than the arch. Pedaling from the arch strains the plantar.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Towel toe crunch's ( Goggle it )
  • cragslthorpe
    cragslthorpe Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Swiming but wear a clean pair of shoes with an insole right until u get in the water! Complete rest (6wks off ur feet) and proper insoles purposely designed for ur feet can largly help reduce pain herunssheruns the fitness store have a machone that measures ur feet and designs insoles specifically for ur feet thwy arent cheap but really work!!! Lx
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Stretching and insoles really helped me, too.
  • dfavela1988
    dfavela1988 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I have this as well. A nice little too that I was given by my MD is while your sitting on the couch or laying down, try to make it legs straight to the point that you feel the stretch then try to point your your big toe towards you. While short term it doesn't seem to help to much, but when you stand up it will relive some pressure on the feet.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I used to. Slip in a good insole, like Superfeet or Powerstep, and then go walking or whatever. Only wear the insoles when your arches actually hurt, otherwise the arch will become less flexible, which in turn causes plantar fasciitis. Stretch your arch hourly to build more flexibility into it. :+1:

this. i had PF, and never thought i'd be able to run or bike or anything. stretch hourly, sleep with that boot thing that keeps your foot pulled back. get some good insoles, and proper footwear. i went minimalist shoes for a while, zero lift heels. they helped, but now i rock 4-6mm heels and they work the best for me.

haven't had a flare up in a long time.
  • JellybeanJeanette
    JellybeanJeanette Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's awful, isn't it?! I'm so sad to see my husband go out for long walks without me.....

I've been swimming now that the local pool is open. In the winter I used the stationary bike. (yes, even under a doctor's care, I've been dealing with this for months! Things are improving-but not pain free yet.)

I've read the other recommendations that folks have shared, and I'll share one more thing. For me, sleeping with a Strasburg sock works better than the boot thing at night.

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

this. i had PF, and never thought i'd be able to run or bike or anything. stretch hourly, sleep with that boot thing that keeps your foot pulled back. get some good insoles, and proper footwear. i went minimalist shoes for a while, zero lift heels. they helped, but now i rock 4-6mm heels and they work the best for me.

That helped me the most and along with rolling on an ice bottle and a golf ball got it under control in a few weeks. Although it didn't totally stop hurting for many months I was able to resume normal exercise pretty quickly. The boot thing is called a night splint and you can buy them at CVS.

• smabus51
    smabus51 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I suffered with pf for some time. I had custom insoles made that are now about worn out. My family doctor recommended Dr Scholls insoles that u use the machine to determine the correct fit. I have to say, he saved me a lot of money. They work just as well as the custom built. I also agree with wearing the boot anytime you are watching TV or lounging around but I found it hard to sleep with it on. I found a cloth ankle support with laces on it. With an extra shoe lace stretched from toe to above the ankle I was able to stretch the plantar and sleep..

Best wishes for quick recovery. .
  • Guy04
    Guy04 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I cycle with pf about 10 miles a day,being that there is no weight on my heel I can get good exercise without being in pain !
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I found this sock (for sleeping) to help with the "first step" pain in the mornings: http://www.amazon.com/Strassburg-Sock-Regular-Size-Around/dp/B00JB2UDTQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1436742613&sr=1-5

Also, the frozen water bottle suggested by a poster above whenever you have the time to sit and roll it under your injured foot helps to relieve the pain. Use it after any exercising & stretching.

The towel crunches are excellent for strengthening the muscles that control your toes and your arches.

Wishing you good luck and a speedy recovery. PF is the pits!
  • ember34
    ember34 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Just knowing there are options to help is a relief.