70lbs Down in less than a year, Been same weight for over 3 months!

Options
After losing 70lbs I've plateaued, same weight for 3 months... Wondering what I should do..

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    OP, stats?
    • Are you weighing your food with an electric scale?
    • Are you weighing your food accurately? i.e. using grams instead of cups
    • How are you obtaining your calorie burns? MFP, HRM or machines?

Open your diary, and how long have you been eating in a deficit for?
  • Trish802
    Trish802 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No, I've never weighed my food. I do group exercise, run at least 4mi 3 times a week, and the treadmill/ elliptical / stair climber here and there. high protein diet, I eat every 2-3 hours.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Trish802 wrote: »
    No, I've never weighed my food. I do group exercise, run at least 4mi 3 times a week, and the treadmill/ elliptical / stair climber here and there. high protein diet, I eat every 2-3 hours.

Well there you go then. You're eating too many calories for you to lose weight.

Doesn't matter if you are eating high protein, or whether you do a lot of exercise or how often you eat. Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit.

Buy an electric scale, and weigh your food.
  • Trish802
    Options
    Thank you
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I hit a plateau and couldn't lose to save my life, I had to starve to lose. This happened to coincide with a time where I was also sick to death of weighing food, it all came to a head and I just took a break. I didn't try to lose. I didn't think about losing or dieting or what I was eating AT ALL. I didn't even want to lose. I was, as they say, OVER IT.

I didn't go nutso and pig out, but did eat more bread. After about six months, I went back to it. Weighing, logging, counting the calories. I didn't hate it anymore and the weight has been coming off at a good chop again. :)

I'm not saying you need a break or that it would work for you! But I am now a huge fan of the break. It did me so much good. So, I toss the idea out. :)
  • Trish802
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I use a Polar Heart Rate Monitor to calculate my calories. MFP is set for for me to lose 2lbs a week. As far as eating back my workout calories, I've always been unsure about that. When I workout I eat more, wouldn't say its always 50% of my workout calories though.
  • Trish802
    Options
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

theres your problem.

you may also need to recalculate how many calories you can eat per day.
  • Trish802
    Options
    Okay, MFP usually changes that automatically as my weight changes. So I never thought to do that. Im set at 1670 now.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Start weighing it. The closer to goal you are, the more important this part is.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I agree with thoughts about weighing and accuracy. Calorie creep is very insidious after you've been on a program for a long time. For me, it's like a part of my brain just wants food so bad it just shuts down my vigilance. Weighing on a scale keeps me honest.
  • cwilso37
    cwilso37 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I will point out the reason why you might need to weigh the food. When you weighed 70 pounds more there was a large room for error. Even if you were guestimating incorrectly, odds are there was still a huge gap between eat and burn. Now 70 down, you have far less error to play with. As such weighing the food now will let you be precise in your eating which will help you have enough information to lose the weight.
  • susanlouise
    susanlouise Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's natural to plateau after a large weight loss. This happened to me too. Basically (as you can see) what was working reaches a point where it doesn't work. You have to either start being more rigorous (weighing food, fewer calories, and/or more exercise) or decide to take a break, at least for a while - meaning, maintain your existing habits to maintain. There is no shame in deciding to declare victory where you are. Ultimately, you have to be able to live with the lifestyle you have set yourself up for. Congratulations! You have lost 70 pounds!
  • Trish802
    Options
    Thank You! I've been feeling that its time to switch it up.
  • Trish802
    Options
    I will definitely start weighing my food.. Thanks everyone!