wedding dress help!

Options
I want to wear my grandmother's wedding dress for my upcoming wedding. The bust and waste fit but the arms are super tight. Like impossible to wear tight. Im only a pound or two from my goal weight of 129. If I lower my goal weight by ten pounds and combine that with arm weight exercises, will i potentially see a difference in my arm circumference? Ive always felt like my arms are huge so im not sure if its even worth trying. Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    If you start lifting, your arms might get bigger.

Visit a good tailor to see if there might be other solutions. It's hard to guess what might or might not work without being able to see the dress.

Good luck!
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to a seamstress who specilises in dress alterations. Honestly it may be that you have a larger bone structure than your grandmother did, and no amount of dieting will help if thats the case.

If you're staying at a calorie deficit you probably don't have to worry about your arms getting bigger from weight lifting. It might help you to tone, but if the arms are crazy tight, you should talk to a seamstress. You don't want to be able to just squeeze your arms into the sleeves, you want them to fit nicely so you can move.
  • half12345
    half12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Definitely trying to avoid the sausage arm look! A seamstress might have some ideas for changing the sleeves that I'm just not thinking of. I still hate my arms though!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Find a seamstress and alter the dress not your body.
    Or find a different dress. I couldn't fit my mom's wedding dress. It was disappointing but I found a dress I liked that fit.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If the bust and waist fit, but not the arms,then your body is different from that of your grandmother when she wore this dress. I would consult a reputable seamstress to examine it and suggest ways it might be altered. If you do not want the dress tampered with because it is an heirloom, find another dress that fits your figure. Those are really your only choices.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I echo the above with the seamstress consultation, and she can also tell you if she can remove the arms and/or create new sleeves for you that actually fit.
  • half12345
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My grandmother told me I could do whatever I want to the dress. "It's not like I'm going to wear it again." Love her! I like the removing the sleeves idea. I wish I knew more about sewing! I do have a backup dress that I bought the other day. It's really pretty and only cost $40 at a going out of business sale. Grandma's dress is first choice but I do have another option.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I've altered some arms on dresses before. It's doable or you can change or remove them. Talk to a seamstress near you.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    half12345 wrote: »
    I want to wear my grandmother's wedding dress for my upcoming wedding. The bust and waste fit but the arms are super tight. Like impossible to wear tight. Im only a pound or two from my goal weight of 129. If I lower my goal weight by ten pounds and combine that with arm weight exercises, will i potentially see a difference in my arm circumference? Ive always felt like my arms are huge so im not sure if its even worth trying. Any advice is appreciated.

Don't get married. That will fix the above problem and many problems to come.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

This is my preferred approach. It makes everything easier. :)

I can't even imagine coming anywhere near fitting in my mother or grandmothers' wedding dresses. That's kind of amazing.
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say I think it's so sweet that you are wearing her dress. It will make your wedding even more special! I would love to wear my grandmother's dress but I am about 8 inches taller than her so it would probably come up to my knees :p
  • half12345
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    half12345 wrote: »

Wow. Too funny! Yes, that would solve a lot of problems.