Slightly nerdy girl looking to lose 70lbs.

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm soon to be 31 years old, and I decided to want a change in my life. I'm at 254 today, and I'm hoping to lose 70lbs. Sigh... Seems like such a feat.

So if anyone needs a motivational friend, lol, or someone to talk art and harry potter with, add me!

Best of luck!

Replies

• nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge HP nerd, as well as many other sci-fi/fantasy things. There's also a group on here called "The Geek Squid" which you can join - tons of us around - and periodic HP challenges. :) Feel free to friend me, and I'm sure most of my friends list would be happy to friend you too!
  • Catintude
    Catintude Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Geek here ^.^ 21, female, currently 210 wanting to go down to 170
  • goodideabear
    goodideabear Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    nicca_jb wrote: »
    I'm a huge HP nerd, as well as many other sci-fi/fantasy things. There's also a group on here called "The Geek Squid" which you can join - tons of us around - and periodic HP challenges. :) Feel free to friend me, and I'm sure most of my friends list would be happy to friend you too!

Awesome! I'm fairly new to MFP, but I would love to make some new friends. Lol, i tried to sign up for the last Hogwarts challenge... But I was put on wait list. Still cute though :)

I'll add you for sure!
  • goodideabear
    Options
    Catintude wrote: »
    Geek here ^.^ 21, female, currently 210 wanting to go down to 170

Hi! Just tell me you like cats and we're golden :) lol... My sister calls me the crazy cat lady :3

• Mrj183
    Mrj183 Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    embrace the nerd!!! im a japanese manga fan. lost 30kg last year and have been working on strength the past 6 monrhs putting on 10kgs in the process. now its time to strip this last bit of fat get my body fat percentage to my goal. So add if u want. 40pounds is achievable! you just have to stay motivated and disciplined. But not afraid to try again when you make a mistake.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Lots of nerds and geeks here. 70 pounds is totally doable - just make a plan and stick to it - don't worry about the calendar or the numbers, focus on the day to day process, and the rest will take care of itself.

Good luck!

:drinker:
  • golgoroo
    golgoroo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've got nearly the same goal and started at nearly the same weight. Fellow nerd (geek) here! Feel free to add me. Best of luck on your journey!
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda geeky too... syfy and tolkien mostly. I started at around 285 and now maintain around 145 if you'd like to add me.
  • Mgtei
    Mgtei Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm also sci-fi nerdy (Doctor Who, Orphan Black) and have a lot to weight to lose. I've an open diary and love to give encouragement!
  • goodideabear
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the support and I'm quite thrilled with finding some other fellow nerds :) I know I just have to take it a little at time, and do my best. It great to have people to lean on and learn from :)

Thanks again!
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am a nerd also!!!

Down 81.5lbs and almost to goal :) add me! :)
  • johnnyb620
    johnnyb620 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was always the geeky asian nerd my whole life. But three years ago, I discovered the world of health and fitness. Besides anime, videogames, and science, I found another passion. And that is to push my body to its limits. I'm a lab rat working in a laboratory facility, which have been the vehicle to helping me pursue this new venture. In 3 months, I will be competing in my first men's physique competition. I have trained my body consistently for 3 years. All in all, I hope that you stick with this and keep pushing on.
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Geek here! Videogames, anime, sci-fi, fantasy, comics, cosplay - name it and I'm probably into it, and of course I work in IT :) I too am looking to lose about he same amount of weight (70 lbs) so I can be a healthier geek :) Feel free to add me!
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I started just where you are (well, maybe 1/2 pound heavier (and a few years older)...).

You can totally do this.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Idk if you want a friend further along, but when I joined three years ago I was 247 with 80lbs to lose. Lost it within a year, and put a bit back on, now trying to lose a bit/look more muscular at the current weight. Anyways, I'm not too active on here with forums and such, but I've logged every day for those three years. Also a nerd. Best of luck!
  • Spiritfoxx96
    Spiritfoxx96 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    :D Nerds! Do you watch anime or game at all? (MMOrpgs, MOBAs - least what I play mostly). Add me if you want. ❤️
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    nicca_jb wrote: »

Yep, there are quite a few groups out there and 2 biggest ones are The Geek Squid and MFP Gamers. The group search function can be hit or miss on MFP so here are direct links to the groups for people who are interested

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3566-the-geek-squid

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/19-mfp-gamers

• goodideabear
    Options
    :D Nerds! Do you watch anime or game at all? (MMOrpgs, MOBAs - least what I play mostly). Add me if you want. ❤️

Hi!

No, no anime or gaming! But... I'm totally open to learning some anime! Haha, i'm an art major, so I have an appreciation for the craft! Care to recommend any to me?

• gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi!

No, no anime or gaming! But... I'm totally open to learning some anime! Haha, i'm an art major, so I have an appreciation for the craft! Care to recommend any to me?

I always recommend someone who is brand new to anime check out some of the great movies out there. Pretty much anything by Hayao Miyazaki and Summer Wars are great staring points, especially from an art standpoint. As far as series, I'd say it depends on what genre of TV show/what kind of story you typically like. There are horror, action, mystery, love stories, etc. Some are crazy fantasies and some are more directly based off of real life scenarios. I do recommend Cowboy Bebop as one of the great classics that tends to appeal to most people.
  • MelodyyAlexxis
    MelodyyAlexxis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To the geeks out there, friend me! I'd love to talk to you about all things nerd and maybe we can support each others goals as well! x