Keep failing and going nowhere, help? (long & chaos post)

Options
ah I´m not really sure where to post this.. but I just need help :(
I apologize in advance i´m bad a writing texts.
I´m newly 20 years old and in college.
I've spent the whole summer trying to lose weight (actually for longer than that)
but since i fell off the routine i had started forming few months back, Ive totally lost it.
I have very bad depression and suicidal thoughts which is besides the point but it´s not helping me with everything.
Ive been trying to start a regular routine of doing the work out insanity, but I just can´t continue anything I do! :/ I kinda am simply stuck right now.. Thinking of buying a 3 month gym membership in august if all fails and work out 2 times a day, and then start judo again in september...

I have a slow thyroid aka hypothyroid (I think) and i'm trying to change medication hopefully soon, but for now i have no energy and sleep whenever i can outside of work (fail at morning workouts because of that)
I also have problems with food, slowly for months I´m just getting this disgusted feeling everytime after eating most food choices i once enjoyed , like.. i want to throw it up after idk it´s weird. doesnt help im not a big meat eater.
Just focusing on trying chicken and veggies these days.. or buying protein powder replacements maybe idk .. :(

sorry that it´s long I´m honestly just lost, so so lost on what to say or do...
and if help on here will actually push me forward or not...
I just keep gaining weight instead of losing it , I´m currently 167,5 cms and 80 kgs and aiming to be around 50-55 kgs, not going so well..
So if this makes any sense to anyone... Help D: ?
over and out.... -hides in corner-

Replies

• bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    First thing first...depression and suicidal thoughts need attention before your weight. That's a HUGE part of your overall health and not to be taken lightly.

From there...
    Find your TDEE. Use MFP to track your food. Start an exercise program (I just started jamie Eason's free 12 week live fit) and stick with it!

If certain foods make you feel sick, avoid them. However it sounds like you have deeper issues that need attention? Otherwise there's tons of info on this site to get you started.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    bmchenry02 wrote: »
    First thing first...depression and suicidal thoughts need attention before your weight. That's a HUGE part of your overall health and not to be taken lightly.

I agree.

When you are in the middle of a depression, it is all-consuming and very much the point.

Please get some professional help. If you don't feel like you can do that yourself, ask a friend or family member for support.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Huge hug heading your way...and please, seek some counseling. Is your family supportive? Are they aware of your struggles? Your college may also have some counseling programs available for students. The first step is finding someone to help you tackle your depression.
  • GuddaB
    GuddaB Posts: 30 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The thing is my family actually knows about it and most of my family members are badly depressed themselfs so they personally dont care , and think i don´t need help anyway.
    I think if i can get myself in a routine and see some progress , my depression may become better i guess.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're 20 years old. Please seek professional help for the depression, the rest will follow.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to your family in this case. See if your school has any support programs available. Do you have some kind of guidance counselor or mentor?
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    GuddaB wrote: »
    The thing is my family actually knows about it and most of my family members are badly depressed themselfs so they personally dont care , and think i don´t need help anyway.
    I think if i can get myself in a routine and see some progress , my depression may become better i guess.

Write down your goals and make them visible. Commit to one day at a time. You're headed in the right direction...you just need to keep moving there.
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi there! I've been dealing with a lot of your same issues (depression, suicidal thoughts & hypothyroidism) and thins are looking up for me so I hope I can help some!!
    First off, I echo what everyone above said about looking for help. I know it's hard but it's worth it!
    Second, are you on the correct dosage of medication for hypothyroidism? I've found that I gain much easier if my dosage is too low.
    ETA I've found my depression worsens when my dosage is too low, though your case could definitely be different!!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you could be happier. A good therapist could help.

Smart people seek help when they need it. Be smart. Seek help.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

You may see a tiny bit of relief, but the fact is, if you address the depression 1st, then the rest will be SO much easier. They really are inherently linked. Please, care enough for yourself to properly address this issue. It doesn't matter if your family doesn't think you need help. They need help, too, but if they refuse to get it, there's probably not much you can do about that.

The very best thing you can do is to take good care of yourself, then you will actually have more to help others with.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Real depression is a chemical imbalance in your brain. You can't just will it away.

Find a friend, find somebody neutral to check in with about this.

It sounds like you might be on break from university, but if you can access services there, that is an excellent place to start.
  • kittywrangler
    kittywrangler Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My small 2 cents
    I think small goals are something to start with if you find you can't complete anything. I also have depression issues and have that same problem, and found with easier to attain goals (the ones I thought were too easy) kept me motivated when I actually completed them which brings me to Insanity.
    Insanity is HARD. I tried it for 3 days and then felt depleted/frustated because I didn't want to continue it. It wasn't enjoyable.
    I don't know how you're feeling about the Insanity, but I'd like to suggest looking at Fitness Blender videos. Theres a lot of them. Pick one or two and try them.. At least you'll feel accomplished =)

Its a real problem depression and a lot of folks think those with this condition need to toughen up, get on with it, get over it, whatever. No. I understand how hopeless it can be, and the anxiety it creates and hope you can find something that can give you peace. Exercise and seeing progress was what helped for me but everyone needs to find their own path.. these are only suggestions.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Really good advice from everyone about getting help for depression.

Just wanted to note that (as I'm sure you know), a little bit of exercise can help a bit with mood. If the DVDs feel daunting, just walking outside, if you can manage, would help both your body and brain.
  • GuddaB
    GuddaB Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone.
    Not really sure about getting help about the depression since It´s way too expensive in my country and only way would be medication, so ill just try focusing on the exercising and try getting back .... :/
    oh well....
  • Spiritfoxx96
    Spiritfoxx96 Posts: 8 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hello, I'm around your age, I am 19; If you feel the need to talk to anyone, I may not be a professional, but it's always nice to talk to someone about your problems every so often. I feel like my past can somewhat relate to your, in a sense. Feel free to add or message me. I wish you the best though everything though. Xoxo
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Walk, I really can't tell you how much that helped me when I had depression a few years ago. I started of walking for 30 minutes then built up to 90. Try to do it somewhere calming, woods, round a lake etc.

Other than that you just need to toughen up on your self, set your calorie goals on here and don't let yourself make excuses to go over them. Read other peoples food diarys to see how you can eat a fair amount of food yet stay under. Good luck with it and a hug sent your way for strength x0x
  • anyatanu
    anyatanu Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey...
    Why is this depression...what will you gt frm depression...jst start healthy lifestyle..its not that difficult dear..jst balanced food on rte time..dont think much about weight jst think of healthy lifestyle..proper food...right timing...nd workouts(any kind of workout you enjoy swimmin...boxin...aerobics...anythinggggg)...automatically everythin will fall in its place..nd 80 kg z nt that hugeee to loss dear...there are so many ppl who r havin mre weight than this nd they r really wrking hard to maintain there healthy lifestyle and living happily ..so dnt loose your heart fr such small thing..you r of such young age nd jst loosin ur heart by such a small thing..hw will u cope up with upcoming difficult hurdles in life..
    Jst wanna say dnt bring negative thoughts...b happy...concentrate on healthy lifestyle..wat you eat is what you look...nd most important act this moment only..dnt think i will start tomorrow or that day..ACT NOW..nd you will see how light nd good you will feel :)

Best wishes!!!
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism and depression are linked. I'm hypothyroid myself so i would say first and foremost badger your doctor to get your thyroid medication right. That will help with the low energy the need to sleep all the time (btw those to scream to me that you are way way way undermedicated for your thyroid) and it will also help with your food issues. What you describe is so familiar to me i was the same i didn't enjoy food at all i ate for the sake of eating and went for convenience as i just didn't want anything. Also exercising when undermedicated probably makes matters worse eventhough it should help with your depression. If you are having suicidal thoughts maybe it is a good idea to get some anti depressants for now from your doc just to help you get through and up on your feet again.

Once your thyroid meds are sorted the weightloss will come with the help of diet and exercise but please focus on getting help from your doctor first.

If you have any questions about hypothyroidism or anything else, you want a rant, anything, send me a message.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Big hug to you.

Getting to a spot where you feel better about yourself is not impossible.

You might need some help and I hope you can talk to someone about feeling hopeless.

A couple things that you can do are doing some kind of exercise that gets your endorpins up to help you feel better. It doesn't need to be more complicated than walking outdoors in the sunlight. If you fell like you need extra sleep... Guess what. Sleep more! There is no shame in sleeping 8 to 10 hours a day while you are healing emotionally. Sometimes we need to give in to letting ourselves rest and recover.

Think to a time or place where you felt at peace and try to visualize those elements and build them into your life. Be very gentle with yourself.