Cambridge diet?

Options
Hi everyone!
Has anyone taken to calorie counting after previously being on the Cambridge diet? My weight is creeping up since finishing it 3 weeks ago!

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    That's the problem with most diets. They don't teach you how to maintian weight loss. Counting calories will allow you to develop habits that will enable you to keep the weight off forever.
  • LauraMcF2015
    LauraMcF2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping so! I went from 12.3 to 9.0 so hoping to get to 8 stone 7 this way
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup, a VLCD will do that to you, and frankly, that's how they make their money.
  • LauraMcF2015
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, unfortunately what's done is done and I'm looking to move towards a healthier view so positive encouragement would be gratefully received.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You have a lot to look forward to then. Set up your MFP diary. Eat any type of food you like, icecream being one of my daily treats :) The only real rule is do not over eat your calories over a week long period. If you stick to it you lose weight in a healthy way and learn to not over eat.

Good luck
  • LauraMcF2015
    Options
    Thanks so much. That sounds like a great idea and really appreciated. Thanks again!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I did Tony Ferguson, very similar. Lost a TON of weight, and put it all back on very quickly thereafter. Unlike you, I didn't seek advice and just let it happen and ended up with more to lose than I started with.

My biggest advice, apart from setting up MFP profile and following it, is to readjust your thinking. You're not going to lose it super fast, because you're not doing a VLCD. On the bright side, you're also not going to lose muscle mass along with fat, and potentially be cranky and miserable!

Don't think of it as a diet - make sustainable changes that will stick. Making extreme changes to lose just means you'll either regain, or will have to learn a whole new way all over again - losing sensibly and sustainably once may be slower, but is infinitely more likely to stick than learning a new, extreme way of eating once, then learning another whole new way of sustainable eating to keep it that way. If we got to needing to lose weight eating 'normally', then our 'normal' is what got us there and so you'll not be able to go back to 'normal' again.

A lot of people figure that they will lose it, then learn to maintain. But when you learn the right habits, losing and maintaining is exactly the same thing, just tweaking the figures.
  • LauraMcF2015
    Options
    That may be the most useful piece of advice I've received. So helpful and you're completely right. Thank you so much
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If we got to needing to lose weight eating 'normally', then our 'normal' is what got us there and so you'll not be able to go back to 'normal' again.

The keenest and most succinctly put insight I have read in the three months I been using MFP. We are here to help each other build a new and better "normal".

@LauraMcF2015 Congratulations on your loss. I had to look up "stone" and Wow. Follow Alatariel75's advice and you'll be set for life. :)
  • LauraMcF2015
    Options
    Absolutely and I couldn't be more happy to receive it. My normal has changed radically and it's now about finding balance. Thanks so much @ohgeeque