Losing weight in my 40's.

Options
I am new to mfp, and want to shed about 70 pounds. I say shed and not lose because I don't never want to find the pounds again! Looking for motivated people to help along the way.

Replies

• scary_mary73
    scary_mary73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and trying to loose weight, you can add me if you want :)
  • 3audkids
    3audkids Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm 44, I'm trying to improve my overall health and well being. Add me if you want.
  • KristinKory
    KristinKory Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Welcome - Feel free to add me as well. I am 40 and also looking for motivated friends here. I log my food intake and exercise daily.
  • fullylugged
    fullylugged Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Way past my 40s but feel free to add me if you like. As we age, our BMR (basal metabolic rate - the # of calories we burn just being alive) goes down, so adding exercise to our eating plan is important. Stretching to build and keep flexibility is good too. It also uses calories, believe it or not, and helps avoid injuries. Add activities slowly and keep building as you go. I do 3 sets of two exercises each morning, alternating the exercises on different days. I use the rest between sets to read, drink coffee, etc. In an hour, it's all done.
  • iwilllosethis67
    iwilllosethis67 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am47 and find it very difficult to lose at this age. Feel free to add me for support
  • JulieEurillo
    JulieEurillo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    42 and still adjusting to this new metabolism! Yikes! 30 lbs to shed in order to get back to a healthy weight. Please add me!
  • Lifeonmars2015
    Lifeonmars2015 Posts: 667 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Me at 35, and now at 45, feel free to add
    ckhnsfe6o05h.jpg
  • HeatherDunnell1979
    HeatherDunnell1979 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and log in and record my diary everyday, feel free to add me
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I hope none of the ladies here are so desperate as to fall for any traps laid by good looking guys. It might just be someone from Nigeria who's just after your money. … Or it might be an axe murderer. Anyway this is a weight loss site not a pick up site. Ladies be careful.
  • shellbell1111
    shellbell1111 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Hi, I'm 44 with 3 kids. Back to MFP after trying unsuccessfully to lose on my own. Definitely finding it harder to lose as I've gotten older, but I'm determined to lose about 65 lbs and get healthy. Feel free to add me!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    I hope none of the ladies here are so desperate as to fall for any traps laid by good looking guys. It might just be someone from Nigeria who's just after your money. … Or it might be an axe murderer. Anyway this is a weight loss site not a pick up site. Ladies be careful.

If ladies want to hook up, they go to the ChitChat section. :tongue:

I'm nearly 45 and lost 158#. Age doesn't make weight loss impossible.
  • Lifeonmars2015
    Lifeonmars2015 Posts: 667 Member
    Options

Where did that come from, personal experience?
  • mineboy
    mineboy Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options

Please not all men are axe murders or money hunters........ here to support and help for myself. add away people

• depoqueen
    depoqueen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm in the same boat but in my 50's. Let's do this! :)
  • allush17
    allush17 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Excuse me ma'am.... if u had issues with a 'Nigerian' u keep ur issue with him.... don't come after every male Nigerian.... I am a 19yr old Nigerian reading my *kitten* out to get my law degree... myself and alot of my friendsmake an honest living.... because of people like you i find it hard to make good friends online anymore even as a female just because of ur type of discriminatory attitude.... be wise
    P. S:I find it repulsive that u think that way and in my opinion only people that are looking for 'hookups' or whatever these men are offering fall victims to them when they make themselves vulnerable.... even we Nigerian ladies fall into their traps if we ain't smart and please dont be an hypocrite and tell me u don't have such opportunistic men in ur country too...... talk wise, think smart, stay blessed
  • Caztratts
    Caztratts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Hoping I can come here for support and inspiration. I have a lot to lose (70lb) and I'm determined
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    don't use your age as an excuse

your TDEE drops around 100 calories a day every decade from around 20-25 .. that's not huge .. that's slightly less than a medium banana

your TDEE drops because you are not as active and you don't have as much muscle mass

- easy solution: move more, follow a progressive resistance programme to preserve / build your muscle mass hence minimising any fall in TDEE

It's not harder as you get older, it's easier .. you've got more time, more confidence, more will to succeed .. and you know what else you have .. you have old age just around the corner (look how fast the last 40 years went)

personally, I plan to grow old kicking and screaming :bigsmile:

edited to add: Please note: you lose scale weight by eating at a calorie defecit
  • Daisyhatespeach
    Daisyhatespeach Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am 40 and have lost 10.5 lbs since starting 35 days ago. I still have 67.5 to go to reach my original goal weight. Feel free to add me :)
  • KeysGirl23
    KeysGirl23 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and on my way... Feel free to add me too! We got this!
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Im 43 and feeling good after 50 days and 24lbs.