Question - MFP Calories or fitness machine calories?

Options
Hi everyone! I have been using this website for a little while, and as I'm upping up my ante on my fitness routine, I'm wondering...

I use the elliptical trainer often, mostly for 40 minutes on a program that is pretty high intensity. It really makes me sweat. The machine I use asks me to enter my weight, the time (40 mins) and the program. By the end of it, it tells me I've burnt around 550-650 calories, yet MFP tells me I've burnt only 444 when I choose 'elliptical trainer'. What should I do? Believe the machine and add the exercise manually or believe MFP and add the workout under 'elliptical trainer'?

I think I should really get this resolved, because I've come to realize that eating my exercise calories is pretty crucial. Yet I am unsure how many I've burnt!

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Older machines at the gym will give you a higher cal, inaccurate result.

For me, the older machine says 650 cals in 55 min, the newer machines say 530-560 depending on the day and MFP says 544 so I trust MFP the most.

That being said, your best option is to get a HRM with a chest strap.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    You really should get an HRM with a chest strap to get an accurate count, however, in the meantime, go by MFP.
  • johnnythebaptist
    Options
    I also use the Ellipticals and they are all new....Mine to day said I burne 739 Calories at a pace under 9:00 min miles. The HRM said I did 1042 Calories. Therefore, I just use the machines calories rather than the HRM i'd rather be safe than sorry!!!!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    MPF is a pretty general number. If your elliptical takes your pulse and lets you enter your age and weight it is probably pretty accurate. That said, my elliptical is always about 33% higher than it should be compared to a bio-harness readout or even an heart rate monitor.

You could use either number and just keep track of progress, but if you are really wanting as close to an accurate number as possible I'd go with a heart rate monitor. I have a Gamin FR60 that didn't cost all that much, has a chest strap (all accurate devices do) and is right on with my more expensive zephyr bio-harness for heart rate and calories.

If you do outside runs there are also HRM's with a built in GPS to track your runs for you.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I use an Octane Elliptical at my gym, and i do their interval program. It lasts 30 minutes and the machine says I burn 240 while my HRM says between 427 and 443.. I always go with my HRM.
  • elimenohpe
    elimenohpe Posts: 3
    Options
    i use these for elliptical & spinning, they take intensity into account & are usually in between what the machine & MFP say

http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/body/calculators/activities
    http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/caloriesburned/elliptical_trainer/
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, if I have two different numbers, I always take the lower of the two.

Better safe than sorry I guess.
  • mbasham369
    mbasham369 Posts: 26
    Options
    THANK YOU!

I'll be getting a heart rate monitor for sure :):)