help my daughter

Options
I'm having trouble helping my daughter, we have kicked of with our new healthy and active lifestyles to lose weight together and my daughter wants to get a lot fitter before a big fitness camp in 9 months (she's 16yrs, 5'4ft and 73kgs) she purchased the Kayla Itsines 12 week Bikini Body guide which she trys to complete to the best of her ability as she has back issues and can't complete most of the excerises without getting frustrated at her self, i tell her not to worry! she's putting lot of pressure on her self to lose her "chubbiness" as she calls it and get fitter before this camp. She has taking all the sports classes for school next year and feels pressured to become more 'lean and fit'. i tell her she shouldn't worry about this, but she is extremely self cautious. Now the point is she isn't losing any of the extra weight and finding most excerises hard to complete. she also rides her horse around 3-4 times a week (which donst help the back issues) and is doing some activity mostly everyday even if its just taking the dog for a 5minute walk. i thought this would be enough, i mean she's only 16 years old! i just dont want her working herself up any more. we have switched out all the foods such as white bread for dark rye, white rice to brown rice, full fat milk to almond milk, fresh fruit more, all the oils are swapped for olive or coconut oil, no processed meats, no store bought muesli bars or cereals. She finds her self hungry a lot and i always see her at the pantry especially at night. can she be over eating even with all the healthier options? is she getting enough excerise because the workouts that she does...it dosnt exactly make her puffed for long periods of times such as 45mitues of hard cardio muscle shaking workouts and never feels the sore muscles the next morning. I'm getting really worried she's taking this to far, she doesn't have an eating disorder (such as starving herself) as she's always eating! haha. what can i do to help her? telling her she's beautiful and lean already clearly dosnt work so this is why we have embarked on the better lifestyle so I'm going to help her get fit but the right way, no skinny me teas or fad diets. (sorry for long post)!! THANK YOU!!!!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    So you and your daughter are the same height, weight and both over eat? Than my advice is the same as in your thread.
    Start using MFP to log your food so that you don't over eat. Weight is lost in the kitchen.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    So you and your daughter are the same height, weight and both over eat? Than my advice is the same as in your thread.
    Start using MFP to log your food so that you don't over eat. Weight is lost in the kitchen.

Agree on this. To lose weight you need to eat less calories than burning. Obviously, that is not the case the case.
    Just start logging everything for a while without setting a goal. If you measure everything you will be surprised how much you are actually eating.

As to your daughter's back issues, get a doctor's diagnosis to see what's wrong. If the doctor says it is okay get her to work with a physical therapist to strengthen her back muscles.

• FitandHealthyLifestyles
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

Agree on this. To lose weight you need to eat less calories than burning. Obviously, that is not the case the case.
    Just start logging everything for a while without setting a goal. If you measure everything you will be surprised how much you are actually eating.

As to your daughter's back issues, get a doctor's diagnosis to see what's wrong. If the doctor says it is okay get her to work with a physical therapist to strengthen her back muscles.

yes we have been attending pyshio for sometime now and we are trying to work around this
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Eating 3000 calories in fruit, veg, wholemeal etc and eating 3000 calories in donuts, cake, choc is still 3000 calories worth of food.

You have got to track the calories.
  • FitandHealthyLifestyles
    FitandHealthyLifestyles Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • CoachKatie814
    CoachKatie814 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It is possible to over eat healthy food, or eat the wrong kinds/amounts of different healthy foods (ie too much bread not enough chicken type things). What sort of back problems does your daughter have? Kayla itsines guide may not be the best exercise to start off with for someone with back problems, unless you modify the exercises to be safe for your daughter (which is easy to do! And might cause her less frustration).

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Swapping isn't as helpful as tracking food and a five minute dog walk isn't exercise for a teenager.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    This is too complex for this forum to resolve. I think you should both go and see a dietician together. The dietician can help you work out a meal plan that would be right for the amount of exercise you are both doing.

Also i disagree with the use of coconut oil. Don't forget oil is fattening. Also disagree with the use of almond milk which does not have the nutrition of milk. She is better to have low fat milk than almond milk. She needs the calcium as she is a growing girl. We all need lots of calcium.

If she's always eating, its possible that her meals are not big enough and that she has a bit of a mood problem. Get her into a happy place. I know its easier said than done when talking about teenagers.

Are the back issues due to her weight. Anyway she should see a physiotherapist to get exercise and fitness advice.
  • racheln2017
    racheln2017 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    As someone who's been struggling with weightloss since 16 (I'm 18 now) I do understand where your daughter is coming from, and it may help coming from someone close to her age. However, like others have said, weight loss is 80%+ in the kitchen. You have to track your food, and make sure you're not overeating. Also, find a good workout modified for people with back issues. There are plenty out there. Just because it doesn't say "bikini guide" doesn't mean it's not good. Also she really needs to understand that at her weight, she doesn't have a ton of weight to lose, and it's going to be slow. You don't lose 20lbs overnight. She can't get discouraged so quickly. And going on to her "hunger" ask her if she's really hungry, if her stomach is actually growling. More likely than not, it's her being bored and mistaking that for hunger. I had that problem a lot when I was starting off, and to help that, I drink a LOT of water, or chew gum. It helps. A lot. Drinking water with every meal (particularly after every bite) helps fill you up and keeps you from eating too much. Just have her give these ideas some thought.
  • jmd543
    jmd543 Posts: 174 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's great that you are so supportive of your daughter. I wonder, based on my anecdotal experience as a teen, if she could use more support from her peers who have healthy habits. My mother was four inches shorter than me and had "kept her 18 inch waist since 18" (she's admirable, very self-disciplined, and does weight training, too) and her efforts to encourage me to eat under 1000 calories as a teen, when I had to wait for my dad to get home and eat dinner around 8:00, resulted in MY bad decisions to not eat in front of others at school from shame (just drink skim milk), skipping breakfast (because I slept late) and lunch and eating packaged pb crackers at work or sneaking chips at home. Are there any teen groups on MFP? I can't remember if there is an age limit. Even people in their early twenties might be encouraging models for her.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Teach yourself about how weight loss is really achieved and you will waste less time and become more effective. Your post indicates you are making changes without understanding or in he mistaken to belief of the changes they will bring. Its all about deficit and calorie counting for weight loss. learn to do the basics well and start by reading the stickies.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    jmd543 wrote: »
    It's great that you are so supportive of your daughter. I wonder, based on my anecdotal experience as a teen, if she could use more support from her peers who have healthy habits. My mother was four inches shorter than me and had "kept her 18 inch waist since 18" (she's admirable, very self-disciplined, and does weight training, too) and her efforts to encourage me to eat under 1000 calories as a teen, when I had to wait for my dad to get home and eat dinner around 8:00, resulted in MY bad decisions to not eat in front of others at school from shame (just drink skim milk), skipping breakfast (because I slept late) and lunch and eating packaged pb crackers at work or sneaking chips at home. Are there any teen groups on MFP? I can't remember if there is an age limit. Even people in their early twenties might be encouraging models for her.

There aren't teen groups here since this place is for 18+ years old. For her daughter, she should visit www.sparkteens.com.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm having trouble helping my daughter, we have kicked of with our new healthy and active lifestyles to lose weight together and my daughter wants to get a lot fitter before a big fitness camp in 9 months (she's 16yrs, 5'4ft and 73kgs)...
    Fitness camp? Is this like a camp where people go to get in shape? Is she trying to lose weight so she doesn't have to go? Or?

Now the point is she isn't losing any of the extra weight and finding most excerises hard to complete. she also rides her horse around 3-4 times a week (which donst help the back issues) and is doing some activity mostly everyday even if its just taking the dog for a 5minute walk. i thought this would be enough, i mean she's only 16 years old!
    Yeah, she is 16 years old. Teenagers can be just as physically active (if not more) than adults.

we have switched out all the foods such as white bread for dark rye, white rice to brown rice, full fat milk to almond milk, fresh fruit more, all the oils are swapped for olive or coconut oil, no processed meats, no store bought muesli bars or cereals. She finds her self hungry a lot and i always see her at the pantry especially at night. can she be over eating even with all the healthier options?
    Over-eating is about eating too much; even if it's too much carrots.

If you haven't already, take her to the doctor for a physical. If she doesn't have any medical problems, (1) continue the exercises and, as they get easier and easier, build up the intensity/duration, (2) determine her daily food calorie limit, and (3) count her food calories daily to stay within said limit.