one legged plank

Options
Feeling the need to share my small victory, hope you dont mind!

So, im an amputee, currently weighing in at 238lbs. So not small shall we say.

I have been working on doing the plank for a little while, but only through my knees rather than my foot.

Today I actually managed to hold a full plank for a whole 10 seconds! On one foot! It was very very hard! And I shall be doing it all again tomo :)

Small victories :)

Replies

• mrsjb1984
    mrsjb1984 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    While im here, once I can manage to hold it for a full 30 seconds, what would you recommend as the next step on from a plank-sideways on?

Also are there any big no nos I should be avoiding? Dont want to hurt myself.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The plank is great for the ab try to increase your time. In time you can try the plank side ways keep it up think positive awesome
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add, cept: BRAVA. Well done!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Awesome!

When you are ready for another plank challenge, you could try one leg and one arm planks. http://www.fitbie.com/sites/default/files/plank-opposite-arm-leg-ex.jpg
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    :) Good for you!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Great for you and big props!!! Well done!!
  • janisvin
    janisvin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep it up!
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love planking. It is a great exercise when done properly and you can vary it up to keep it fresh. You can add time or weight to increase the difficulty of regular planking. Also, side planking is good for your obliques and planking against a surface like a workout ball or bosu can increase the difficulty given they require you to focus on maintaining your balance more. I am inspired to hear that you will keep working on it as I am sure that it is difficult considering your amputation.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    That's amazing - clearly you've been working very hard! My challenge since I'm trying avoid surgery on a super loose shoulder is to do "up-down" planks (may not be the official name) - start from your hands, stay in plank and go down to your elbows, then back up to hands etc. It's really challenging, more than you would think from the description.
  • mrsjb1984
    mrsjb1984 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is awesome, WTG!

Another way to increase the difficulty would be by gradually elevating your foot on a surface.
  • irisillusia
    irisillusia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    mrsjb1984 wrote: »
    Feeling the need to share my small victory, hope you dont mind!

So, im an amputee, currently weighing in at 238lbs. So not small shall we say.

I have been working on doing the plank for a little while, but only through my knees rather than my foot.

Today I actually managed to hold a full plank for a whole 10 seconds! On one foot! It was very very hard! And I shall be doing it all again tomo :)

Small victories :)

Nicely done! Plank is very difficult as an amputee. My foot/ankle setup isnt something i would balance on, maybe ill try one on one foot sometime soon! Good for you!
  • sthoms2
    sthoms2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That's great! Plank is difficult but it is one of the best ways to tighten your core.
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I can barely do a plank for 5 seconds with both my legs- you are an inspiration. I always hold them longer on my knees and try to do them on my toes as much as I can... But I still kinda suck at it lol