Depression and exercising.

Options
Hello! So recently I went to my therapist and she told me exercising is a good way to kinda get out of a slump. So I'm going to try it! I woke up this morning motivated so this should be good! I'm wanting to loose at least 50lbs. Anyone want to be my workout buddy! I love meeting new people so feel free to add me!

Replies

• Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    it definitely helps me feel better. Its my stress reliever. feel free to add me. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My first day back in the gym after gaining weight was after I was feeling so depressed and anxious I could puke. The rest is history. I haven't stopped since! It can really help. Just do the things you like. Even if it's only 10 minutes at first. You'll know when to push yourself a little more.
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I actually only started exercising because I have a lot of anxiety. I didn't want the doctor throwing pills and medication at me, so I bought an elliptical and started using it everyday. It has definitely taken the edge off all my anxiety and I feel really good too - also lost some weight for an added bonus :) now I love exercising, I get in to my own little zone and it centers me. I am a firm believer and supporter that exercise can help with depression and anxiety :) so happy moving and congrats on your new dedication !!!
  • aaajn
    aaajn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a long history with this topic. I have battled with depression for a long time, kept it in check until I spent time in a war zone. Got kind of bad after that. Meds did help but exercise was the only thing to eradicate the blues. In the beginning, I was only clear during the exercise, later, the effects lasted for two hours, then half a day, now, with regular strenuous exercise, don't need the meds. It really works.
  • devon2che
    devon2che Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I suffer from clinical depression and take medication. I want to exercise but my body won't follow. How do I get that point where my mind and body do the same thing?
  • Mudakon
    Mudakon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hiya there, so im actually in therapy right now and when i go to the gym and lift weights, thats probably the only time i feel good and can forget about things. So go ahead and work out it WILL help 100%. But don't be surprised if the first couple of times feel weird especially when you go to a gym with alot of buff dudes and super skinny girls (like i did ;-; i felt like a blob)