Why won't my stomach EVER slim down?

Options
13»

Replies

• kdel0818
    kdel0818 Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree with Sarah, weight lifting will help you burn fat all over and add definition to your arms and legs so you'll feel more proportionate. Try eating more lean protein and cutting back on processed foods and sodium, which make you bloated. Also, the best core exercise for tightening your middle is planking. (crunches don't really work)

Hope that helps!

Kerri

What is planking? I had back surgery and I have two rods down my spine so I can't bend the right way to do crunches. I'm looking for better ways to work my abs.
  • mommyofatoz
    mommyofatoz Posts: 28 Member
    Options

What is planking? I had back surgery and I have two rods down my spine so I can't bend the right way to do crunches. I'm looking for better ways to work my abs.
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/qt/plank.htm
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Try to read about and practice weight lifting. Cardio can only do so much for our bodies, weight lifting is where the shaping really comes in. Rent a book or do some internet research on what size weights, what amount of reps, and what exercises are right for you as a beginner. You can even use your own body weight as a start if you cannot afford to purchase new equipment.

Keep eating well and losing the extra weight. Do overall body work, not just on your belly, and your body will decide when it is time to shape up that middle. I know it is a long hard battle, but keep at it and you WILL see the results you are looking for.

I am a huge supporter of bodyweight exercises. In less than two months...with a reasonable and easy to maintain diet, and only exercising 3x a week for 45 minutes or so (no weights!), I went from this:

7434194_4705.jpg

To these:

7434194_7213.jpg7434194_7487.jpg

You can't see in the pictures...but I definitely still have a middle issue. And LOVE HANDLES...bleh! I'm thinking I'm going to have to cut carbs from bread even more (I'm down to 125-150/day most days) to fix it.
    Thank you everyone, i'll just have to keep at it. I'm a fairly clean eater anyway, with the occasional treat. I do think carbs have a lot to do with it, but that's the main energy source I have. I'll try to add more protein and up dairy a little, but I'm pretty stuck on the carb front (I LOVE bread)

When you lower your carbs, increase your fats...you'll never notice. Your body will feed your brain and maintain your energy levels properly...and it doesn't require carbs exclusively to do it.

Cris
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    The one truth body builders and fitness models know that nobody ever seems to admit is that abs are built in the kitchen. you can do all the ab exercises you want but unless you burn that fat, the muscles will never show and as you found out, actually makes your stomach bigger. You'll have to drop some carbs to reduce your body fat percentage.
  • katslosingit
    katslosingit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Do other people see the "fat" you see? In your pictures you seem to be quite slim and your comment about starving yourself in the past makes me wonder if you're seeing something that isn't there to begin with.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when I started doing circuit training (cardio AND strength training) my belly went WAY down. For women, the belly (and hips) are usually the last places we lose weight. Our bodies hold onto weight there so they're ready if we get pregnant. So, be patient. It takes a LONG time (I've been working hard at this for over a year and am now seeing a HUGE difference in my belly). So, be patient. Try doing strength training and ab work too.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sarah, weight lifting will help you burn fat all over and add definition to your arms and legs so you'll feel more proportionate. Try eating more lean protein and cutting back on processed foods and sodium, which make you bloated. Also, the best core exercise for tightening your middle is planking. (crunches don't really work)

Hope that helps!

Kerri

I have rods in my spine too and can't do crunches (or most ab work actually)... I've tried to do different ab workouts and can't do any of them. I do use the ab machine at the gym -- I know it isn't the best workout, but it's better than nothing (and my spine can handle it).
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I have the same problem and while you can build your ab muscles, the problem is that the muscles are still under a layer of fat. It is always the last place I lose weight too (and the one place I want to lose from). Unfortunately you just have to keep at it and when your body runs out of other fat reserves it will start taking from the stomach, it just happens to be the last place that people tend to lose :(
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I'm having the same issue but with the hideous fat rolls on my back. Everything, and I mean everything is going away, but those things are hanging on for dear life. *sigh*
  • jessicakaty
    Options
    Thank you everyone, i'll just have to keep at it. I'm a fairly clean eater anyway, with the occasional treat. I do think carbs have a lot to do with it, but that's the main energy source I have. I'll try to add more protein and up dairy a little, but I'm pretty stuck on the carb front (I LOVE bread)

Which do you love more. A thin tummy or carbs? the choice is yours. Also when you say you do cardio. What is your cardio exercise? Do you use a HRM? what is your hr at and your intensity level?

I think I needed somebody to ask me this question :') There's only one thing that stops me from restricting a little further - the feelings of deprivation that could kick in if I cut down on carbs, then perhaps end up overeating... It's a toughie.

I used to do a workout DVD for 40 mins - really high intensity aerobics. I burnt approx 200-300 in tha ttime. Now I go to the gym 2-3 times a week, where I do a combination of cardio (45-60 mins, around 400-500 burn) and 20 mins of strength training.

I'm not going to give up though!

P.s No I don't use an HRM... wayyy too expensive for a poor student like me!
  • jessicakaty
    Options
    You say that ab workouts tend to make it worse....I have been told that when you first start to build muscle in that area, it actually does pooch out more because the muscle is getting larger....but it's gettting firmer! And if you stick with it, it will become flatter. Does that make sense?

I know what you mean, it just makes me look almost pregnant because I'm building muscle but it's still covered in darn fat! Definitely firmer than before, but makes me look bigger which freaks me out loads. I guess I'm worried that if I stick with it, then it'll grow and grow and grow and it'll take absolutely ages for the fat to leave. But I do hear ya... Might take a few months of looking like a weeble, haha
  • jessicakaty
    Options
    I'm the same - a lot of it is genetics. You have an apple body type; your body wants to store its excesses in the belly. I'll bet you have thin arms and legs, and store weight in your belly, bust, chin, and upper arms and thighs, right?

It WILL come off, be patient. My waistline just didn't show up until nearly the last ten pounds. Mixed strength/cardio type exercises - swimming, rowing, climbing stairs - those will help flatten the pooch down.

YES! 'The belly' runs in my family for sure - my dad has a minor case of 'middle torso obesity' (but his legs and arms are really skinny! haha!) and my mum definitely has a middle.

I have very thin arms and legs compared to the rest of me - my wrists are tiny, but you're right - most of my fat is stored in my middle (top, center and bottom), definitely my chin, upperarms more than bottom, and tops of my thighs.. You're a genuis. I'll definitely get onto working harder.
  • jessicakaty
    Options
    Do other people see the "fat" you see? In your pictures you seem to be quite slim and your comment about starving yourself in the past makes me wonder if you're seeing something that isn't there to begin with.

Most of my photos were from when I wasn't very well... Since then I have put on everything again + more. I also made sure my belly was fairly hidden in them. My mother also pointed out that I have a bigger belly than anything else, so I'm 99% sure that what I'm seeing is something I can work to be rid of. Thank you though.
  • jessicakaty
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your brilliant replies :) I read through all of them and can't believe how wonderful you all are on this site.

Cris, AMAZING work - there is such a huge difference, I never thought I would envy a guy's success!

Plan of action is:
    1) Cut back on carbs, and only have wholegrain/wheat/meal when I do
    2) Try to eat cleaner - fresh fish, fruits and veggies
    3) Pump up the cardio 5-6x per week. Strength training at the gym.
    4) Planks and ab workouts!
    5) DO NOT GIVE UP

Thanks for all the useful information & links! Feel free to add me.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your brilliant replies :) I read through all of them and can't believe how wonderful you all are on this site.

Cris, AMAZING work - there is such a huge difference, I never thought I would envy a guy's success!

Plan of action is:
    1) Cut back on carbs, and only have wholegrain/wheat/meal when I do
    2) Try to eat cleaner - fresh fish, fruits and veggies
    3) Pump up the cardio 5-6x per week. Strength training at the gym.
    4) Planks and ab workouts!
    5) DO NOT GIVE UP

Thanks for all the useful information & links! Feel free to add me.

Thanks hun! You can't see my still prominent belly in those pictures very much, but since then I've lost quite a bit of my own belly fat. I can see the light outline of abs in there lol...though I still have a good number of inches to lose...and LOVE HANDLES...uggh!

On the diet, don't cut out the chicken and lean red meat!! Unless it's a personal choice of course.

Now...exercising. Feel free to ditch the long hours of steady state cardio...and replace it with circuit workouts with lighter weights. This will 100% surpass your steady state cardio sessions as far as results are concerned. If you absolutely must use the treadmill or bikes, use them interval style...meaning max effort for a short period, then coasting and/or walking for a shorter period...then back to max effort, rinse and repeat. I love the tabata interval sessions, 20 seconds max effort, 10 seconds rest, repeated 8x.

Take a look here:

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

You have to remember that the purpose of exercise isn't really to burn a given amount of calories. The purpose is to manipulate your metabolism into burning more calories (preferably from fat) over a long period...meaning not just when exercising. Done properly, intervals induce hormone production that keeps your body burning fat for as much as 24hrs after you've exercised. Definitely a win win =D.

Cris
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    bump for later as well :)
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Thats my problem area too. I have been doing weights and Cardio intervals. I've even cut my diet And been eating healthy. I'm curious to see what people suggest.