Simple but Complicated

sapplebana
sapplebana Posts: 14 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
A few interesting questions. I know I always ask interesting bs on the forums here lol but it's just the way I think. Thanks in advance to all who can be bothered helping!

I'll start off bad and finish on a good note ;)

1. I've noticed since 2013 I've only lost weight on a holiday (when I don't have a fridge at home and when I walk around and keep myself busy on holiday), however I've tried over 20 times to lose weight at home and gain at least 0.5kg each time I fail (and that collectively adds up). People say calling it a diet is bad or saying you want to lose weight means you're going to fail because you think about it too much, but I don't get it? I WANT to lose weight? Of course I'm going to think about it, of course it's a diet, lifestyle, whatever. So is there any help with this? I can't lose weight unless I'm not at home. (General query no specific question). Does this happen to others? Trying to lose a small amount and end up gaining every time you fail and end up + 5kg after 6 months.

2. I need help with calorie counting here on MFP. I don't cook every meal myself at home, I can't ask every member that makes something to count all the ingredients they make and write them down just so I can eat around 2 spoon fulls to try and write the calories. I can't go to every friends or family's house and bring a scale to weigh things, etc, etc. How do you count calories, the world doesn't care for people who count calories and making them care will never happen. Does everybody bring a food scale to every place they go to? (legitimate question).

3. How do you stay motivated to lose weight? I go to sleep dying and stomach completely empty (reached my calorie goals and calculated 99% CORRECTLY). I go 2 days fine and then start losing energy, playing worse in sports because I don't have the food but can't eat more because my calorie count will exceed it's limit (Already losing a very small amount per week). I guess I just have to push myself every single day right, 3 months of pain every day is it the same for everyone else? Because it's a mental and physically tough challenge.

4. I don't understand why people tell me some skinny guys have an increased metabolism and can burn and lose weight whereas some others can't and will struggle. I always used to think that two 180cm, 85kg men with the EXACT same lifestyle, muscle, variables, etc would have different metabolic rates genetically? One guy's genes don't allow him to lose weight easily while the other struggles to gain weight. But it seems everybody on earth is EXACTLY the same based on these calorie counters. Can it be I struggle because I just genetically cannot lose weight no matter how big my calorie deficit is? (I lost 6kg five years ago unintentionally just by changing lifestyle and diet and was like WOW I lost weight haha, but feel like I've reached a genetic plateau now).

5. I have an interesting question, if you were stuck on an island with an unlimited supply of drinking water but had to pick one type of food to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be? Is there a food out there that has a good supply of all nutrients, vitamins, etc and contains a good balance of carbs, protein, fats, etc? I just asked myself this the other day while I was in the shower lol and can't find an answer.

Long questions, but don't require long answers. Feel free to answer any of the five you don't have to answer all. This post is a little bit of frustration into my keyboard (broke 4 so far by the end of typing this), so hopefully I just get a little bit easy discussing this with others).

Thanks again.

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member

sapplebana wrote: »
    2. I need help with calorie counting here on MFP. I don't cook every meal myself at home, I can't ask every member that makes something to count all the ingredients they make and write them down just so I can eat around 2 spoon fulls to try and write the calories. I can't go to every friends or family's house and bring a scale to weigh things, etc, etc. How do you count calories, the world doesn't care for people who count calories and making them care will never happen. Does everybody bring a food scale to every place they go to? (legitimate question).

Taking a food scale with you anywhere would be just weird.
    4. How do you stay motivated to lose weight? I go to sleep dying and stomach completely empty (reached my calorie goals and calculated 99% CORRECTLY). I go 2 days fine and then start losing energy, playing worse in sports because I don't have the food but can't eat more because my calorie count will exceed it's limit (Already losing a very small amount per week). I guess I just have to push myself every single day right, 3 months of pain every day is it the same for everyone else? Because it's a mental and physically tough challenge.)

Motivation comes from within and what works for one may mean nothing to someone else. There are two things that keep me motivated. The first one is that a group of work colleagues decided we needed to lose some weight. Someone commented that I would be the weak link of the group. Six months later I am down over 30 pounds, they have not lost anything and I am the only one still going at it. The second thing is that I kind of consider this a science experiment and I think that's really cool.

All that being said how can you say you are counting your calories to 99% accuracy given the question #2? Everyone thinks they are very accurate with their counting, very few are, and 47.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    1. I do not mind straight up calling it a diet. When people are on their fourth or fifth "lifestyle change", what wil they call it then? A lot of us are eating fewer calories than we'd rather eat if there were no consequences whatsoever. Just because the term is somewhat bastardized, I personally see no reason to not use the word "diet", especially during an active attempt at weight loss, if that's what you mean

Weight loss - depends on if I'm able to consistently maintain a deficit. The numbers do show it. MFP app has a tool to show weekly net calories bar graph, so even though some days you're over and other days under, it can show you if you've been successful for the week due to your calorie consumption and exercise

2. I do not take a scale to other people's houses. But the more you measure at home, the better you get at estimating. Another strategy is to limit things you do consume outside your home. It's not for everyone, but for me it can be an easy way to control my calories and avoid temptation. You buy a sensible main course or not so sensible, but then I'm also tempted to buy extra stuff. If I bring a home cooked meal or wait to eat one, I'm more likely to eat what was planned and know how many calories are in it.

3. I tend to eat something if I'm hungry. The challenge is to find many items that are of lower calories and you find filling and satisfying

5. DQ blizzards. *kitten* nutrition - I'm stranded on an island. I want all the Blizzards

You're breaking keyboards just typing a post? What??

All the BS (your word) aside: what are your stats? Height, weight, weight loss goal per week, how many calories are you consuming, what types of exercise and duration do you do?

Read this if you haven't already: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • sapplebana
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    4. How do you stay motivated to lose weight? I go to sleep dying and stomach completely empty (reached my calorie goals and calculated 99% CORRECTLY). I go 2 days fine and then start losing energy, playing worse in sports because I don't have the food but can't eat more because my calorie count will exceed it's limit (Already losing a very small amount per week). I guess I just have to push myself every single day right, 3 months of pain every day is it the same for everyone else? Because it's a mental and physically tough challenge.)

Motivation comes from within and what works for one may mean nothing to someone else. There are two things that keep me motivated. The first one is that a group of work colleagues decided we needed to lose some weight. Someone commented that I would be the weak link of the group. Six months later I am down over 30 pounds, they have not lost anything and I am the only one still going at it. The second thing is that I kind of consider this a science experiment and I think that's really cool.

All that being said how can you say you are counting your calories to 99% accuracy given the question #2? Everyone thinks they are very accurate with their counting, very few are, and 47.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Thanks for the reply!

If that's the case where did you get the fact that "everyone thinks they are very accurate with their counting" if 47.2% of stats are made up? ;) haha

No but seriously enough joking around, I know I might make a mistake here and there but definitely wouldn't be more than a 50 cal mistake at the maximum (Another estimate ;) )

Sometimes I'll refuse myself to eat cooked food because I can't accurately count the calories, electing instead to count every single bread crum, weigh the apple core after eating the apple, orange peels after eating the orange, etc etc.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    RE: calorie counting at home: help cook some meals. Or cook your meals or the family's meals altogether. Tada! Calorie information is known. Takes some work but can be done. Do you use the MFP recipe tool at all?
  • sapplebana
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    1. I do not mind straight up calling it a diet. When people are on their fourth or fifth "lifestyle change", what wil they call it then? A lot of us are eating fewer calories than we'd rather eat if there were no consequences whatsoever. Just because the term is somewhat bastardized, I personally see no reason to not use the word "diet", especially during an active attempt at weight loss, if that's what you mean

Weight loss - depends on if I'm able to consistently maintain a deficit. The numbers do show it. MFP app has a tool to show weekly net calories bar graph, so even though some days you're over and other days under, it can show you if you've been successful for the week due to your calorie consumption and exercise

2. I do not take a scale to other people's houses. But the more you measure at home, the better you get at estimating. Another strategy is to limit things you do consume outside your home. It's not for everyone, but for me it can be an easy way to control my calories and avoid temptation. You buy a sensible main course or not so sensible, but then I'm also tempted to buy extra stuff. If I bring a home cooked meal or wait to eat one, I'm more likely to eat what was planned and know how many calories are in it.

3. I tend to eat something if I'm hungry. The challenge is to find many items that are of lower calories and you find filling and satisfying

5. DQ blizzards. *kitten* nutrition - I'm stranded on an island. I want all the Blizzards

All the BS (your word) aside: what are your stats? Height, weight, weight loss goal per week, how many calories are you consuming, what types of exercise and duration do you do?

Read this if you haven't already: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

help cook some meals. Or cook your meals or the family's meals altogether. Tada! Calorie information is known. Takes some work but can be done. Do you use the MFP recipe tool at all?

I won't share my stats but thanks for the reply. Don't we all love ice cream haha

I definitely try to help where I can but of course being busy with work, studies, training and sports sometimes I only cook small meals for myself if I'm home alone after a morning training session.

Thanks for the advice!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Ah. So basically a post to whine about not being able to lose weight, whereas you do not want any actual weight loss help

Carry on
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    1. My diet is very intentional and I think it about quite often as I plan out my day and week. Not thinking about my food intake is how I got fat to begin with.
    2. Estimate as best you can. I don't bring a scale everywhere. But I think I've improved my ability to estimate portion sizes over time.
    3. Going to bed hungry every night is not a sustainable program. You could try eating more filling and satisfying food. That might more volume its low calorie food, or it might mean more satiety with protein or fat. If I don't get a certain amount of protein and fat for breakfast, I'm hungry by 9am and then my day is shot.
    4. The calorie estimators use population averages. They are mostly correct for most people. Some are going to be more or less and will have to adjust. Every individual needs to assess their results and adjust the estimates accordingly.
    5. Pizza. Thin crust with spicy sauce, onion, mushroom, bell pepper, pepperoni and Canadian bacon. Not too much cheese.

So you've noticed that you only lose weight when you travel. When you try to lose weight at home, it doesn't work. When not traveling, you eat away from home some amount of time.

Calorie deficits work for everyone. Even for people with medical conditions which affect part of the process, a calorie deficit is still required to lose weight. So if you aren't losing weight you aren't in a calorie deficit.

What are your stats? How much is your deficit? All the questions @JaneiR36 asked.
    - I see you say you don't want to give your stats. That makes it hard to give specific help.
    You've said that you measure everything at home. Are you using a digital or analog scale?
    Are you checking the MFP entries to make sure they are accurate? Many are not.
    Are you being honest with yourself about extra little bites, or quick grabs from the fridge? And beverages like soda and alcohol?
  • sapplebana
    edited July 2015
    Ah. So basically a post to whine about not being able to lose weight, whereas you do not want any actual weight loss help

Carry on

Of course I'm whining about not being able to lose weight, but that's my own fault and nobody else's.

I just asked questions above and want opinions/answers to what I asked. I know why I'm not losing weight, but my questions were implied to make things a little easier for myself.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I'm just going to give my 2 cents on question #2:
    When you are away from home and don't know what to eat, pick the fresh veggies and fruit, salad with vinegar-based dressing or use salsa(if available), avoid "creamy" looking dishes and choose plainer lean cuts of meat when possible. You don't have to stuff yourself, eat slowly and enjoy. Don't take a food scale. Drink plenty of water to help you stay hydrated and feel full. Some even recommend taking extra fiber before going out.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    1. It sounds like you are grazing. Try removing the foods you graze on and adding better ones. Or put a food log on the door of your fridge and pantry so you have to record everytime you right something down. It will make you more aware of what you eat.

You just need to commit. You'll do it when you are ready. Changing a WOE is hard so you have to want it. I am about 30lbs heavier than I want to be. That wasn't enough for me to give up the foods I wanted and feel the discomfort of reducing or going without those foods, as well as the physical feelings of withdrawing those foods. Add in prediabetes and arthritis, and THAT made me ready to do it.

You either want it enough to do it or you don't. Unfortunately.

3. Just eat the foods that are recognisable or bring your own. It feels wierd at first but people get used to it, and so do you. (I've been doing this for years as a celiac.)

3. The first few weeks are mentally and physically harder. It's tough to break habits and your body may be fighting some of the food changes. Remind yourself that it is hard at first but that you can get through it. Perhaps try to ease into it, and then when you are ready, make a larger dietary leap.

4. I believe that your wight is 80% diet, 10% genetics and 10% your fitness level. It mostly comes down to what you eat. You can lose weight, you do it on vacations, so you know it is about what you are doing rather than who you were born to be.

Also, I've lost 40lbs while living with an underactive thyroid which slowed my metabolism (possibly by up to 15%). It makes it harder to lose if your metabolism is slower, but very few people actually have a slow meatbolism. Poeple who are overweight generally burn more in day than slim people too.... I do wish I could use the slow metabolism card though. ;)

5. So I could live? Umm, grass fed bison. For fun? chocolate covered nuts and pop.

Good luck with it!
  • MelodyandBarbells

Carry on

Of course I'm whining about not being able to lose weight, but that's my own fault and nobody else's.

I just asked questions above and want opinions/answers to what I asked. I know why I'm not losing weight, but my questions were implied to make things a little easier for myself.

You could be making it harder on yourself by selecting settings that are inappropriate to your goals. This is the "General diet and weight loss" sub forum. If you do not want actual help with your situation, consider stating that up front since a lot of us do assume that posters legitimately want help that the poster hadn't necessarily considered

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member

help cook some meals. Or cook your meals or the family's meals altogether. Tada! Calorie information is known. Takes some work but can be done. Do you use the MFP recipe tool at all?

I won't share my stats but thanks for the reply. Don't we all love ice cream haha

I stopped taking you seriously when I read this. You will lose weight when you seriously want to. Until then continue being overweight and enjoy your pity party. Not wanting to share your height, weight, goals or other required stats to answer your questions seriously is rediculous. My advise to you would simply be to just get serious about losing weight or just stay fat and stop complain about it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    Welcome, @sapplebana.

By your postings, I can tell you are making things much more difficult than they need to be. It sounds to me like you are analyzing weight loss to death. :) Keep it simple by just paying attention to calorie intake. When at home, weigh your food and log everything you eat. While out, guesstimate using the database but take smaller portions than you normally would. From there it's all trial and error based on how fast/slow you do or do not lose weight.

You have to really want it, otherwise you will make weight loss more difficult than it really needs to be.

When you really want it, you stop analyzing and use weight loss tools to get to your goal. :)
  • sapplebana
    Wow I didn't think people would turn on me and ridicule for a few questions... Where are the smiles for some people? I'm obviously not pissed off I've taken quite a humorous approach (or at least tried to be positive and joyful rather than depressed like most others are).
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Lots of talking about/thinking about/planning/asking questions is entertaining and even seductive, because all of that makes us feel 'busy' with our hopes and plans. There comes a time when you simply have to take action. If you know why you're not losing weight, nobody but you can help you get started with the 'take action' part.

Because a few hours on the computer for one night means I'm not doing anything... Seriously? I spend every minute of the day trying and focusing on not eating too much, etc, etc.

Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I stopped taking you seriously when I read this. You will lose weight when you seriously want to. Until then continue being overweight and enjoy your pity party. Not wanting to share your height, weight, goals or other required stats to answer your questions seriously is rediculous. My advise to you would simply be to just get serious about losing weight or just stay fat and stop complain about it.

I didn't ask to provide stats, I asked questions which some have constructively answered and thanks to those who have.

And who said I was fat? I'm quite fit actually, spend 4 hours a day training but I can't control my diet. I need to lose around 5kg for sport.

My questions are there, if you're arrogant enough to ridicule me then go ahead. I really am not offended, just surprised haha
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    What they all said

Stop eating more calories than you burn

And stop majoring in the minors, it's just an excuse not to do something about being overweight
  • sapplebana
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Welcome, @sapplebana.

By your postings, I can tell you are making things much more difficult than they need to be. It sounds to me like you are analyzing weight loss to death. :) Keep it simple by just paying attention to calorie intake. When at home, weigh your food and log everything you eat. While out, guesstimate using the database but take smaller portions than you normally would. From there it's all trial and error based on how fast/slow you do or do not lose weight.

You have to really want it, otherwise you will make weight loss more difficult than it really needs to me.

When you really want it, you stop analyzing and use weight loss tools to get to your goal. :)

This. :)

Thanks, I definitely know it's a mental game and I make it way too difficult for myself.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Wow I didn't think people would turn on me and ridicule for a few questions... Where are the smiles for some people? I'm obviously not pissed off I've taken quite a humorous approach (or at least tried to be positive and joyful rather than depressed like most others are).
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Lots of talking about/thinking about/planning/asking questions is entertaining and even seductive, because all of that makes us feel 'busy' with our hopes and plans. There comes a time when you simply have to take action. If you know why you're not losing weight, nobody but you can help you get started with the 'take action' part.

Because a few hours on the computer for one night means I'm not doing anything... Seriously? I spend every minute of the day trying and focusing on not eating too much, etc, etc.

Still doing it wrong. But hey, knowing what we would eat on a deserted island will fix that
    Bshmerlie wrote: »

I didn't ask to provide stats, I asked questions which some have constructively answered and thanks to those who have.

And who said I was fat? I'm quite fit actually, spend 4 hours a day training but I can't control my diet. I need to lose around 5kg for sport.

My questions are there, if you're arrogant enough to ridicule me then go ahead. I really am not offended, just surprised haha

...And if you provided the stats we would know that

There literally is a chit chat Sub forum. If you just want to relax and shoot the *kitten* with a tangential approach to weight loss you can post there. Or like I said, now that you know stats are generally requested, you can just be up front next time about not being interested in providing them, or otherwise delving in your specific scenario
  • sapplebana
    I'm sorry I offended the community.

I asked questions, I don't want answers to questions I never asked. I've spoken with numerous people privately about my stats and what to do with them. Now I'm seeking answers to questions while adding in something fun that was on my mind as the final Q.

Once again I'm sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section, offended anybody, wasted anybody's time, slandered anybody and if I was derogatory. I asked questions and I apologise.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I don't always cook my meals, but I do probably 90% of the time. What helps for me is weighing, portioning, and freezing several meals that I like so that I'm prepared for days when I prefer not to eat what the family is eating.
    Sometimes simple tweaks help - I'll make a pot of veggie-rich turkey chili and my husband may eat it on a hot dog, my daughter will eat it on nachos, and I'll eat it as is. Or I make lean meat/veggie burgers and they'll eat them on bread while I choose a lettuce wrapped burger. Some vegetables I roast and only my daughter and I can eat them, while my husband chooses something else (IBS triggers). Just a few small examples of tweaks we can make to all eat what we need.