Skin issues?

Options
elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
For the longest time I have had Keratosis Pilaris (I believe that is what it is called-pimple looking like bumps that do not pop) on my upper arms and get scattered on legs/back. I never really did much about it because I always wore loose fitting clothing/t-shirts that covered entire arms while I was really heavy. However, now that I've lost a lot of weight and want to start buying some nicer, revealing clothes, it has been bothering me. I went to my PCP and all she said was exfoliate and gave me a referral to a dermatologist. Unfortunately, my health insurance sucks in regards to coverage, so I would be paying out of pocket to go, which is just not an option right now. I was curious if anyone else had this and if so, was there anything you did to reduce the ugly appearance?

Eta: I can't use any products with oat or wheat Germ oil in them.

Replies

• Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use Gold Bond Rough and Bumpy on my arm and it has made a difference. It takes about a month before you start to see it. I know Paula's Choice also have a solution product too.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I got some on my arms a few months ago, and used medicated apricot scrub (St. Ives makes one, but I bought the generic.) It worked for me...just google "medicated apricot scrub"
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    You can try a good omega 3 supplement, 1500mg omega 3 every day (everyone should do this anyways). Also, a vitamin D3 supplement, start at 5000iu and get your blood tested after a few months. Staying hydrated might help too.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't have this particular skin condition, but I've had my fair share of other skin problems. The best exfoliant I've ever used is sugar. Lather up and dump some raw sugar in your hands and go at it. It's cheap, it works and won't clog your drains like apricot scrub or something similar. Next, I'd try different lotions. Lotions high in lactic acid might help. Also, you might want to consider making your own lotion with coconut oil and an essential oil (high quality like Young Living). Research the different oils. Tea tree oil is the most popular. Hell, they even sell it at Walmart now. Anyway, research essential oils. Some of those might help you. I'm sure there are tons of home remedies you could try. Google it.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Exfoliating thoroughly and moisturizing well improved mine no end.
  • mtizi
    mtizi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest coconut oil too.
  • kittywrangler
    kittywrangler Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how old you are, but mine was pretty bad as a kid/teenager/young adult and has improved since hitting my thirties. I also take Omega 3's, drink water and use Pears soap. I think moisturizing a lot improves the look of it as well.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Amlactin is supposed to be great for KP! http://www.amazon.com/AmLactin-12-Moisturizing-Lotion/dp/B000TTPZQ6 You can probably find it cheaper at a pharmacy or store near you.
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Amlactin is what was recommended to me by my dermatologist. You can get a big bottle from Costco. I find that my KP has lessened over the years without using the Amlactin. Not sure if it was from losing weight or what. But I do know that Amlactin was recommended.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't have this but have to say that this http://www.amazon.com/Burts-Bees-Cranberry-Pomegranate-Sugar/dp/B003VUMMLQ. Is the best exfoliator I've ever used (I use it on my face, neck and décolletage and elbows) ...leaves your skin so much softer
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Ohwhynot wrote: »
    Amlactin is supposed to be great for KP! http://www.amazon.com/AmLactin-12-Moisturizing-Lotion/dp/B000TTPZQ6 You can probably find it cheaper at a pharmacy or store near you.

Yes! This stuff can make a big difference. I have an ex who had really bad skin problems on his back and this is the only thing that seemed to fix it.

Costco has a good price on it. I've also seen it at Target.

I had a fairly mild case of kp on my upper arms in my 20s...more exfoliation (with homemade salt scrubs) seems to have solved the problem.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I will certainly look into them. How long did it take for the suggestion to show progress?

Sorry for such a late reply, I feel a bit rude that I waited so long to respond.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Losing weight made the KP on my arms completely disappear, now there's just a little left on the backs of my thigs. I found the more often I shave my legs, the less KP-issues I get. I think shaving helps with the exfoliating process, and my skin's stayed pretty clear. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Agree with the sugar for exfoliating and coconut oil for moisturizing.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Losing weight made the KP on my arms completely disappear, now there's just a little left on the backs of my thigs. I found the more often I shave my legs, the less KP-issues I get. I think shaving helps with the exfoliating process, and my skin's stayed pretty clear. :)

That's awesome news!!! I hope mine goes away with weight loss as well.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Oh, I also found that getting out in the sun helps it clear up as well! If you can spend any time outside (with sunscreen on, of course), I'm sure you're going to notice a big difference!
  • elphie754
    Options
    Oh, I also found that getting out in the sun helps it clear up as well! If you can spend any time outside (with sunscreen on, of course), I'm sure you're going to notice a big difference!

I work nights, so get very minimal sun, so my PCP has me taking vit-d supplement.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    A lotion with some salicylic acid should help gently exfoliate, and moisturizing helps too.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I forgot to say this. If you ca get a tan it definitely helps.

As to how long it takes - I used one of those shower puff things and an exfoliating body wash, then moisturised with baby oil. I saw an improvement within a couple of weeks - it took a few months for it not to bother me anymore. Another month for me to be completely happy with the results.

It's never really come back - but I think in part because I know what to do now - so at the first sign I start scrubbing away :)
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Salicylic acid helps - it's often found in cheap/harsh toners (like the ones from the supermarket, Clean & Clear etc). I have it on my arms too - I exfoliate and moisturize, as well as use a toner on it. The toner has made a big difference and it only cost a few dollars. (Side note, salicylic acid also helps with ingrown hairs!)