Do you log cooking and cleaning...

Options

Replies

• alliebug42560
    alliebug42560 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do. I log heavy cleaning because I work up a sweat and I also log gardening.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you would do that. I just cleaned my bathroom. Even if for some magical reason I burned 200 calories-your TDEE is just an estimate and it fluctuates. Perhaps I was less active than normal on another day during the week.
  • rubyandmani
    rubyandmani Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I never thought you can burn while cooking...anyway I put sedentary lifestyle and I dont do any exercise whatsoever but in general I m working alot in my house and its quite big house. I clean, cook, wash etc for 3 other people. this house was quite a run down so it needs working all the time, that includes heavy cleaning, paiting scrubbing. work in garden etc
    but I never include thrm as an exercise. as I don't do them for exercise
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I don't log cooking or cleaning. The only time I've logged 'cleaning' is when we were moving and I was hauling boxes, scrubbing everything, etc. Even then I only logged about half the time, if that.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Nope. I only log exercise done just to do it. It's my way of keeping track of when I've gone out of my way to exercise.

Some people log every move they make, just to see how many calories they're using and compare it to what they're burning. Someone on my FL used to track her sleep as exercise.

It's up to you. Your diary, your rules. :)
  • WyshIKnew
    WyshIKnew Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I personally don't log general house cleaning or a little light gardening. However, if I make an extra special effort and really turn a room or two upside down to clean them or do a fairly prolonged strenuous stint of gardening then I will usually log something down. I tend to estimate my time for doing anything like that lower than the actual time spent to be on the safe side.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    no
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ooohh I did log cleaning the other day simply because there was a bit of moving around/breaking a little bit of a sweat, so I just sorta assumed I should. I guess from now I won't log and just count it as a bonus. :p
  • Dex37
    Dex37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No. How many calories do you think you burn cleaning?
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Nope. My fitbit links to myfitnesspal, so if I do a lot of walking as part of cleaning that shows up. Otherwise, nah.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Im a housekeeper. I clean 6 days out of the week and my activity level is set for sedetary. I don't not log 99% of the time.
    The only time I do is when I go to a BAD clean out. As in scrubbing on my hands and knees. Scrubbing ovens and fridges. And I only log half of the time. You do burn quiet a bit of calories truly cleaning, not the maintaining cleaning that most do.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Rottified wrote: »
    Im a housekeeper. I clean 6 days out of the week and my activity level is set for sedetary. I don't not log 99% of the time.
    The only time I do is when I go to a BAD clean out. As in scrubbing on my hands and knees. Scrubbing ovens and fridges. And I only log half of the time. You do burn quiet a bit of calories truly cleaning, not the maintaining cleaning that most do.

Why don't you just set yourself to lightly active?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    No I don't log it. If I heavy clean, I figure that's just bonus calories. I only log purposeful exercise.

I also use a different site to calculate my burns, it tends to give less inflated numbers, and it can give a net burn rather than a gross burn.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think if the cooking and cleaning activity level is an excursion above baseline (and since you do more of it on weekends it sounds like it is), then you should log it.

I don't log mine because I do those daily as part of my baseline of activity, and have my activity level set 1 notch higher than yours.

I do log things like mowing the lawn, that are a weekly, not daily activity. If it is something you do daily and rarely changes in duration or intensity, then probably better to toss it into your baseline.

If I was going to spend a weekend re-organizing a closet, I might go ahead and wear a heart rate monitor and log the result, because that's not something I normally do and it might involve heavy lifting etc.

PS: if you are using an activity monitor that gives you a total daily calorie count then you could use that as your guide. I know this is an option with Polar products, not sure about other fitness monitor types. I don't know much about using MFP this way but if you check the forums for people using Polar products you can probably learn about this option, see if it would work better for you than the usual MFP estimates.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    So, if you get up, eat breakfast, drive to work, sit at your desk all day, go to the gym and run on the treadmill for 30 minutes, get in your car, come home, eat, and go to sleep, you feel good about logging your calories burned, even though you did nothing else all day. Wouldn't those calories just be built in too? Isn't that double dipping? Just asking.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I don't but I did up my base calories by 75 a day once I entered maintenance as I continued to lose. However, if I were to move into a new house or paint a room where it's a short term but physically intensive project, I would consider logging it. Anything else that's routine activity I would just monitor how you're losing and up your daily activity estimate if needed.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    dwalt15110 wrote: »
    So, if you get up, eat breakfast, drive to work, sit at your desk all day, go to the gym and run on the treadmill for 30 minutes, get in your car, come home, eat, and go to sleep, you feel good about logging your calories burned, even though you did nothing else all day. Wouldn't those calories just be built in too? Isn't that double dipping? Just asking.

Not if you are set on sedentary, right?
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Rottified wrote: »

Why don't you just set yourself to lightly active?

I broke my foot last year and wasn't allowed to do anything. And I just never saw the need to change it. I'm not hungry or anything. Idk I may change it later.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I don't. But you could. But I wouldn't recommend eating extra to compensate... That sounds like a slippery slope to me.
  • igottalose50
    igottalose50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i do,but only on sundays when i deep clean my house do laundry..not regular house work days...