Weight Loss Question

Options
Hello,

I'm currently in what many would call a "weight plateau". About a year ago, I weight about 196 lbs. Today, I'm 147 lbs. I've been ranging between 145-155 lbs. in the past few months. I know what I did to lose that weight (significantly less calories, drinking green tea, and walking for about 1-2 hours a day), and it seems to not work as well as it used to (for obvious reasons). About 3 days ago, I started working out a gym (using a treadmill at 3.5mph pace and an incline of 2 (?, whatever that means) and trying out classes (wake up workout, zumba, yoga, pilates) that they offer.

I am 5' 2", and I want to get to about 130-135 lbs range. Do you have any helpful tips to help me lose the extra weight?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    There aren't really any tips to lose weight. Eat in a caloric deficit and it will happen. That's all.

And green tea does nothing.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale?

Are you logging accurately? (see thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1)
  • PMTpower
    PMTpower Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I really suggest trying to build more muscle.... So classes that elevate your core strength like TRX, barre and power yoga.... That way muscle = more metabolic tissue. Also I have significantly decrease my grain and dairy intake. So I feast on all the veggies I want and eat a moderate amount of meat.... And use nut dairy instead. I am so close 9 lbs away from goal AND 20 weeks post baby body.
  • MsSecondGuesser
    MsSecondGuesser Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lol, I've been using it a lot since I started (2-4x a day). I'm not sure what effect it gave for my weight loss, but I don't know if I'd be ready to give it up.

To add to the above post: I plan on working out 6x/week about 2 (or 2 and a half) hours a day. I'm also really self conscious about extra belly fat hanging around - are there any ab exercise that you guys know of that works and is doable (my stomach area ached after doing pilates - so there are still muscles under there (ha!).
  • PMTpower
    PMTpower Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also intermittently fast for about 24-36 hours a week. That's should kickstart your weight loss
  • MsSecondGuesser
    Options
    I stared using the myfitnesspal (again) today! So hopefully I'll remember to log my food intake as much as I can.
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Lots of things go into what someone weighs As you have dropped fat you may have also built muscle. What other bench marks are you using? How do you feel? When you walked 1-2 hours a day how much more ground did you cover then when you started? And last What clothing size are you. Inches off your waist mean more then what the scale says.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm currently in what many would call a "weight plateau". About a year ago, I weight about 196 lbs. Today, I'm 147 lbs. I've been ranging between 145-155 lbs. in the past few months. I know what I did to lose that weight (significantly less calories, drinking green tea, and walking for about 1-2 hours a day), and it seems to not work as well as it used to (for obvious reasons). About 3 days ago, I started working out a gym (using a treadmill at 3.5mph pace and an incline of 2 (?, whatever that means) and trying out classes (wake up workout, zumba, yoga, pilates) that they offer.

I am 5' 2", and I want to get to about 130-135 lbs range. Do you have any helpful tips to help me lose the extra weight?

What are the obvious reasons?

As you lose weight your deficit gets smaller. If you stay at the same calorie level you will lose at a slower rate. It sounds as if you are eating at or close to the maintenance level of your current weight.

Solution would be...either eat less or move more or a combination of the two.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Lol, I've been using it a lot since I started (2-4x a day). I'm not sure what effect it gave for my weight loss, but I don't know if I'd be ready to give it up.

To add to the above post: I plan on working out 6x/week about 2 (or 2 and a half) hours a day. I'm also really self conscious about extra belly fat hanging around - are there any ab exercise that you guys know of that works and is doable (my stomach area ached after doing pilates - so there are still muscles under there (ha!).

Read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Two hours a day of exercise everyday sounds a bit excessive to me. Not to be discouraging, but you may be setting yourself up for a burn out, or just inadequate recovery time in between sessions. Since you're trying to lose weight I imagine you would be eating at a deficit, so you may or may not consume enough to properly fuel these workouts (unless we're just talking gentle walks). Just be careful!
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    PMTpower wrote: »
    I also intermittently fast for about 24-36 hours a week. That's should kickstart your weight loss

I wouldn't recommend fasting unless recommended by your doctor. It's not good to starve your body for that long as you're missing out on macro and micronutrients.

• MsSecondGuesser
    Options
    Many of you might start saying how unhealthy it was to have lost the weight that I started with, and I would agree. I lost about 35 lbs in 2 months by just significantly decreasing how much calories I took in - so there are some extra skin from the weight loss that I plan on toning up.

The obvious reasons for me would be: there is less fat to lose, hence previous weight loss practices that I did won't be as effective.

As for sizes:
    My pants are now size 8, when they used to be 14.
    My shirt sizes are now a M, when they used to be XL or 1X.
    (USA sizes)

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I stared using the myfitnesspal (again) today! So hopefully I'll remember to log my food intake as much as I can.

So you haven't been tracking? This could be one of the obvious reasons you spoke of.

There are ways of losing weight without tracking. However...while you might think that it is easier than tracking...it isn't necessarily...you have to be really good at estimations. I stopped weighing everything for a while...I actually ended up not eating enough. So I went back to tracking for a while.

• MsSecondGuesser
    Options
    PMTpower wrote: »

I wouldn't recommend fasting unless recommended by your doctor. It's not good to starve your body for that long as you're missing out on macro and micronutrients.

I agree with this. I do go to a nursing school, and I've learned that fasting and not eating enough calories can cause the belly to blow up (not literally, but the decrease in needed nutrients can cause a lot of bloating -> which will not help the self-esteem/how the belly look when trying to lose weight).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You can't "tone" skin

You have to give it time ...up to 2 years to spring back as much as possible

You should lift heavy and progressively to preserve what LBM you have

And eat at a defecit for your current weight

D not try to log, log everything..by weight
  • MsSecondGuesser
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Two hours a day of exercise everyday sounds a bit excessive to me. Not to be discouraging, but you may be setting yourself up for a burn out, or just inadequate recovery time in between sessions. Since you're trying to lose weight I imagine you would be eating at a deficit, so you may or may not consume enough to properly fuel these workouts (unless we're just talking gentle walks). Just be careful!

To be honest, I feel like the treadmill pace is okay. I don't think it's pretty excessive? 2 miles in about 40 minutes is not too bad - it's enough to get my cardio up. As for the classes, many of the members are older folks (I live in a community where most of the population are the elderly), so most of the exercises aren't too excessive that they wouldn't be able to keep up.
  • MsSecondGuesser
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

So you haven't been tracking? This could be one of the obvious reasons you spoke of.

There are ways of losing weight without tracking. However...while you might think that it is easier than tracking...it isn't necessarily...you have to be really good at estimations. I stopped weighing everything for a while...I actually ended up not eating enough. So I went back to tracking for a while.

I haven't been excessively focused on losing weight during the school months - after all of the papers, clinical, and tests every other day, there haven't been a lot of time to really work out. Now that it's summer, I feel more inclined to lose the extra weight.

And I might have said the toning skin wrong. Yes, it would take time, as the body adjusts?