Looking for a I quit sugar pal

Options
Hi Everyone! I have been trying to shed these five kilos that I don´t want/need for almost two years...I have tried loads of differents diets and nothing seems to work or maybe I am not patience enough.....I have tried diets that I have seen online...from dietians....The other day diet (Impossible to eat just 500kcal per day) 5:2...Atkins...all seems to fail....I mean I can go on them for two weeks but after that I fall...and I feel really really miserable like a failure...:(

My friends never take me seriously and it´s difficult to go cold turkey I think....anyway...I have read Sarah Wilson´s (I QUIT SUGAR book) and it is quite interesting....I have read it a couple of times and I have been trying to quit sugar for three weeks now...first two weeks went fine...the third one...has been a disaster! I have been eating sugar like three times...when I mean sugar I mean stuff like cupcakes...cakes...chocolate...and I feel like I need support...I need motivation! I feel like this is working very well for me...I feel like my body is changing little by little... anyone already doing this I quit sugar programme or any other diet and have loads of motivation?

Please do let me know!

Replies

• Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to quit sugar, not for good anyway. A hiatus might be beneficial if you have control issues like I do. I cannot have chocolate or anything like cakes and cookies in the house because I will eat all of it regardless of the calories. I do however have animal crackers. They're not too high in calories or sugar, so it satisfies my sweets cravings.

More than likely, all of the sweets you were eating pushed your calories way up there. Plan and track, stay within your goals and you can eat what you want and lose weight.
  • PatriciaGentileschi
    PatriciaGentileschi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am like you TweetEscape...If there is cake/chocolate or sweets in my house...I am lost...I can eat all of them the same night...the trouble is that afterwards I have this terrible feeling and I feel very very miserable...it´s horrible! I feel like I need support and ways to motivates myself...what keeps you motivate?
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm not going to lie, it has taken me years of starting and stopping before I finally just had a moment where I realized that I needed to change. I stepped on the scale and was at my highest at 280 pounds. I slowly began changing the way I eat, firstly removing all of the sugary food out of the house, then working on portion control by buying a food scale. I got down to 264 before I started here just a few days ago.

I bet you felt awful after eating all of that sugar, that's a lot of sugar, and then the shame of eating it. I've felt that many times. Remember that feeling!! Use it to deter you from doing it again. Find things to distract yourself when you're craving sweets, or really anything. Find something sweet that you have control over and have a little each day so you're not totally removing sugar. Depriving yourself is not going to be beneficial, it will only make it seem more difficult.

I just think about the progress, and know that I don't want to go back to 280 pounds. I have a blog post, How to Rise Above the Chaos. It's short, but it could be helpful.

You can add me if you want. I'm on multiple times a day.

Edit... The sugary foods are gone for now. I will never give up my sweets. I just need to be in a better place mentally before I bring them back into my diet.
  • aidensanma
    aidensanma Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 8 week programme online , I'm in the second week of IQS and loving it , food is amazing , recipes easy to follow , feel full all the time and not craving sugar. I'm finding it easier than I thought :)
  • mmckie618
    mmckie618 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 1...I am a type 1 diabetic (for the last 3 years) with a severe sweet tooth! i was doing well for about a year and the last few months I've been eating terribly! I bought the "I wuit sugar" book yesterday! The only thing in week 1 of the program I don't do already is to try her 3 recipes. I'm going to cutout diet drinks too.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If a lot of drastic diets haven't worked for you in the past, chances are that yet another drastic diet isn't going to work now, either.

Why don't you just weigh your food, log it in the diary and try to hit your calorie goal every day?
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    If a lot of drastic diets haven't worked for you in the past, chances are that yet another drastic diet isn't going to work now, either.

Why don't you just weigh your food, log it in the diary and try to hit your calorie goal every day?

^this.

OP, I don't think what you're doing is going to work. If you can't make it two weeks with no sugar, how do you plan to make the rest of your life without it? As soon as you add sugar back in (if you don't track you calories, I mean) you will gain the weight right back because you didn't change your eating habits permanently, just temporarily. Like kommodevaran said, the best thing to do is just follow your calorie goal whilst still having a bit of sugar to satisfy you and keep you sane.
    Eat now like you plan to eat for the rest of your life. Just less of it. Good luck :)
  • Foundsheepkatie
    Foundsheepkatie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've lost 28 pounds in 3.5 months by not cutting out anything totally but just tracking calories and exercising. I have a major sweet tooth and know if I cut it out totally I will just want it more. So, I let myself have a little bit and stay under my calories. So I get my fix but don't over do it. Feel free to add me. :)
  • mmckie618
    mmckie618 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm trying the quitting sugar diet because I have done it for years but need a reboot! Sugar is super addictive and just tracking calories is what I have been doing for years...off and on...you all could be a bit more positive and uplifting rather than tearing people down and telling them to count calories because you disagree with them trying an 8 week detox which by the way is actually helping you to not rely heavily on the sugar and helps to teach you how to eat better. You then apply the last 8 weeks to your lifestyle.