The one food that I refuse to weigh.

Options
DanniB423
DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
I am from VA.. Which is very close to MD which means my family eats blue crabs like its our job. The database says 3oz of large MD blue crab is 87 calories. Crabs vary in size and weight. I am such a food scale nazi but picking and eating crabs is such a social thing I seriously can't imagine sitting there picking them and weighing as a I go to eat it. I realize this could short me some food or put me a little over. I was just going to log each crab I pick as 87 calories and hope some were over and under. Does that sound good? Am I being neurotic? Lol. I'm already skipping the melted butter so weighing just seems unfair! Lol

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Are you out at a restaurant? I don't refuse to weigh anything unless I'm eating at a restaurant.

I don't really like opening a prepackaged single serving yogurt and weighing it, so I don't. But I don't really refuse to either.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Oh, absolutely...that would be such a pain! I'll do the same thing the next time I eat crawfish!
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've always wanted to do that -- never got the chance.

This is the USDA link -- note what they say about the weight of a cup of crab meat, flaked vs. not (but not packed). 98-112 calories per cup, cooked. Maybe the idea of a cup can help you estimate.

LINK HERE
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my eggs. :p
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    I don't weigh my eggs. :p

GASP
  • goaliesmate
    goaliesmate Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh lettuce.

Meat and fish is 2 to 3 oz for a piece the size of a pack of cards - I use that to guesstimate when weighing just is not practical.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Garlic. It just goes in. I log the # of cloves.

Hot dogs are reliable enough to not need a scale.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - I don't weigh:
    Bourbon, ice, swaii, lettuce, water, homemade egg drop soup (made with egg whites), green beans, many veggies, etc.
  • maytehsp0rksbewithy0u
    maytehsp0rksbewithy0u Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I live in SoMD and don't log crabs by weight either... that would be so tedious!

I also don't weigh bananas if I'm taking them with me as the weight of the peel doesn't count and I don't want to bring the peel home and weigh it to subtract from the whole weight.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my bread or cheese slices. Or anything pre packaged really.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to be really pedantic, you could weigh them whole before you eat, throw your shells and scraps in a bowl and then weigh that and subtract. But I'm sure you wouldn't eat enough, or often enough, of them to make a wild difference.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Red onions. I love them. They are in almost everything I cook. But unless I'm using the whole thing, I just throw it in. That's the rebel in me coming out lol.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    I am from VA.. Which is very close to MD which means my family eats blue crabs like its our job. The database says 3oz of large MD blue crab is 87 calories. Crabs vary in size and weight. I am such a food scale nazi but picking and eating crabs is such a social thing I seriously can't imagine sitting there picking them and weighing as a I go to eat it. I realize this could short me some food or put me a little over. I was just going to log each crab I pick as 87 calories and hope some were over and under. Does that sound good? Am I being neurotic? Lol. I'm already skipping the melted butter so weighing just seems unfair! Lol

You are doing just fine. You will exceed your lean protein goals for the week. I love crab! Perfect food, and I love the butter too! All natural, you GO girl!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Eggs are pretty much the only thing I don't weigh.
    But I don't blame you for not wanting to weigh each individual crab! I wouldn't either, and it's not like they are huge calorie bombs.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Are ya'll sitting down? I don't own a food scale. I never weigh my food and I lost my final 40lb using mfp in 5 months AND I've maintained for 18 months.

Disclaimers: both of my parents worked in the food service industry (dad taught and mom managed a school cafeteria) so I had great teachers about portion sizes and, more importantly, I knew as a recovered bulimic if I let myself weigh my food, things would go south in a hurry. I do realize it's better for most people to weigh foods, it's just not emotionally healthy for me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I imagined lobster when I saw the thread title! Not too far off lol

I refuse to weigh eggs too. And artichoke. And oysters and clams.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Are ya'll sitting down? I don't own a food scale. I never weigh my food and I lost my final 40lb using mfp in 5 months AND I've maintained for 18 months.

Disclaimers: both of my parents worked in the food service industry (dad taught and mom managed a school cafeteria) so I had great teachers about portion sizes and, more importantly, I knew as a recovered bulimic if I let myself weigh my food, things would go south in a hurry. I do realize it's better for most people to weigh foods, it's just not emotionally healthy for me.

People always feel like they must justify not weighing food, lol. It's okay. Lots of people in the world have and continue to lose weight without weighing food. It's not a requirement. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

It's worked well for you. If you're losing weight by not weighing your food then you are doing something right .
    The only time I recommend weighing your food is when responding to the million and one "I'm not losing weight" or " I've plateaued" threads.

Weighing every single thing you eat is certainly not a prerequisite for weight loss.

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh a lot of low calorie vegetables such as fresh spinach or bell peppers, unless I'm using a lot. I also don't scoop the yogurt out of the tub to weigh it, nor do I weigh bananas if I'm traveling with them because I don't eat the peel and I don't want to carry a peel around with me, or a scale. I am not sure how to deal with apples because you don't eat the core but it's part of the weight. I usually just weigh it and log the calories as is.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh single serving yogurt cups like Chobani, Oikos, Yoplait.