New to working out and dieting and missed my period!

Options
is this normal? I've been working out and eating healthy for a week (that's it!!) and my period didn't start.
I'm NOT pregnant!
Has anyone else had this happen?
When will it return to normal.

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I had it happen once to me.

;)
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me before, but it has happened at a time when I wasn't dieting. I just randomly miss one every now and then (like once a year). My doctor said that it was normal, nothing to be concerned about. Now, if you miss two in a row and you're not on birth control, I would make an appt. with your gyno just to be sure.

Looking at your diary, your goal seems awfully low for someone as young as you. What are your stats (height, weight, weight loss goal per week on average)? are you weighing your food with a kitchen scale? how are you measuring calories burned from exercise and are you eating any of them back?

• kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The timing of your period can fluctuate based on relatively small things like sudden increases in exercise (mine was once delayed a few days because I went swimming in a cold pool). Give it a little more time than usual. If you stick regularly with a healthy appropriate exercise routine, it should return to a normal schedule as your body will adjust. If it does not, see a doctor.
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out and eating less I started spotting for a few days, then things normalized. Stress, diet, exercise, and major life events can all screw with the timing of your period. It's usually not a big deal.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    looked at you diary and you eat around 1200 calories
    Do you eat your calories back ( a part)

this because under eating can cause also skipping or totally losing for a period of time your menstruation
    But also stress change of diet etc etc

So who knows what it is. Ones is not that bad, when it happens more i would see a doctor.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Any time you change your diet, or anything that goes into your body for that matter- you can experience a loss of menstruation (or changes in your cycle).

Most likely this is due to changing your diet. However, you should always call your GYN and let them know you missed a period. They will likely want you to schedule an appointment to make sure nothing more serious is happening.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you over restricting yourself?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yes. But usually it's not affected if the stress/change came after ovulation.

You know your period can be late sometimes. Just try to relax.
  • DanniPants6
    DanniPants6 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad this post came up. I'm new to the game .. and this is happening to me .
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Your period is how late? And anything you've been doing this week won't affect a period due this week. Once your egg has released, nothing is stopping the eventual period. If you started this 3-ish weeks ago it could have caused you to skip an ovulation or ovulate late. Even the most clockwork women can have a weird cycle now and then. Wear new panties, white pants and take a pregnancy test...all fail proof ways to bring Aunt Flo out of hiding lol!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I'm so glad this post came up. I'm new to the game .. and this is happening to me .

How late are you? You might skip, you might be late. Just make sure your deficit isn't too aggressive, you're getting all your micronutrients in, and good sleep.