Cross Fit for beginners

Options
deidrebentley
deidrebentley Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've heard good things and saw amazing results. I'm thinking about joining one of these classes.

I lost 40lbs. Now I need to tighten up...and tone...

Anything you have to tell me about this would be great!

Fyi: I lost my weight doing Zumba 4-5 days a week with diet.

Replies

• cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    There is a crossfit group. Post there and you will get responses.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Or you could not pay the high fee of a cross fit group and just lift, safely, in a gym. Perhaps paying for a trainer for long enough to teach you proper form.

Just sayin.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is highly motivating and pushes you a bit harder than you would do on your own because you are in a group. Most Crossfit gyms (boxes, as they are called) have an on-ramp class. You start in that class. It is scaled a bit easier and designed to teach you the lifts and the skilled movements you do in a Crossfit WOD.
    Yes, Crossfit is a bit expensive. But it is fun to be part of a group. It's very social.
  • alekth
    alekth Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen quality varies dramatically. Haven't observed the worst of the lot personally, but on youtube alone there are plenty of examples where you wonder whether the training is about sustaining the heaviest injury in the least amount of time. There simply doesn't seem to be enough control over the qualification of the trainers.

Do some heavy investigation into the particular box you want to join.
  • effervescence1
    effervescence1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Joining a crossfit box has been the best decision I have ever made in regards to fitness. A good box will have reputable coaches that will make sure you lift correctly, unlike people at your local gym. You cannot beat the community of support while you're working out. The change in my body has been amazing, and fast!!!
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options

LOL as much as this was making fun of CrossFit it's basically all of the negative things I've heard about it. I personally have not tried CrossFit, but I just don't feel the need to be the best at working out or injuring myself trying to do as many reps of something as possible in a certain amount of time? A reputable trainer/gym is going to be key though. If you like more of a group setting with competitive people who will push you to do more then it might be good for you.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    but I just don't feel the need to be the best at working out or injuring myself trying to do as many reps of something as possible in a certain amount of time?

That's pretty much my issue with CrossFit. A deadlift, for instance, is an exercise that, if done even slightly wrong, results in injury. And here comes CrossFit, trying to superset deadlifts with some other exercises, and putting a time limit on the whole thing (do as many rounds as you can in X minutes). It's nonsensical, unsafe, and will not actually make you any stronger than if you took all the exercises and just did them correctly, safely with proper rest between sets.

• shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    These are just the views of an former Army Master Fitness Trainer...

Crossfit is kind of a weird thing. When I first heard of it - I noticed a lot of the exercises are things we used in Afghanistan and Iraq where we didn't always have weights. We did these things out of a need to keep in shape and most of us did not overdue it, because injuries mean a loss of combat effectiveness. We paid attention to form and safety when doing these modified workouts. From what I've seen crossfit clubs do none of this.

Ask your Orthopedic Surgeon and Neurosurgeon if Crossfit is right for you, because you'll likely need both within 18 months of doing this absurd form of training. 20% of Crossfit participants require major surgery/sustained major injuries according to one OJSM Studyojs.sagepub.com/content/2/4/2325967114531177.full.pdf+html.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I realize common sense and personal responsibility are 2 things severely lacking in society these days, but a little of both can help you avoid problems and allow you to safely enjoy crossfit. A good coach helps too.
  • marysamezz
    marysamezz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I realize common sense and personal responsibility are 2 things severely lacking in society these days, but a little of both can help you avoid problems and allow you to safely enjoy crossfit. A good coach helps too.

Agreed. If you listen to your body and lift responsibly with good form, you can avoid injury. I have never heard of a coach in crossfit who would advise sacrificing good form to get a faster time or more reps in. The timer for most is simply a motivator.
  • shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

This right here is sound advice. If your personal trainer is saying don't push yourself so hard and you feel fine pushing, push away. If your trainer is saying push harder and you just heard a loud pop in your knee and feel a stabbing pain, throat punch them and seek medical attention.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    OP - "toning" and "tightening" is mostly about losing body fat, which is about a calorie deficit, not a particular training method. Don't get me wrong, strength training helps too, but any good strength program works about equally well for your goals. Just try to work under the guidance of a good trainer, or follow a good program like NROLFW, Stronglifts, etc.

shank35l wrote: »
    Ask your Orthopedic Surgeon and Neurosurgeon if Crossfit is right for you, because you'll likely need both within 18 months of doing this absurd form of training. 20% of Crossfit participants require major surgery/sustained major injuries according to one OJSM Studyojs.sagepub.com/content/2/4/2325967114531177.full.pdf+html.

Just 20%? That's a lower injury rate than running:

21% - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19966104
    26% - ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18487252
    50% - https://condensedscience.wordpress.com/2011/06/08/the-analysis-of-injury-rates-in-running/

Ask your doctor before doing this absurd form of training. B)