Heavy cream in coffee

Options
i realize I write a lot of posts and don't ask the smartest of questions but I'm here for help and if people want to troll, go for it I won't take it seriously.

I've decided to take a jab at the high fat high protein low carb diet because I've heard it does wonders for type 1 diabetics. I drink coffee everyday and refuse to give it up, I usually do half and half with Splenda but notice that my blood sugar seems to spike when I use the half and half which is weird because it barely has carbs. I've heard that some put heavy cream in their coffee and swear by it saying it makes the coffee taste amazing and it's something that I want to try.

Has anyone done this or is doing this and has still lost weight doing it? Am I better off doing half and half and just taking extra insulin to cover it? I would be adding 2-3 tablespoons at most into my 16 oz of daily coffee. Is this going to set back my weight loss?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    The only way it will set back your weight loss is if it puts you over your total calorie goal for the day. You can adjust your other foods to make it fit within your calories.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do the heavy cream. Your reasons make good sense. If you are not completely satisfied after two weeks you can modify.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I use soy cream because I needed to watch my cholesterol. The taste varies widely by brand. I like the Organic Valley. But, i am totally satisfied with it - and the calories are quite a bit less.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Cream was the traditional additive to coffee - hence "creamer".

Couple of thoughts - granular splenda is 90+ % carbohydrate as it is bulked out with maltodextrin. Half and half will have lactose at least, maybe worse if it's an ersatz mix of corn or soy oil and HFCS
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Experimentation is easier if you don't change all elements at the same time.

Try dropping the Splenda first, for a couple of days, and see what happens.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Heavy cream works. I usually use coconut cream though. I like the taste and the fats it offers.

I have about 1/3 cup coconut cream in coffee per day and I've lost about 10 lbs this month at (usually) 1400-1800 calories per day.

Some use bulletproof coffee for zero carbs in the coffee.

OT, I am almost 40lbs overweight and was prediabetic. Eating a keto diet has made my blood sugars drop dramatically. I know it is an entirely different thing than type 1, but it sure helped me.
  • LadyOfTheRaven
    LadyOfTheRaven Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i realize I write a lot of posts and don't ask the smartest of questions but I'm here for help and if people want to troll, go for it I won't take it seriously.

I've decided to take a jab at the high fat high protein low carb diet because I've heard it does wonders for type 1 diabetics. I drink coffee everyday and refuse to give it up, I usually do half and half with Splenda but notice that my blood sugar seems to spike when I use the half and half which is weird because it barely has carbs. I've heard that some put heavy cream in their coffee and swear by it saying it makes the coffee taste amazing and it's something that I want to try.

Has anyone done this or is doing this and has still lost weight doing it? Am I better off doing half and half and just taking extra insulin to cover it? I would be adding 2-3 tablespoons at most into my 16 oz of daily coffee. Is this going to set back my weight loss?

Heavy cream typically is less carbs then half and half because it doesn't not contain as much milk fat (milk is high in carbs). Personally I use about a tbsp of heavy cream in my coffee every morning. If you are needing to add more fat into your diet, I would suggest trying BulletProof Coffee (do a search and you will find the recipe). It is the delicious and super creamy/fatty goodness in a cup. Imagine butter, coconut oil, and cream in your coffee that is whipped together and makes this delightful foam on top.... Ahhh.

I have lost 80lbs this past year and am continuing to lose weight. I have 15 lbs more to my goal weight. My levels are great and I feel amazing. Low carb/high fat can be life changing.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    My mom lost 50 pounds 10 years ago doing low carb, has been low carb ever since and has kept the weight off... Every morning her coffee is with heavy whipping cream. She's 65 and never exercises... I think you're good to go.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Switching to heavy cream in my coffee allowed me to dump the Splenda. Cream is the best!

• KatieMcCakes
    KatieMcCakes Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am Type I too, and a coffee addict-- love me some cream. But I find that dairy gives my blood sugar a pretty bad spike, much higher than it should be for the small amount of carbs in that little bit of cream in the coffee. I think it may be due to an allergy sensitivity to the dairy protein. I also notice a little bit of stomach upset and acne any time I eat dairy, and when I remove it from my diet for about a month to six weeks, I find that my insulin sensitivity improves, and my high blood sugars are easier to bring down with just exercise. Just my personal perspective, hope you can find some answers. Good luck with Type 1... I know it's a hard road.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it isn't related to predawn hormone dump most people have?

Just asking because that puzzled me for a while till my Dr explained it. I wondered what I did to cause a morning spike.
  • rockailly13
    rockailly13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Heavy cream typically is less carbs then half and half because it doesn't not contain as much milk fat (milk is high in carbs). Personally I use about a tbsp of heavy cream in my coffee every morning. If you are needing to add more fat into your diet, I would suggest trying BulletProof Coffee (do a search and you will find the recipe). It is the delicious and super creamy/fatty goodness in a cup. Imagine butter, coconut oil, and cream in your coffee that is whipped together and makes this delightful foam on top.... Ahhh.

I have lost 80lbs this past year and am continuing to lose weight. I have 15 lbs more to my goal weight. My levels are great and I feel amazing. Low carb/high fat can be life changing.

• rockailly13
    rockailly13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    @LadyOfTheRaven do you add cream to your bulletproof coffee? I've looked up numerous recipes and a lot of them are butter and coconut oil and a couple have been all three, do you have a favorite recipe you use?