Hi! I got married today and am starting my journey tomorrow.

Hello there. I'm 32 years old and had my wedding this afternoon. I weighed myself this morning (I know, not a smart idea) and am 180lbs. So this is the story: I've lost weight before on weight watchers and got heavily involved in the weekly meetings. I'm a 5'7 male and went from 180lbs to 145lbs. The entire time at Weight Watchers I was getting into a cycle of poor eating habits where I would starve myself or restrict my diet to the max. I gained all the weight back and am ready to lose weight healthfully and keep it off for the rest of my life. This is for my health and well-being as I continue to age.

For the last 1.5 months I have been attending yoga 5 days a week and also running 15 miles (3.5 miles a day) a week. I think this is an outstanding start because I feel this is manageable, easy to maintain, and realistic for my life. However, I am not losing weight. Instead of getting upset I am going to join this website and try again without starving myself and enjoying every moment. My goal is to lose weight, get to my goal of 130lbs, and keep it off for the rest of my life.

At the moment I see myself continuing to run 3.5 miles a day and going to yoga 5 days a week. Thinking of adding to this exercise plan makes me feel a little overwhelmed so I'm going to stick with this for a while and slowly add on more. Diet wise; I am a pescatarian and eat mostly whole grains, oats, fruits, and vegetables.

Since it's summer I've been eating a half watermelon everyday with a salad for dinner after yoga and having something light for breakfast like oatmeal. Lunch usually consists of a salad and mocha.

My vices are mochas and cream in my coffee, besides that I think I am healthier than most, but don't understand why the weight doesn't come off.

I plan on staying committed to this and find support and motivation through others.

Look forward to a successful weight loss journey,
D

Replies

• sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Hello, D! Congratulations and welcome to the marriage bandwagon!

I'm a big fan of MFP and I did so good back in 2009 that I managed to shed off the weight I gained shortly after my wedding (30lbs). :-)

I am also in need of motivation!
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Congratulations on your marriage. It sounds like you're off to a great start. Just keep logging your food and the weight should start to come off.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Hi, congrats on your marriage!

You mention that you eat pretty healthy, but that doesn't mean that you eat the right number of calories. Here is my MFP primer:

Buy a food scale, weigh and log everything.

Do cardio if you want, and if you do, only eat back 50% of your calories (if you are losing faster than expected after logging for a few weeks, then up the % you eat back). Lift weights and hit your protein goal to help maintain muscle mass while losing.

Cheat meals that take you over maintenance will sabotage your efforts. Log the cheat meals too (falls under the 'log everything' rule).

Eat anything you want in moderation, keeping in mind that your diet will be easier to stick with if you chose foods that make it easier to stay under your calories without feeling hungry.

Also it would be a good idea to read some of the best forum posts such as:
    Calorie Counting 101
    Logging Accuracy, Consistency, & You're Probably Eating More Than You Think
    A Guide To Get You Started on Your Path To Sexy Pants

And since you're interested in stomach fat:
    So You Want A Nice Stomach

Now get off the computer or phone app, and go spend some quality time with your new husband!!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Congrats on the wedding.
    It makes no difference what you eat, it comes down to calories.
    Cico
    Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight.
  • che1229
    che1229 Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2015
    Congrats on the wedding! Definitely watch your sugar intake even for healthy foods like watermelon. That alone could kill your weight loss because it is a quick digesting carb that spikes your insulin and could cause you to store fat. It's not just the calories but the type of calories (fats, proteins, carbs, etc.) You're definitely on the right track. Keep up the good work and stay motivated! We can do this!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    che1229 wrote: »
    Congrats on the wedding! Definitely watch your sugar intake even for healthy foods like watermelon. That alone could kill your weight loss because it it a quick digesting carb that spikes your insulin and could cause you to store fat. It's not just the calories but the type of calories (fats, proteins, carbs, etc.) You're definitely on the right track. Keep up the good work and stay motivated! We can do this!

You don't need to avoid fruit. You don't need to avoid sugar. You just need a calorie deficit.
  • raregem99
    raregem99 Posts: 88 Member
    According to calorie king, one whole watermelon is 920 cals, so a half would be a lot for a 5'7" person trying to eat at a deficit. Also, the mocha could be as much as 300 cals. You'll just have to start counting and logging everything you eat because you're probably eating too many cals.