Entering exercise but not eating back cals.

Options
So, if I enter my exercise it adds those calories back on the total to eat. I don't want to eat them back, is there a way to set it up so it doesn't add them back on? Or should I just wait until the end of the day to enter the exercise? Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    No matter when you put them in they will add it to your calorie goals for the day. You can enter them and just not eat them back. A lot of people do not eat their excercise calories but still log them. Do what works for you and listen to your body. Good luck with your journey!
  • Slow_Wisco_Runner
    Slow_Wisco_Runner Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    I find it easier not to log my excercise at all on MFP. I keep track of it on my calendar but I find it less confusing as far as calories goes, to not track it on here.
  • wendyv123
    wendyv123 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yeah I don't like that feature at all. I do still enter my exercise, but I don't eat the earned back calories...the reward I get is seeing the predicted weight loss over 5 weeks when I hit "Done" for the day. I don't understand why they can't make this a simple setting-- "eat back calories earned from exercise. On / Off"
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I manually enter my calories burned to that of half the suggested. I think I was overestimating my calories burned and in the end eating way more than I was burning. I enter 300 calories. So if I am under then I am still at 1200. And if I am over, it's only by 300. And either way I still end up around my normal 1500 anyways. It's a win win for me. Plus I exercise to lower my bg for my Diabetes. Defeats the purpose to then eat it all back. I just make sure I exercise after a meal and before the next. That way I'm recovering with my normal meal and not extra. If I need to I eat more.
  • VanessaFaulkner
    Options
    First...if you're going to log your exercise calories...invest in a HRM! I personally feel it's the ONLY way to get a close value of what you've really burned. Second, occasionally I eat my "burned" calories. It depends on my body. If my body tells me I need to eat...I eat. There will be days where you're body is telling you that you need more than 1200 calories. Third, there are a few days where there's no way around it, you're going to be in a situation where you have to eat something less desirable (say a child's birthday party with cake & ice cream & the yummy punch with sherbet in it)...a calorie nightmare! EVEN if you only indulge in small portions, your calories are going to be high...& it's all sugar so you aren't going to be full for the rest of the day so you need those "burned" calories so you can properly fuel your body. Forth, as you begin to get to a point of maintaining rather than losing, you're going to either have to eat a little more or exercise less.
  • Slow_Wisco_Runner
    Slow_Wisco_Runner Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!!
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    Eating at a deficit and not eating back at least most of the calories you burn during exercise is not a sustainable living style. This is doubly so if you have a high deficit like 1000 calories and will definitely become a major problem as you get in better shape. The amount of calories you burn when you are starting out might only be 200-300 calories depending on what you are doing but as you advance you could be burning 2 to 3 times that amount depending effort and progress. Eventually your deficit could get so large that you are not getting enough nutrients.

Also keep in mind a post workout recovery meal of protein and fast burning carbos not exceeding the amount of calories burned is a cornerstone of faster muscle recovery etc. in my view, performance is what matters because keeping the machine well oiled prepares you for the long haul and is better than grinding gears.

You could try more accurate estimates like @VanessaFaulkner suggested but you really have two safe long term approaches. Either do not have a deficit on your calorie count and don't count your exercise (your exercise becomes your deficit). Or keep the deficit and do your best to count your exercise. As long as you are close you will still be losing weight.

In my view a quick weight loss at the expense of what keeps your body healthy is not worthy the cost.
  • Harkins86
    Harkins86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit and not eating back at least most of the calories you burn during exercise is not a sustainable living style. This is doubly so if you have a high deficit like 1000 calories and will definitely become a major problem as you get in better shape. The amount of calories you burn when you are starting out might only be 200-300 calories depending on what you are doing but as you advance you could be burning 2 to 3 times that amount depending effort and progress. Eventually your deficit could get so large that you are not getting enough nutrients.

Also keep in mind a post workout recovery meal of protein and fast burning carbos not exceeding the amount of calories burned is a cornerstone of faster muscle recovery etc. in my view, performance is what matters because keeping the machine well oiled prepares you for the long haul and is better than grinding gears.

You could try more accurate estimates like @VanessaFaulkner suggested but you really have two safe long term approaches. Either do not have a deficit on your calorie count and don't count your exercise (your exercise becomes your deficit). Or keep the deficit and do your best to count your exercise. As long as you are close you will still be losing weight.

In my view a quick weight loss at the expense of what keeps your body healthy is not worthy the cost.

I agree totoally! It's all about being healthy in the long term :-)
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I log everything, that way I know what to do and what not to do. I'll loose track otherwise. Log your food and log your exercise and water. You can see how many exercise cals you burned so if you don't want to eat them then dont. Plus if you don't use the site to it's full, then there's no point using it at all, it won't give you accurate information that is essential to you and your new lifestyle...