Pre-logging the day?

Options
I was wondering if anyone here logs everything they are going to eat in the morning or day before, or just adds stuff throughout the day. I am thinking of starting to pre-log my days so that it will help me to stop straying off my diet when something tasty comes along as I will already know what my totals for the day are and I won't want to ruin it.
Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I do this little, kinda plan things out. More so early in the same day. I find it to be a good tactic, a good arrow to have in one's dieting quiver.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I pre log the night before usually, once I have made my lunch. then just tweak portion sizes for tea and add snacks as I go along.

I find it much easier to hit my cals and macros that way
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I pre-log with estimates of quantities for bf, lunch and dinner, sometimes pre-log snacks if I know what I'm doing the whole day.
    I couldn't log things after eating them because I'd end up missing macros or going over on calories. Pre-logging makes me think "is it worth it" even for "healthy" meals and makes me aware of what I'm eating and which bits are the best for me and which are yummy but nutritionally useless.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't pre-log unless the day is going to be somehow unusual ... like if I'm planning to go out to a restaurant, or I'm considering eating something at morning tea at work, or something. Then I'll kind of experiment ... if I choose this, how much exercise will I have to do to burn it ... but if I choose that, maybe that would be a better choice, etc.

Otherwise, I know to eat up to a certain number of calories by the end of my working day, and then I'll have enough for dinner and an evening snack left over.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I prelog my day when I'm having my cuppa in the morning. It's the first thing I do when I turn my computer on.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I used to do it, and am starting to do it already :) same reason as you, to avoid being distracted from foods and creating excuses as to why I can have them, when I shouldn't be having them :)
  • Desert_flower3
    Desert_flower3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I pre log and it works good cuz sometimes you dont really know what you are getting yourself into LOL!
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight by prelogging...... Now that doesn't mean I didn't stray once in a while or change things up and adjust as life happened, but I had my game plan every morning
  • trucalling55
    trucalling55 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started this a week ago - I MUST prelog, otherwise I would not know how much I can eat for breakfast and what is OK within the total daily intake. First time I do this kind of diet and it seems to work really well. Previously I did not do it so strictly and it never resulted in weight loss. So I am sure prelogging helps a lot, to be aware of what one eats, also to stay away from extra calories that will ruin the entire plan.
  • Nataysha88
    Nataysha88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If We Fail To Plan, We Plan To Fail.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yep, I prelog (or 'plog' as I prefer to call it) definitely makes things easier because then I know if I can fit something extra in or need to do a bit more exercise before I can have something else :)

Sometimes I don't plog dinner because I don't know weights etc yet but might do it roughly and tweak as I need to.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I pre log either the night before or early that morning. It keeps me on track to hit my macros and stops me from going off track during the day. You got this! Good luck!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I never fail to plan my flan.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I pre-log at least the meal before, sometimes the whole day. It made the difference when I shifted to pre-logging, no "eaters remorse" after working out after the fact that at a meal was way higher in calories than you guessed it was going to be.

I also guess the maximum and then adjust the log for the actual. For example, if my calories allow for 250g lasagne for dinner, I will pre-log that and then when I dish it up on the scale I will take the amount that I feel comfortable with - under that amount - I keep spooning it on until it looks right and sometimes that might be 220g or 210g. I never feel deprived when I do that and I feel as though I had a choice in the quantity. It is no fun to dish up a portion that you think looks right, weigh it and then have to remove food from your plate when it turns out to be too much. I avoid any situation where I have to remove food from my plate and feel sorry for myself.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I pre-log the whole week so I know how many I have left over for treats :)
  • unigirl143
    unigirl143 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I pre-log as much as I can. I like knowing what leeway I have for each day in case something comes up.
  • bel_jay
    bel_jay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like to pre-log my main meals for the whole week so that I know what groceries I need to buy and what food prep I need to do for the week ahead :)
  • RNChristie33
    RNChristie33 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i have just recently started pre-logging, and its working pretty well for me. gives me a lot more wiggle room to play and adjust my macros ahead of time, instead of getting to dinner time and finding myself with zero fat or carbs left but still needing so much protein, etc..
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I always pre-log meals, but not snacks. I started in Jan, have lost 16lbs, and have been on maintenance for two months now.

I pre-log meals so I don't run out of cals for dinner. :smiley:

I usually have a few hundred cals left that I use for snacks during the day and just log those as I go. Sometimes, especially at work, I'm in a habit of having the same snacks and then I might pre-log, just to save time.

I've always been a meal planner - I work out what dinners we're having for the week and go to the supermarket with a list of what I need (rather than just picking up a load of food and working out what to do with it later). I've always done that to minimise my food/money waste, so pre-logging meals was no hassle for me.