currently 275lbs... addicted to sugar.

Options
Im 29 and a mom of one. My short trem goal: I would love to see myself under 200lbs. I havent counted calories in years, but know I eat way to much junk food/drink soda... to the point that I feel like im addicted. I know I have a problem that needs to be fixed. A friend recomended this app so here I am. I have offically made it one whole day with out any soda... when I craved sugar I ate grapes instead. I was just wondering what other ppl with sugar/soda cravings do instead of caving into those impulses. Has anything helped/worked for you?

Replies

• mjgrin
    mjgrin Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    When I'm craving soda, I find it helps me to drink something rather than nothing. I like to drink carbonated flavored water to help when the cravings are bad.

But congratulations on your first full day. Baby steps!

• tiffie_taffy
    tiffie_taffy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply mjgrin! And the encouragment.
  • Rimfakse
    Rimfakse Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What about diet soda instead of normal soda, wouldn't it help your cravings?
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    When I have to have something (when I still had really hardcore cravings for soda), I either go for fruit juice (OJ is always in the house for the boy) or I used to buy Crystal light packets or something like that. Honestly, I still have one once in a while. All in moderation.
  • Runningman_78
    Runningman_78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First off make sure you clear out your cupboards of any high sugar snacks etc so if you feel you're going to cave, you wont be able to find a quick fix. Try chewing (sugar free) gum to keep your mind occupied and like mentioned, carbonated flavoured water could also help. Just take it day to day...you dont realise how much sugar is in everything until you try to cut way back on it!
  • tiffie_taffy
    tiffie_taffy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have tried to go to just diet sode but would still drink way to much of it... I wouldn't even realise how much until I really thout about it... (32+oz a few times a day) I'm sick of being controled by it. I did buy some crystal light packs today. ;) loved the suggestion of sugar free gum btw... for the most part my house dosnt have any sugary foods that belong to me in it... can't throw out my hubbies or my newphews stuff :/ thanks for the wonderful suggestions!
  • weepingangel0
    weepingangel0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my sugar cravings by drinking green tea with a bit of lemon juice, helps with weight loss to. I always carry a bottle of water with me when I feel like drinking something not good I drink a load of water instead. Take it one day at a time..... ;)
  • Fitdoge
    Fitdoge Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to sugar, too, I think. I've been working hard at it - so far, exercising self control in not purchasing sweets or sugar so they're not available in your house is a really good method but harder than it sounds. You get better and better at it as long as you don't destroy yourself whenever it does happen. If you're at the store and start thinking "man, I should pick up some soda" just say NO and briskly start walking in the direction of whatever your next item is.You'll forget about it until another distraction comes up. Bubblegum or sweet tasting gums are a great alternative; I found some Sour Strawberry chewing gum by 5 Gum that helps when I'm craving Sour Patch Kids or something. Apples, bananas, and fruits that are generally pretty sweet help a lot - sometimes if the craving is very bad I will toast a piece of wheat bread and slather it with a tablespoon of honey. It takes the craving down a few notches and is a much better choice than a bag of skittles. If your daily allowance allows it, you can make frozen hot chocolate - just find two packets of the healthiest hot chocolate mix, a cup of soy milk or low fat milk, and as much ice as you want and blend it. It's a nice dessert that doesn't pack on sugar or carbs.
    To help with cravings I have actually picked up zero nicotine vaping. It's not an expensive hobby to get into, and the tastes can help a lot. A lot of people are adverse to the idea, even if it IS zero nicotine, but I just thought I'd mention it.
  • jimbopolo
    jimbopolo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have just started cutting out foods with added sugar as much as i can and it is tough. I am finding that drinking lots of water helps keep the snacking at bay. Though over the last week i have finally found out what life is like on no sugar and I have lost all energy but that will pass and you will feel better for it.
  • VexBlack
    VexBlack Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

It's a bit of money to spend, but it would be a good investment. Buy a nutribullet! (dont buy a cheaper option, the dont work in the same way!). If you use that and liquidize fruit and vegetables then it'll have natural sugars in. This will curb your craving for soda and also fill you up enough so that you hopefully wont want anything to eat or drink for a while. If you do get a craving in between meals try filling up soda bottles with water, it'll help psychologically.
  • Fitdoge
    Fitdoge Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    VexBlack wrote: »
    Hi there!

It's a bit of money to spend, but it would be a good investment. Buy a nutribullet! (dont buy a cheaper option, the dont work in the same way!). If you use that and liquidize fruit and vegetables then it'll have natural sugars in. This will curb your craving for soda and also fill you up enough so that you hopefully wont want anything to eat or drink for a while. If you do get a craving in between meals try filling up soda bottles with water, it'll help psychologically.

More often than not it's not the aspect of sugar that you're craving but the comfort and the taste. As for water in a soda bottle, there are better options to trick your brain. If you like Orangina or orange soda, you can add seltzer water to orange juice in equal parts and it's a great mimic. It actually tastes better than Crush or most soda companies and hits the spot better, in my opinion.
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Welcome tiffie_taffy! I have an addiction to sugar also but I'm currently in remission - one day at a time. I find it important to have a plan in place everyday. It's easier to not think about sweets if I have planned my food for the day and record it in my food diary. Planning ahead keeps me from grabbing an unhealthy food when I'm hungry and on the run. I always keep hard boiled eggs on hand because they are easy to grab and pack along with a piece of fruit and a snack bag of almonds. I went through having no energy like jimbopolo but fortunately it didn't last long and after it was over I had more energy than when I was stuffing my face with sugar. One other thing I learned is important is to set weekly goals. I took my big goal and spit it down into 2lb per week goals. That way I can have successes to celebrate. I used to erase or cross off the goal but now I keep them for when I'm needing motivation. I can go back and look at how far I've come and it helps me stay on track. I hope this makes sense to you and helps in some way. The last thing I've learned is to not beat myself up if I make an unhealthy choice. Friend me if you'd like I am always willing to help. <3