High protein, low(er) carb breakfast for busy girl?

Options
megbee617
megbee617 Posts: 100 Member
Hi guys,

I went to the Drs and found out I likely have this condition called "reactive hypoglycemia". Basically, after eating a high-carb meal, my pancreas is like "yayyy I'm gonna make a bunch of insulin!" and then I crash a few hours later (2-3hrs) - sweats, jitters, dizziness, BP goes up, etc. At this time my glucose is 50s-60s. The best relief is drinking a gatorade for me. Or just eating again.

Anyway, my Dr suggested taking on a low(er) carb diet, but its hard because EVERYTHING is a carb! (Que Mean Girls quote here). Usually my breakfast is a fiber one english muffin w/ PB or avocado or some type of bran cereal with either apple or banana. But these are all carbs and I can't think of any food other than eggs that's high-protein low-carb. Even yogurt is pretty high in the carb dept.

I need something quick and easy - something I can make in less than 5mins in the morning on my way out the door, or something I can bring to work. All the recipes I found online are pretty elaborate and seem like they are make for people who don't have jobs. I don't have time to make egg-white frittatas every day!

Replies

• mumfy23
    mumfy23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You can still eat yogurt - just look for low sugar ones. I make breaksfast on Sunday's for the week - scrambled eggs - just make them a little runny and reheat. You can do egg bakes - any time of veggies, sauteed, add eggs and bake - this time of year, they are great with tomatoes sliced on top and a sprinkle of parm cheese. You can bake eggs in muffin tins with canadian bacon and they freeze well. Good luck.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    You also can let go of the idea of "breakfast foods" and just eat some protein that sounds good to you. A few ounces of chicken or a bit of cheese with some lower carb fruit is a great breakfast on the go. I will slice an apple and an ounce of cheese and have it with me in the car. (my job is on the road typically)
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    yesterday's breakfast was 1% lactaid cottage cheese with 1/2 cup cantalope balls (prepared nite before) and 1/2 banana w/ a dollop of Sirrachi sauce. Really tasty. Today is 2 eggs over sautéed kaylettes prepared the night before (these are hybrid of kale and broccoli and fabulous) -- took less than 10 minutes while I blow dried my hair. Also like plain greek yogurt with plain vanilla stirred in (no sugar) with mixed fresh berries.
  • ani091769
    ani091769 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have this issue myself and I can't eat eggs because for some reason I can't digest them. If you can handle eggs...hard boil a bunch of them and have them handy. I do this for my teenage daughter from time to time. You can either have a couple eggs with low carb toast or even pick up some pre-cooked bacon or low-fat turkey sausage you can microwave quickly at home or take it to work along with an egg. Cottage cheese is a good option as well. Hope you find something that works for you!
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have the same issue although not medically diagnosed. I use to buy bakery bagels all the time and never put it together that it was high carbs causing my day long low sugar feeling issues

Nowadays I love plain Greek yogurt with pistachios and a touch of honey paired with 1 slice of wheat toast and 1/2 TB peanut butter. It fuels me well when I don't eat eggs. I also love roasted sweet potatoes in place of bread-carbs paired with egg whites + 1 whole egg.

Basically anytime I have a carb I have some protein/fat with it. Edited to add...i also avoid cereal in the morning. I only eat Kashi go lean as its high in fiber and protein but it doesn't keep me full long in the morning. Rather I eat it at night with almond milk and it doesn't bother me. Hypoglycemia is weird sometimes!!
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Ham and eggs. Just make sure the ham is relatively lean. Or low-fat/fat-free cottage cheese. As others have said, you may have to ditch the 'breakfast food' concept.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    egg, egg and more egg, meat, chicken, turkey breast, ham, omelette with egg, spinach and ham, plain yoghurt with protein powder mixed in it (yum), cottage cheese.... smoked salmon.... yuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmm and easy as to prepare.
  • IreneM99
    IreneM99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have cottage cheese with a tablespoon of peanut butter in it pretty much everyday.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I would switch to LCHF or keto then. I fry up 4-10 oz of bacon non sugar cured ( 0gms of carbs), 2-3 eggs cooked in bacon grease/ heavy whipping cream depending on hunger (0-2 gms of carbs), and cheese ( 0 carbs). Breakfast and lunch are my biggest meals so I eat most of my calories there.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Protein shake or smoothie. You can add some fruit or PB up to however many carbs you want to have. I personally like half a banana for texture.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    On Sunday: Get a muffin tin. Around the side of each cup, lay a slice of bacon. In a bowl, mix either about 8 eggs, or the equivalent in Egg Beaters. Add some chopped veggies (asparagus, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, whatever; some veggies you might want to blanche first. Add some shredded cheese or crumbled feta cheese. Mix well. Pour into the muffin tin, taking care to keep that slice of bacon (turkey bacon works too) on the outside rim of each cup.

Bake for, I don't remember, 20 minutes, maybe a half-hour, at 350 until done. You'll know it's done by how springy it is.

Let cool. Put each one in a separate baggie and freeze some, keep a few others in the fridge. In the morning, pull one out, zap it in the microwave for 2 minutes. Voila.

Protein, limited carbs, breakfast in 2 minutes. Top with avocado, salsa....or just grab and go.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Stick with slow digesting carbs. Oats, whole grains ect ect. They'll keep your insulin levels low while still providing energy. For me, I eat most of my carbs in the morning and gradually lower them by night.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm into eating cottage cheese wrapped around turkey breast slices with chopped tomatoes and cucumbers. Washed down with tea. It's unbelievably filling.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Also nuts and seeds are great too for grab and go with a glass of milk.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    megbee617 wrote: »
    Anyway, my Dr suggested taking on a low(er) carb diet, but its hard because EVERYTHING is a carb! (Que Mean Girls quote here). Usually my breakfast is a fiber one english muffin w/ PB or avocado or some type of bran cereal with either apple or banana. But these are all carbs and I can't think of any food other than eggs that's high-protein low-carb. Even yogurt is pretty high in the carb dept.

You'll get into the swing of avoiding carbs for breakfast, lunch, and snacks.

In the meantime... switch yogurts. Plain Greek yogurt (check the nutrition label carefully, there are some faux "greek style" yogurts out there) will have between 14 to 21g (most around 15-17g) protein in 150-175g (up to 3/4 cup) of yogurt but only minimal carbs (6g - 8g). The flavoured types will have much more sugar. Fat free flavoured yogurts often have a ton of carbs.

Don't be afraid of full fat products. I'd rather have some dairy fat providing calories than additional sugar in my yogurt so I routinely buy 2% Greek but will buy 5% if I can find it. Unfortunately many groceries simply stock 0% types because that's what the public think they need.

Berries might not spike your blood sugar; I have fresh or frozen blueberries most every morning. A handful of almonds rounds out my breakfast. All three together - 250 to 300 calories depending on portion size. I find this carries me through the morning (with a good coffee, black or with a hint of half and half).

Frying up 2 eggs takes no time. I prefer to make mine an omelette which adds a few minutes and another dish.

Forgetting the notion of "breakfast" foods is a great idea. I'll often have a slice of last night's roast or whatever is left over and a slice of cheese. I have bread-less sandwiches all the time.

And so on.

• psucato
    psucato Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    14 egg whites 4 carbs 240 cal 50 gram protein will fill up up with out a big carb load.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Why waste all those nice yolks?
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Can you, on a Sunday night for example, boil a load of eggs and grill some bacon? They'll last for a few days in the fridge and you could do it once mid week too?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese or plain yogurt with sliced almonds.
    Ham with cucumbers and carrots.
    The night before you can cook things like this to heat up in the morning:
    Small hamburger with cheese (no bun).
    Chicken breast with tomatoes and spinach.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Stick with slow digesting carbs. Oats, whole grains ect ect. They'll keep your insulin levels low while still providing energy. For me, I eat most of my carbs in the morning and gradually lower them by night.

This. Carbs that are from whole grains and legumes, that are high in fiber, mixed with some protein, will process slower and don't tend to cause the high blood sugar spikes, which are almost always followed by a fast (and potentially dangerous) crash. I'm a type 2 diabetic, and when I was on injectable insulin, had to really watch out for low episodes. Not a big problem now that I don't have to take the injectables anymore, but I still watch my carb intake. I try to stay under 35g carbs a meal, 125 per day and get at least 25-30g fiber a day. Exercise also helps regulate blood glucose levels and keep them steady during the day. Try to get at least 20-30 minutes a day.