I'm not proud of myself anymore

Options
I am 6 foot 153 lb, I was happy when I made it to this weight but over the last year my mental health has gone down the drain.

I'm seeing someone for mental health, I still consider myself "chubby looking" and I set my tracker to 140 lb. It's strange that I did not have this problem with body image until I lost the weight now it is an obsession.

Replies

• Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I have let myself get to this point :( and I am not sure if that is even healthy as a weight goal!
  • ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I understand how losing weight can become an obsession, as our 'self image' doesn't change. I've lost around 18 lbs and I feel bigger than before. I think our mind takes longer to register the change. I have no idea how you're built, so I can't really say, but I think 140 lbs at 6 foot sounds very little! I think it would be really good for you to talk to some one; you've already realised that you might have a problem, so that's a good start. I hope you'll be alright!! Take care.
  • Maqneta
    Options
    ElisaJtsu wrote: »
    I understand how losing weight can become an obsession, as our 'self image' doesn't change. I've lost around 18 lbs and I feel bigger than before. I think our mind takes longer to register the change. I have no idea how you're built, so I can't really say, but I think 140 lbs at 6 foot sounds very little! I think it would be really good for you to talk to some one; you've already realised that you might have a problem, so that's a good start. I hope you'll be alright!! Take care.

I never once questioned my body before up until the doctor and family started to worry about me, from there my confidence went down with my weight
    And now i judge myself by the numbers on a scale :(
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting? You are on the lower side of normal , but still normal weight, sp where you are on that scale shouldnt matter. If you want to look slimmer or more defined then you should consider lifting an set your focus there instead of losing more weight. That will divert your thibnking about just weight and meet your expectations on how you look.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Why aren't you counting protein in your diary? What do you want to achieve? Are you trying to be skinny? or do you want to be muscly? Is there someone about 6 foot that represents your ideal size and shape?

Do you think you've got body dysmorphic disorder? Have you read up on that? I recommend it. Most of us have some issues iwht body image even when everyone else tells us we look good. Unhealthy obsession with body image reflect anxiety and lack of self confidence.

I hope you keep working with your treating doctors and therapists.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Firstly, it's good that you're working with a professional on this. I wonder whether your dissatisfaction is the lack of goal or direction now. I found that when I moved to maintenance I missed the thrill of seeing the weight dropping (for me though that resulted in over eating again). This time, I'm focusing on healthy. I've lost the weight again and am now starting lifting. I still have goals but this time the focus is not the scale but the tape and the lifted weights. I'm also starting to look at goals for running too. Perhaps a refocus and new goals would help you too.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    First off, you look terrific and you've clearly made a huge difference in your future health by dropping unhealthy weight. But you are there now... and that's a good thing. You've learned a ton about health and nutrition along the way and that's a good thing which will serve you well as you age. At 19 your body will change some more as you age further but you'll be prepared for those changes and that's a good thing.

Glad you are getting counselling as I'm sure you will learn to see for yourself what we can plainly see - you've made it, you look great, and you've got a lifetime ahead of you to enjoy the hard work you've put into your health.

Mike
    Vancouver BC
  • ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    First off, you look terrific and you've clearly made a huge difference in your future health by dropping unhealthy weight. But you are there now... and that's a good thing. You've learned a ton about health and nutrition along the way and that's a good thing which will serve you well as you age. At 19 your body will change some more as you age further but you'll be prepared for those changes and that's a good thing.

Glad you are getting counselling as I'm sure you will learn to see for yourself what we can plainly see - you've made it, you look great, and you've got a lifetime ahead of you to enjoy the hard work you've put into your health.

Mike
    Vancouver BC

THIS!
  • Maqneta
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

Mike
    Vancouver BC
    Thank you Mike, It's been a struggle with mental health for awhile now, trying to get past it with help has been difficult in its own, I am lucky enough to have a patient family also who deals with my flare ups.

I wish I could see what other people see but I don't and that makes it not as "joyful" as I know I should be. :(