Can anyone recommend exercise?

Options
Can anyone recommend exercise that is easy to build into your daily routine?

I don't particularly like exercising and at the moment find I'm only doing my fitness DVD once a week at the weekend. I know this is better than nothing but I also know that it's not ideal. I get up at 5:45 every weekday for work and don't get home until 18:45 and by the time I get home the last thing on my mind is exercise........any suggestions welcome :o)

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I have just started doing the Zumba DVD's at home - they are great fun, and I use the time while food is cooking to do them - there is a "quicky 15 minute one" and then a couple that is 45 mins - so I can fit them in even when I am short on time....

I have also ordered the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred - there are heaps of people on here doing it - only 30 mins a day.....

And then there is alwasy the old - 30 minute walk around the block....
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yep really try to find something you find fun - you're much more likely to keep at it then. If you have the spare $ I have found XBox Kinect to be awesome. I am really very busy but I manage to find at least 1/2hr to 45 mins a day for it since I "enjoy" it.
  • RodgerBuckley
    RodgerBuckley Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Exercise is entirely up to each individual as we all like different things. Personally I like to take a brisk walk in the evening, and if I do a 30 minute walk over the hill to the church and back I burn off around 200 calories, which meets my daily exercise goal. Others prefer to go to a gym. Al though I like going to the gym, it takes me ages to get there, then by the time I get back, 2 hours have gone by. Not a waste of time, but I do feel that the trek to the gym and back is a bind.

If you like to cycle, buy a bike and go for a ride every few days. It's also very easy to get a few small hand weights and just do 10 minutes here and there - you can even do it while relaxing watching TV - but I do it stood up regardless ;)

I'm not sure if this will be of use to you, but I've just found this website yesterday (http://www.mapmyrun.com/) which lets you map a route. If you enter your details e.g. height, weight etc, then when you do your route, enter the time it took, and it will calculate the calories burned for you. You could also use it to check your progress as you could do the same route a few times each week for a few weeks and see how your times reduce for the same journey. I just use the FREE version but there's also a subscription option too. I'll carry on with the freebie for now.

In the meantime, just DO SOMETHING :D

Rodger
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    do you drive to work? perhaps you can park a but further away and give yourself a 15 minute walk each way? little things like that can help
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    do 100 cruches while watching tv at night (i do 4 sets of 25)

practice push ups (i started at 3 full man push ups and now i can do 14 in a row)

tricep dips

all can be done on the floor in front of the tv while you are busy watching tv ...
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways to 'sneak' exercise into your normal day.

Walk as much as you can. Park your car farther away form your destination and walk the last bit, Walk at lunch, etc.

Always take the stairs. If you are forced to take an escalator in your building, then walk up and down it.

Get up from your desk once an hour and take a quick lap around the office (keeps you more alert, too!)
  • moose_15
    moose_15 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a Nintendo Wii with Wii Fit Plus, and even though it's fun to do I stll find myself struggling to get my motivation up to do it.

I am conscious of spending lots of money on workout DVDs etc in case they don't help or I never use them (being realistic here).. does anyone know of any that that actually help and are fun to do?