Boredom

Options
How do you combat the repetitive nature of strength training? I like bodyweight exercises, so I first started with nerd fitness beginner bodyweight, but eventually got less motivated for same exercise, then switched to their angry birds workout, then got tired of that, went to bodyweight.com exercise plan, and now hybrid athlete.... I stayed for each for about a month. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Keep moving through progressions. When a move gets easy, try the next hardest variation since you like bodyweight.

I don't find any part of training boring. I happily spent almost two hours practising my setup for bench on Friday. Just enough weight on the bar that I could tell when I had my setup perfect. I know most people would have been bored out their minds doing that but since I have a huge goal for my bench this year, spending the time perfecting the form has a big payoff and therefore is more then worth it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Join a gym and use actual weights
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I got bored when I didn't use progressive overload ( is it called that?) now i either change weight or number of reps or range of motion,boy,that way I can NOT get bored cos I'm super sweating and like grrrr

love it
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Join a gym and use actual weights

Yup. Doing the same crap over and over would be boring to anyone.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    If you're not up for joining a gym, maybe buy dumbbells so you could add weight at home.

I'd also suggest going to fitnessblender.com where you'll find a ton of free workout videos that you can search with all kinds of filters, I think including one where you can say you want workouts that don't require any equipment. You just go to the site and click on "full length workout videos" under "workouts" and you should be able to search.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Get yourself into a gym and start a program like Stronglifts 5x5 for example. Log your workouts and focus on progressive overload. Once your body starts changing you won't be bored anymore. Good luck!
  • ellensue553
    ellensue553 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Stop complaining about it and just stay active. If it were fun all of the time everyone would be fit. I liked the response "Join a gym and use actual weights". Yup.