Newbie lifting advice

Options
bubaluboo
bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
Last night I started lifting. I used to do body pump about 10 years ago and thought I'd be straight back at it. I only have dumbbells though (at home) so have had to modify a bit. Anyhow...it was hard!!! To keep good form, I had to take the weights down to 5kg per dumbbell for squats and even lower for some upper body exercises! Just getting through the 5x5 was exhausting :blush: .

Does this sound like the right place to start? My legs were like jelly afterwards and and when I went to run the dog after it was pure comedy to watch my legs disobey me completely! This morning I don't have that burning ache but I do feel weak in arms and legs. I also feel invigorated from starting this journey :)

Replies

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great way to start! Keep it up and add more weight as you become stronger.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you listened to your body and adjusted accordingly, so brilliant, well done! It's really easy to lose muscle strength so I'm not surprised you had to modify. Absolutely keep it up, especially if you enjoyed it and are feeling invigorated. You'll make strength gains really fast in the first few months, then it'll taper off. Don't worry, that just means you need to work harder to lift heavier.
    Good luck!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Well done, all sounds normal. I remember many first workouts after time off and they all suck. It'll get better, keep it up.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for encouragement. It's good to know that what I experienced is fairly normal. I'm so glad that after a very long time knowing that it was the right thing to do, I'm actually lifting!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bubaluboo wrote: »
    Thank you all for encouragement. It's good to know that what I experienced is fairly normal. I'm so glad that after a very long time knowing that it was the right thing to do, I'm actually lifting!

Lifting is always the right thing to do! ;)