Craving all things bad in the evening. Anyone else?!

Options
It comes to the evening, been to the gym, had dinner, put my feet up for a bit.... problem is I have a massive sweet tooth. The only way I can seem to stop craving in the evening (usually starts about 8pm-ish) is going to sleep otherwise I know I'll crack and have that chocolate bar! Does anyone else get these nasty night time cravings?! How to stop them...

Replies

• libstr
    libstr Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    me too! I have been sitiing here fighting the desire to raid the cupboard and fridge for the past couple of hours.... Im not really hungry but really fancy something sweet.

If i can only have one small bit of chocolate im ok.... its stopping at one!
  • fosterks
    fosterks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Exactly the same.... I do fine all day at work, go to the gym, and then have to battle with myself every night to eat what I have planned for my tea. I can take or leave sweet food, but my downfall is savoury snacks. I don't keep anything like that in, or the scotch eggs and sausage rolls etc would be consumed!!!
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    gum
    sugar free jello
    or usually I go and watch tv in the bedroom....I know another no no...but at least I know I won't snack in there...the sheets cost too much and the comforter is dry clean only

or on rare occasions if the cravings are really bad I do have something small and then walk a little on the treadmill or work out with exercise bands to keep my handes busy.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Instead of caving into the craving some things that have worked for me:

1) Journals - why am I getting cravings?
    2) Stop watching TV and pick up a book that's along the lines of your fitness goals
    3) Meditation

Try it out! :flowerforyou:
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    I have had the same problem sometimes.

I go to sleep early when this happens aswell.
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    Evenings are my 'bad time' too ..... I taught myself to knit about 4 years ago and that helps cause you can't eat while knitting! You can, however, eat while reading, browsing the internet and watching telly so these never worked for me!!

I allow myself a yogurt for dessert after my dinner and some days I'll keep it and have it later in the evening to satisfy my need for snacking.
  • rjvt006
    rjvt006 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I found Quaker Chewy bars made with real cocoa. i get the chocolatey mint ones only 90 cals with 2 g of fat and they hit the sweet tooth craving. So i get my sweet and dont feel bad. I just make sure i make room in my food dairy for one.
  • ChaliBahli
    ChaliBahli Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    wow- I completely do as well. The whole day can be on track for success but as soon as that time comes around, I want to eat and eat and eat. I like the yogurt idea- all different dessert tasting kinds these days- I also just bought the instant ff jello puddings which should help too. Support in solidarity! friend me if you wanna :) happy memorial day weekend
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I was a terrible night eater........terrible, I would eat so well during the day just to screw it up within one hour before bed. It was a bad bad habit. So my friend told me about Kelly Howell guided meditations cd's she has one for weight loss called sacred body. You're supposed to listen with a head set (theta waves) everyday for about 30 minutes for four - six weeks. You meditate and during the meditation it repatterns your brain with healthier suggestions and after about a month your habits are changed and healthier. Now I am not usually one to try this stuff but I was pretty desperate. I **** you not a week and half after doing the cd I started noticing smalll changes in a significant way. Even if it only worked because I really wanted it too.....It still worked!!!!! I haven't had a problem since. Please try it, it really changed my life on here. and it is very relaxing to listen too, it's ok to fall asleep to it it will still work, I just recommend trying to stay awake.
  • ChaliBahli
    ChaliBahli Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i knit too! Mom taught but progressing pretty well on my own now. Hey maybe we can push eachother to check in on knitting projects to curb the snacking... hmm. just a thought :)
  • twitbffl
    twitbffl Posts: 24
    Options
    A good snack for night time is Emerald's Cocoa dusted Almonds. You can have 16 for 150 calories. They're a good source for a little protein after a workout, too. I have them to curb my chocoholic side! They taste kind of like a Hershey's with almonds bar.
  • MelsDiet
    MelsDiet Posts: 69
    Options
    Me too! Every night around the same time as you I start to crave chocolate and/or cake. For the past week Ive been going up to bed early just to stop myself eating. I know I dont need it but I cant get it out of my head that I want it.
  • anetap2000
    anetap2000 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Me too, I ve got the some problem! M ost of the time I eat clean by 4 P.M. After that time I can eat and eat and eat and I can not stop. But I have noticed that when I dont eat sweet for couple of days, I dont crave it anymore. Your blood sugar level drops.
    Cleaning the teeth helps!
    Good luck!
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Years ago I had a terrible sweet tooth, and the same problem.

I have a granny smith apple(They're the green ones) is my late night snack!. It's crunchy, and tart/sweet and only 80 calories and plenty of fiber.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Yes that happens to me! I'm not sure what your living situation is, but I wouldn't buy anything you're tempted to snack on. It sucks when everyone eats Oreos and I have nothing to snack on, but that ends up being better for my body anyway.
    And if I really can't resist, I sneak a cookie from my roommates. Or maybe buy a small bag of Hershey's Miniatures and allow yourself one or two when that sweet tooth really hits.
  • jilncats
    jilncats Posts: 1
    Options
    WHere did you get your "theta waves"? Podcast/app? Is it still working? I throw everything to the wind by 8:00 pm and I am uncontrollable.
  • sd892310
    sd892310 Posts: 151
    Options
    I do the same so i know how you are feeling, and posted a similar topic about it the other day. ideas from other MFP users that helped me was to not buy the stuff in the first place (also OH sabotages this as his sweet tooth is as bad as mine, but lucky for him he NEVER puts weight on!), and also to go and do some exercises when the cravings hit or when OH gets the biscuits out. I just go upstairs, do 20-30 mins of exercising and then find that i can sit back down with a nice hot cupper and feel destressed and cravings go.