Swimming as primary exercise and weightloss.

Options
Question: Granted proper diet, is swimming alone(with actual effort) good enough to see steady fat loss? Has anyone on here had success with swimming as their primary exercise?

I am having issues sticking with a exercise plan I like but I know its needed. I was reading an article about people who have lost weight and a lot of them stated exercise is easier if you find something you like. Back in high school we were required to take a swim class and I ended up loving it but after I graduated I was too shy to be seen in public in a bathing suit but after some consideration I decided to take advantage of the free water exercise classes and open swim at my local pool. (Its open all year long)

Thank you

PS: I have heard about people tending to eat more after swimming. I am prepared to make sure I watch out for that. I just really would like to find something I love that will get me in shape.

Replies

• Rimmalicious
    Rimmalicious Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I've been swimming for 30mins along with cycling to and from the pool (another 30mins) daily for the last 10 months as my primary exercise and I've lost 42kgs. Obviously this was also with controlled calorie intake, but I've found that it's worked for me. I started doing it as cycling and swimming are sports I enjoy so it's enabled me to keep it up long enough to meet my goals, so i would say go for it.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen. There is no need to exercise to lose weight.
  • wackyncrazy1
    wackyncrazy1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i swim at least one or two days a week. Then i go do cardio on a machine the other days. It helps me keep losing and i enjoy the swimming or treading water or running laps in the pool it works out more of my body and i don't get bored. Do what ever you enjoy and control your eating you will lose weight.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great cardio. Just make sure you keep your legs kicking as that can make the difference between slacking and killing it in the pool :) You'll work harder with a kickboard than doing freestyle without using your legs. It won't make you any hungrier than any other good workout ie running.
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think that any activity that gets you moving is going to be beneficial. I was a swimmer all of my life, growing up in Texas and Louisiana, and I was lean and mean until life got into the way of my swimming habit. :wink:
  • kyrah702
    kyrah702 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just started swimming as well (and by the way, you can get 'unitard' bathing suits if you feel uncomfortable in a two piece or one piece)

I just do freestyle swimming in the lanes. I'm rehabbing my knee so I have to take it easy on the kicking every so often. I really enjoy being in the water, it's a lot more fun to me than going to a gym. I'm starting at two days a week and going from there. How long I'm in the pool for is entirely dependent on my knee but as things get better I'll be able to work harder in the pool.

I'd say do water aerobics as well as lane swimming to keep yourself interested and to continue enjoying it - that's my plan anyway.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    How many calories you eat are going to effect steady weight loss the most. Exercise can help create the deficit needed but your focus for weight loss should be proper nutrition. If using MFP, chose a realistic and sustainable level of loss. Eat some of those exercise calories back to avoid to large a deficit and burn-out.
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Swimming laps is an excellent calorie burn and great cardio! You will have fat/weight loss, as long as you are staying within your calorie intake for the day and tracking well. I swim several times a week for 1-1.5 hours each time. I use it for cardio cross training for my running. If you are swimming with effort, you will get hungry! Watch your calorie intake. I usually have a banana before (quick energy). And then water with Nuun tablet and Nuun Plus tablet during (if I am swimming over an hour - for electrolyte replacement and fuel carb) ). Like any other workout, you sweat while you swim (people forget that!), so having a water bottle with you is a great idea - and will make you less hungry after. After a longer hard swim, I follow up with a bar right away- my favs are Picky Bars - something with a good carb/protein ratio to aid in muscle recovery. Have fun with it! Swimming is awesome exercise!
  • Miss_TeaPot
    Miss_TeaPot Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I went to the pool and swam for over and hour my first day. Did water aerobics on the seconds. Its crazy fun and I really feel it in my body. I will stick to it. I have already lost weight.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I have a knee injury and under doctor's recommendations swimming is really the only cardio I can do, other than short walks. And it tends to hurt after even a short walk, so swimming needs to be my main exercise. So I really hope so! I'm not so thrilled about the dry hair situation, though.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have acute osteoarthritis in both knees after ruining them doing 14 years in warehouse work. I have discovered as long as I keep active my knees stay lubricated and don't get so stiff. As the weight comes off, I have some relief as well. I hope to someday, stop the Kenelog injections I subject my knees to every 6 months. My Aquafit classes help a lot with this.