Could I seriously have eaten 190g of shreddies?

Options
I just had one normal bowl of cereal and didn't know how much weight in grams it was and I therefore couldn't see the calories. There are 500g in a box and I had just a normal - large bowl of it. I ate it and then I weighed the rest of the bag of cereal and apparently there's only 310g of shreddies left in the bag? 190g? Could a bowl even take 190g worth of shreddies it wasn't even like a mixing bowl or any thing, just a normal-ish bowl. Please help me some one.

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    weigh the bowl you used...then zero it out and fill it to where you had it and weigh the cereal, it won't be EXACT because you're estimating where you filled it to, but it will tell you if that much fits in that bowl...
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    Options
    unlikely, I just filled a bowl sized tupperware with (fake) shreddies, and couldn't fit more than 160g in, and that would have been a big bowl. Is 500g the net weight, does it include the pox and packet? My fake shreddies say 30g is a serving size, I'd double that at least to 60g to be on the safe size as serving sizes are not usually generous and leave it at that.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Noooo.... Jeewiss that would take me two weeks to eat that much for breakfast!! Haha!! No, if you had a large bowl of shreddies then I reckon its about 60g tops.... 35g of Special K is minuscule so about double that.... I'd go for 55-60g love x
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I just had one normal bowl of cereal and didn't know how much weight in grams it was and I therefore couldn't see the calories. There are 500g in a box and I had just a normal - large bowl of it. I ate it and then I weighed the rest of the bag of cereal and apparently there's only 310g of shreddies left in the bag? 190g? Could a bowl even take 190g worth of shreddies it wasn't even like a mixing bowl or any thing, just a normal-ish bowl. Please help me some one.

Reminds me of a quote from statisticians, "statistics don't lie, but people who make statistics do". Just trying to say, make sure the numbers you're reading are right. If they are right, then mathematically yes you did. Make sure you're not confused about ounces and grams. Make sure your scale is set to grams.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Theres no way she ate that much...
  • Katherine1687
    Katherine1687 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Shreddies do weigh a lot. You do not get many shreddies in 30g so a large bowl would weigh quite a bit.
  • toys4x4boys
    toys4x4boys Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't suprise me either, the 40g serving of most, is very little in a normal breakfast bowl.

I know I was suprised just how many grams I was having usually.

And shreddies despite their look are heavy little buggers ;)
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    I don't eat shreddies personally, but I know that 30g of special K (which is one serving according to the box) isn't very much so I can imagine that it's possible to fit 160g in a bowl, as long as it's a large bowl. What I do is measure out the cereal before I put it in the bowl.
  • jillus500
    jillus500 Posts: 8
    Options
    I just weighed out 190 g into an average/ large cereal bowl and the bowl was full to the brim, it looked like a huge portion with no room for milk.
  • claeysm
    claeysm Posts: 85
    Options
    cereal weighs in really heavy.. to have 30g is a TINY portion :(
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I reckon so easily. A friend of mine worked out his one bowl of breakfast cereal contained 500 calories. The 30g serving they state on the box is about half a handful.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I think I could get about 100g in my bowls if I filled to the top. The 30g servings they recommend are TINY.
    190g sounds a bit extreme though, why don't you pour another bowl in. Put the bowl on the scales, set to zero and weigh to where you roughly had it last time.
  • lealea25
    lealea25 Posts: 12
    Options
    190g is a lot to eat without knowing about it. My brother eats his cereal from a big pudding bowl. I weighed one of his normal servings and it was about 80g and it was full to the brim and difficult to get milk in. Could someone have eaten some of the sheddies without you realising? Or did you open them?
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Shreddies are pretty dense, so it's entirely possible.

Having nutritional information on the side of the packet along the lines of "1 Serving = X Calories", means it's easy to think that a "serving" is what you'd consider a normal amount, when in fact you're probably eating far more than a serving.

Few people have any idea what food weighs until they try it on the scales. You don't have to weigh it every day, but you do need to have an idea of how much you're eating. You do have scales, so what you need to do is to put the bowl on the scales, zero the counter, add the amount you'd normally eat, and see how much it weighs.

You may find you've been eating far more than you think, I certainly did - none of us got this fat by overestimating their food!

"Block" items such as weetabix or shredded wheat instead of shreddies make it far harder to "accidentally" add a bit more.
    The stated weights on the boxes are never accurate anyways...
    Really? In the UK, and in fact throughout the EU we have strict labelling laws which are rigorously enforced. If you're from a developed country I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case where you are too.
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    190 grams seems a bit over the top.

It might have been about 100gr though, but not likely more.

Maybe there was just less than 500gr in the box?
  • julia23
    julia23 Posts: 87
    Options
    I've weighed out 30g of shreddies and it's about 6. I've also done what i think a normal bowl is and it was 90g! So depending on your bowl and how much you think a big but normal bowl counts as then it is possible!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, just out of interest I measured out what I would class as a portion of cereal. i weighed it. It was almost exactly 30g, so I wouldn't call that tiny. But then, it depends what you're used to.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    The weights can be up to 25% over the stated weight. They can't be under, though. But they often include the box and any other packaging too.
    Here, in the UK, if the weights include the packaging they must clearly state either "Gross" or "Including Packaging".

These days, in accordance with EU directives, a very small percentage of the items tested are allowed to be under the stated weight, but only by a very small amount, for instance you'd be looking at (for instance) 15g in a 500g box.

Is it more likely that the box was drastically underweight, or that the OP poured a lot more into the bowl than they thought?

Mrchantele123, we're all curious, weigh a bowlful and let us know - or maybe someone was playing a trick on you! :bigsmile: