Calories burned calculator

Options
I went on a 1 mile walk (30 min) at 3.0 mph with my 33lb toddler on my back. I weigh 204 and I'm 5'4.5 I walked on the road then up and down a hill.

Is there a calculator that I can use to give me a rough estimate of calories burned?

I looked somewhere (over a week ago so I can't remember where) and is said roughly 325 calories. Do you think that's grossly over estimated?

I know hrm is the best way and I plan on getting one next week when I have the funds.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    mgonyer123 wrote: »
    I went on a 1 mile walk (30 min) at 3.0 mph with my 33lb toddler on my back. I weigh 204 and I'm 5'4.5 I walked on the road then up and down a hill.

Is there a calculator that I can use to give me a rough estimate of calories burned?

I looked somewhere (over a week ago so I can't remember where) and is said roughly 325 calories. Do you think that's grossly over estimated?

I know hrm is the best way and I plan on getting one next week when I have the funds.

Your burn is grossly over estimated. It's closer to 110 calories based on the formual in the linked article and MET data.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning

HRMs are only near accurate for a narrow range of steady state cardio activities at moderate to high intensities ... walking is not one of those activities.
  • mgonyer123
    mgonyer123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    So adding 30lbs on my back doesn't do anything? I was definitely in a steady state of cardio. She's heavy lol
  • brianpperkins
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mgonyer123 wrote: »
    So adding 30lbs on my back doesn't do anything? I was definitely in a steady state of cardio. She's heavy lol

That is with the added 33 pounds.

(204+33) x 1.5 miles x .3 = 237 x 1.5 x .3 = 106.65 (estimated)
  • TheMrsKKB
    TheMrsKKB Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just to give you a comparison (and I agree with the above poster that 325 would be grossly overstated even with the extra 30lbs). I hiked yesterday with a HRM on for 1:50 minutes, elevation gain of 700+ at one point for a total distance of 4.6 miles and my active calories burned for that was 402!! Have you tried the Runnerskeeper app? I has a walking option and calculates your pace etc. based on GPS. It certainly isn't exact but possibly a better estimate until you get your HRM?
  • mgonyer123
    mgonyer123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I has S Health that maps out how fast I walk and how far and how long.

Man that blows. Almost not worth it.

I kid I kid. Mostly.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    There is a reason why the devices are called "heart rate monitors" and not "calorie counters".
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,989 Member
    Options
    The general calculation that seems to work for me is ...

100 cal for every 30 min of walking, and that's walking relatively briskly often with some hills included.

As for the extra 33 lbs ... that's exactly what I carried around with me when I first signed up with MFP. Happily, I've lost it. Maybe I should drop my calories burned down to 98 for every 30 min or something. :)