Fat Controversy!

Options
Hey all,
I keep going over my fat intake for the day before I even finish breakfast! I eat very healthy, but one tablespoon of coconut oil and an avocado (part of my usual breakfast) put me over my 'recommend fat intake'.

MFP defaulted my macronutients to 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. Does this seem off to anyone?? I changed the settings to about 30/30/30

I'm a new mom and was eating tons of protein during my pregnancy (as a recommendation from my doula and doctor) as much as 80 grams a day! And since I've been breastfeeding, I've continued to eat a lot of proteins and fats.

What do you guys think a good ratio should be?? What are your thoughts on fats? Good or bad?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I use the default of 50-30-20. I often go over on fat and a bit under on carbs. I think consuming fat is fine. I look most at the calorie and protein goals and let the other things take care of themselves.
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've also adjusted my ratios to include more fat and fewer carbs. Doctor and Doula can give you more recommendations now that you're nursing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    50-30-20 is a fine ratio, in theory, but so is 30-30-30, in theory. There are a wide range of healthy macro percentages and it largely depends on your specific needs and preferences.

One problem is that percentages don't mean much without the actual grams. I am currently at 1700 calories, so MFP's 20% protein is 85 grams, which is probably fine for me at 125, although I prefer to eat a little more (I do 30%). Some endurance athlete who consumes 4000 calories per day may need only 10% protein and yet still get the number of grams that make sense for his bodyweight and lean mass and goals.

Similarly, it's recommended to have about .35g/lb of fat, so for me the .3 that MFP gives me at 1700 (a bit more than 55 g) is more than I need and an amount I personally like.

If I were at 1200, MFP's numbers would give me 60 g protein and 40 grams fat, which I would consider far too low, so when I did 1250 I changed my numbers to be 35% protein and fat and 30% carbs.

However, I REALLY hope you aren't doing 1200 or anywhere near that while breastfeeding.
  • Dex37
    Dex37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    80g of protein a day isn't a ton. I'm not sure about the 30/30/30, where is the other 10%? I do a 45/25/30 on a 2500 calorie diet to lose 1lb/wk.

Yes, you will burn about 500 calories a day while breastfeeding. So add that to your BMR and don't go below that total.
  • kellydavis970
    kellydavis970 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks lumercat and everyone for all the responses! I guess it all depends on your fitness and activity level. And probably you body type. By 30/30/30, I really mean 33.3/33.3/33.3 ;) just split into thirds. Does anyone know about eating for your body type? (I'm just kind of nerdy about this)
  • kellydavis970
    Options
    I guess I didn't eat a lot of protein before I got pregnant because when I started trying to eat 80g a day, it was really hard! Now it's pretty easy though, so that's good!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Tbsp of oil + avocado is about 45g -> 400 calories. For 400 to be more than 30% of daily, your goal can't be more than....1350 calories.

Is that right?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    What's the coconut oil for????
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Thanks lumercat and everyone for all the responses! I guess it all depends on your fitness and activity level. And probably you body type. By 30/30/30, I really mean 33.3/33.3/33.3 ;) just split into thirds. Does anyone know about eating for your body type? (I'm just kind of nerdy about this)

No such thing, unless you mean eating at least enough protein for your lean mass and whether you plan on doing heavy lifting and eating enough carbs for your planned cardio....
  • kellydavis970
    Options
    What's the coconut oil for????

I cook eggs in it and spread it on toast (in place of butter) Love it!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Fats, good fats are not bad for you at all. My macros are set to 15% carbs, 20% protein and 65% fats and I'm still losing weight, in fact 14lb in one month.
  • kellydavis970
    Options

No such thing, unless you mean eating at least enough protein for your lean mass and whether you plan on doing heavy lifting and eating enough carbs for your planned cardio....

I mean like mesomorph/endomorph/exomorph? Does anyone know about that in reference to what kind of ratios they have?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

I mean like mesomorph/endomorph/exomorph? Does anyone know about that in reference to what kind of ratios they have?

No no no.

Don't even follow the somatotypes lol. They're completely useless.
  • kellydavis970
    Options

No no no.

Don't even follow the somatotypes lol. They're completely useless.

Hahaha! OK
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Tbsp of oil + avocado is about 45g -> 400 calories. For 400 to be more than 30% of daily, your goal can't be more than....1350 calories.

Is that right?
    I was wondering about this myself. Thanks for doing the math.

@kellydavis970 how tall are you? For you to be over on fat at breakfast, I'm wondering if your weight loss goals are overly aggressive.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Excuse me. If as a "new mum" you are also nursing you have different requirements to the norm. I am not sure if there is a group on here for someone in this situation.
  • kellydavis970
    Options
    In addition to the avocado and coconut oil, I also eat 3 eggs for breakfast (plus toast)... I like breakfast :) And sometimes I go a little heavy on the coconut oil witch puts me closer to 60-70g of fat for breakfast. Too much fat?
    I'm eating between 1500 and 1700 kcals a day but not really stressing about the calories. (I just like to log my food because I make healthier food choices when I know I have to write it down.) I'm really just listening to my body right now. I eat when I'm hungry and milk supply is doing great. @kshama2001 and @Mr_Knight
  • kellydavis970
    Options
    Oops! 5'4 @kshama2001 didn't answer your Q.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I started using a coconut oil cooking spray to cook my eggs instead of oils because the fat is negligible and I get more calories for food =]. Would you consider using liquid egg whites to replace 2 of the eggs to get the same protein but reduce fat?
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    just wanted to mention, if you are breastfeeding don't go low carb. ketosis may affect your breast milk. lower-carb, sure :) 40% carb is the minimum i would go with.